Overclocking AMD FM2+ - looking for a CPU - a little bit of cryptro

imre

Limp Gawd
HI,

I currently have an AMD X4 860K with FM2+ board A88X G43 board and i swear when i overclock it is useless.
It says its 4.2 ghz compared to the standard 3.7ghz BUT example for my mining coin or my generally anything using CPU like cpu passmark there is bugger all difference it is really pathetic, not sure why or what i am doing wrong

I also have an i7 2600k but the motherboard is a horrible board surprisingly with 2 PCI-E slots though.... buti can not overclock it, sadly.

Should i buy a new/second hand LGA 1155 board? or should i get a better FM2+ CPU?
Unsure what is the better route here.

I looked at getting a NEW intel board socket or just AM3 But i dont know, its a ton of money to get a new board and cpu its ridiculous.

Unless i get a low power i3 which performs the same as my 2600K if possible? I guess i would need a different socket board also for the i3's ?
Maybe i3 is a mistake?

The i7 2600k is huge on power 95 watts i think , same with my x4 860k

its a 3.7ghz cpu but it does turbo to 4, so on certain tests it could be only a 200mhz difference. I mean the performance for those AMD generations arent crazy but 200mhz should make something at least.

The intel board should also be able to do some multiple overclocking as well. You may need to take a look at some guides on voltage adjustments and stuff.

yeh so the intel mobo i have apparently is crap and does not support overclocking
i tried a few settings but no go
unless i take some screen shots for u to see

Hi , i can check for you when i am home.... its a Micro ATX Gigabte board and surprisingly it has 2 PCI-E slots which is pretty cool for MICRO.
I just want a board that can overclock my 2600K nicely....right now it doesnt do squat.
There are other settings like those thermal stuff but i dont understand it much.... i tried to disable stuff and enablex stuff and pump up the voltage on the CPU but it doesnt do bugger all...
I dont even see an increase in 100mhz or whatever, nothing

yeah if it was a micro there is a good chance it could be like a H61 or something lowerend which would not allow for multipler overclocking (I believe) you may have to take a look on ebay or some other second hand shops to find a z67 board or z77 they both should support your CPU.

Reactions: imre
like this
yeh so i tried to change the multiplier from 34x to 38x and it says the megahertz but when it boots in the post it still shows like 34x or i think 35x its very locked looks like.
performance in any app doesnt show anything
I actaully have underclocked my CPU now byt like 0.080 volts to try and save on electricity for my mining.

Is it worth it keeping this 1155 CPU and getting a nice board? with 2 FULL PCIe slots at least ?

Or it is better to get a later socket and a new i3 (low power) or i5 ? or that a waste of money ?

Ebay is okay i guess but i dont like the whole shipping story.... i reckon i need to a find a board here by me rather....
For smaller items maybe its fine because i can get somebody from the UK to bring it to me here in SA.
USA to here is possible , i used to ebay alot BUT i just dont want to go through the pain of duties and bullshit.
Sometimes u pay top dollar using FEDEX or DHL and u still have to pay for Import duties, its rubbish.
I also had a bad experience one time where i bought Sopranos DVD box set and they came in seperate packages, each season.... and i was not charged duties at all for 3 seasons and then 2 seasons i was and the values were completely different, i dont know why.
So thats why i am suspicions of the duties workers because i feel they dont know what they are doing at times.

Last edited:
ah yeah that does suck, i really cant say much about mining because i have never done any of it. I thought most mining was done with GPUs or something along those lines. Depending on how much you were looking to spend/upgrade may determine a few things.

A lot of people around here have been holding on to their 2600k cpus because they are still decent, the main thing you are missing out on is the newer chipset features. But most people that are running that processor have it closer to 4.5ghz on better cooling and a Z board.

When you get a chance can you find out the model of your board?

Back