Overclocking advice on motherboard (Asrock gaming vs gaming pro) and psu for 8700k at 5.1ghz (SL)

markm75

Gawd
I just picked up the 5.1 rated cpu from SL.. their qvl lists the ASRock Fatal1ty Z370 GAMING K6 Professional as the one in the list..

Has anyone used the non professional.. does it matter?

Also on ram.. i have 4 ddr4 3200 gskill chips for my current i7-6700k that are at 3200 and the cpu overclocked to 4.6.. i origianlly was going to use them with the new setup but i feel this wont work as well as say 2 chips instead of 4.. any suggestions on a reasonably priced 2 chip set of 32GB total? So far i've seen references to the trident Z series, the cas 15, seems to be around $450 shipped. Or maybe these gskills would be just as well off for around $370?

Then the PSU.. i read somewhere its suggested to go platinum level, not gold or less.. is this really true? My current power supply is the silverstone 1000 watt from about 5 years ago (not even rated gold or anything aside from 80%).. i was thinking of going with the evga 1000 watt gold series, but maybe this isnt a solid bet at these overclocked goals (the platinum version is around $80 more)? (i run a single 1080 gtx) (i would think the overall wattage is more important than the efficiency here no? which should be more than enough at 1000 watts) I run around 3 SSD and 3-4 regular sata drives with this and a hole bunch of usb.. i'm still thinking maybe i should scale back to 850 watt, however.. price wise.. at $165 for a gold evga 1000 watt, vs around $150 for an 850 watt, maybe not.

Any suggestions or tips here

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I read that there may be some issues with the asrock k6 and that the regular one has less cooling ability, so the professional is a better choice, if doing heavy avx2 etc (not sure i will, mainly rendering videos in 4k etc).. either way, the other board on the list is the asus maximus hero.. granted 2 less sata ports (one reason why i favored the k6 gaming regular edition or pro).. but i only use 6 total now as is.. any future addons would come from a sata card and external 4 bay raid unit.

So for around $230 shipped after coupons at superbiz, the maximus might be the better bet, i think

For the power supply replacement i've gone with the seasonic 850 watt here for around $109 shipped

And the ram, i'm going with the gskill trident z's cas 15's here for $409 plus tax (cheapest could find), now out of stock thanks to me (ha)

Back