Overclocking Help (AMD 64x2 3800+)

Reils777

n00b
My friend is asking me to do some posting for him.

His problem is that over time, he will end up upgrading. His PC right now 'sucks', but he wants to squeeze out all the power he can out of his system, without frying his mobo.

He dosn't know anything right about overclocking. All he did so far was use Clockgen to overclock his FSB from 200 MHz to 220 MHz, which OC'd the RAM and the Processor. He cannot go any higher without the PC being unstable. So can anyone here post good detail information on how to OC his CPU, or if anyone is willing to talk to him, drop me a PM and I'll send you his xFire info. If not then he'll be watching this forum.

Note: 200 MHz isn't what his FSB is, its what ClockGen reads, its actually 1000 MHz.

Computer Specs (for him):
6150BK8MC-KRSH Foxconn Budget Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 x2 3800+ (OC'd to 2.2GHz)
2GB DDR400 Kingston RAM (Dual Channeled)
eVGA GeForce 8800GT Superclocked
350w Antec Power Supply

Not to rain on your parade, but you probably won't get much more out of that chip than 220.

You can try to up the cpu voltage to help stabilize, but I doubt it will help. Only increase in small increments, don't go crazy. Also if plan on doing any overclocking, a good cpu cooler is in order, 939 chips run pretty hot as is.

depends on the chip, my old 3800 x2 (toledo)will do 2.6 easy on stock volts ,average for these was around 2.4

Well if its a toledo all your friend has to figure out is how to drop the HT multi link through bios and he's good for at least a 2.6 overclock on stock vcore.

2.2 is pathetic on that chip. It should go a lot higher.
Your problem is most likely the memory. You need to put it on a divider . You can't just increase the FSB because the CPU will take it but the memory won't.

There are plenty of guides that tell you how to do that. (there's a sticky in this forum too). Just look around a little...

theres a few problems with that rig, one the powersupply is a joke, if ur friend wants to OC he must have an efficient powersource, 2, the FSB is indeed 200 by default, its 200fsb x 10x multiplier which gives u the 2ghz default clock, and 3, the mileage of ur friends chip is gonna vary like all of our chips, its just trial and error and repeats. and over clockin amd is fairly simple, thrown memory onto a divider, increase the fsb, apply volts to keep on going until you've reached about 55C when doing a stress test thats when u stop increasin volts,. 4, your friends using a foxcon board, i've never heard of any great foxcon boards back in the 939 era, it was mainly the DFI sorta thing ;)

that foxconn board may max out at 225 FSB, maybe 240 if you re lucky. Other than the DFI RS482 and the Biostar TForce 6100-939, most mATX 939 boards were unstable past 240.

well i dunno about that. I still run my trusted asrock dual sata2, which i got for like 65 bucks or something at 300FSB.
Been running strong for over 3 years now with an opty 165 at 2.7 GHz (that's 50% OC over the stock 1.8GHz!!!.).

Probably the the best bang for buck build i've ever had. But that's mostly due to the insane OC capabilities of the opty 165....quite possibly the best chip amd ever put out.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is using a greater ram/fsb divider. Mine did 2.6 (260x10) on the stock volts, but I had to keep the ram speed less than 440 (or 220). That was on a Foxconn nForce4 board

I have the same cpu and MB too, The highest stable OC I got was 3Ghz but it doesn't perform any faster than running it at 2.7Ghz. This is on air with a a zalman
7000alcu. He needs to overclock from the BIOS and not with clockgen. If you're still interested in the OC look here:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1226888&highlight=3800

I think there are even links on how-to overclock an AMD in that post.

My friend is asking me to do some posting for him.

His problem is that over time, he will end up upgrading. His PC right now 'sucks', but he wants to squeeze out all the power he can out of his system, without frying his mobo.

He dosn't know anything right about overclocking. All he did so far was use Clockgen to overclock his FSB from 200 MHz to 220 MHz, which OC'd the RAM and the Processor. He cannot go any higher without the PC being unstable. So can anyone here post good detail information on how to OC his CPU, or if anyone is willing to talk to him, drop me a PM and I'll send you his xFire info. If not then he'll be watching this forum.

Note: 200 MHz isn't what his FSB is, its what ClockGen reads, its actually 1000 MHz.

Computer Specs (for him):
6150BK8MC-KRSH Foxconn Budget Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 x2 3800+ (OC'd to 2.2GHz)
2GB DDR400 Kingston RAM (Dual Channeled)
eVGA GeForce 8800GT Superclocked
350w Antec Power Supply

I've got two X2 3800+ chips on two different boards (Asrock SataII & Epox m-ATX) and both do 2.6 easily. To be honest, I don't run them over 2.2 because I'm interested in stability, low heat, and low noise. Running at 2.6 seemed a little snappier but, for what I do, I saw no great benefit. The dual cores run everything in the blink of an eye anyway. Of course, I don't run latest, greatest games on high settings either. My GPU is my limiting factor.
Upgrade video card or add more Ram might do more than OC.

It should do 2.4 easy. I currently run 2.7, but I have a thermo electric cooler on mine. The keys are that you adjust your hypertransport ratio to keep it under 1000, or most of those boards bet unstable. 2.4 should be definitly stable, even with just a normal cooler. If I remember right, there is an athlon 64 overclock guide out there somewhere...or there used to be, I thought it was stickied. Anyhow, it goes through finding our limits on memory, your limits on hypertransport, etc, in order to figure out your theoretical limits, and then walks you through stepping it up.

Basically these are the steps I went through:

1. Crank up memory speed slowly.
2. Is it stable? If so, keep moving it up.
3. When it is unstable, is your hypertransport over 1000? If so, adjust the multiplier to reduce it down below 1000.
4. If stable after reducing HT, then continue to turn up memory speed.
5. If you hit the point where your HT is in a known good stable range (usually below 1000, depending on motherboard) and you turn up the memory to the point where the system is unstable, you have probably reached the limit of your memory or chip.
6. At this point, you can try increasing chip voltage, or memory voltage to see if you can squeak more out of it. If I remember right, I just used the voltage settings of a 2.6 ghz chip, and didn't even F around with it.

Back