overclocking a panel to 200hz, will it cut the lifespan of panel?

newls1

Supreme [H]ardness
Just wondering, if a given panel advertises it can be OC'd to 200hz refresh rate (normal is 144hz) will this actually shorten the life expectancy of panel badly? Just wondering.

Nah, they just use the term overclocking because of constraints or not wanting to warrant it (ie not 100% qa at that performance level)

Yeah, a lot of monitors that accept overclocked refresh rates simply drop the extra frames. I would suspect that since the monitor advertises 200hz it wouldn't drop them, but since it's advertised as "overclockable" and not simply just a supported refresh rate I would verify it is actually displaying the frames and not dropping them.

It is mostly a question of overlocking the LCD driver hardware (i.e. the ASIC/chips that accept input and drive the LCD panel) as opposed to the panel itself being adversely affected by running at higher frequencies. The monitors are advertised as being overclocked because they are being driven at specs outside of the specs guaranteed by the manufacturer (of the driver hardware), and while they generally work, they are not guaranteed to work at that spec indefinitely. Also to note, by my understanding, increasing the frequency of the panel past it's advertised maximum generally requires running the ASIC itself (or portions of the driver circuit) at a higher clock rate, to so the two are related, but not the same thing.

If the ASIC/display circuits are being overdriven, just like other silicon that is overdriven/overclocked, you can run into two potential issues, it could fail altogether from heat related issues (e.g. burning out surface mount components that are heat sensitive) OR you could get some degradation on the silicon/circuit components over time, where it is no longer able to maintain the overclock, but should still run at normal frequencies, which is slightly more common.
This is just my application of what I know about how these things work to overclocked monitors- I would think you're more likely to have a monitor fail to run problem free at the overclock frequencies before it just dies, but I'm not an expert of lifespan expectancies of overclocked monitors (not sure many people are, outside of the LCD panel industry).

Reactions: Nenu
like this
As sethk pointed out the panel will create more heat which has side effects.
An issue related to it is higher chance of image retention.
I used to make projectors from LCD panels, if the cooling wasnt up to snuff it caused image retention.
ie a ghost image of things that had been left on display for some time.
Above approx 40C made it much worse but current panels might be more or less prone, this was about a decade back.
Enough heat will cause it.

As sethk pointed out the panel will create more heat which has side effects.
An issue related to it is higher chance of image retention.
I used to make projectors from LCD panels, if the cooling wasnt up to snuff it caused image retention.
ie a ghost image of things that had been left on display for some time.
Above approx 40C made it much worse but current panels might be more or less prone, this was about a decade back.
Enough heat will cause it.

Is this why for example reference level monitors seem to have pretty beefy cooling in the back? Sony has I think full RGB OLED and now dual layer LCD models that have excellent picture quality for mastering purposes but they certainly aren't thin like TVs.

Is this why for example reference level monitors seem to have pretty beefy cooling in the back? Sony has I think full RGB OLED and now dual layer LCD models that have excellent picture quality for mastering purposes but they certainly aren't thin like TVs.
Yes.
Heat is the enemy of electronics generally, devices wear out quicker, calibration is lost faster.
But at the same time, calibrated devices require a minimum ambient temp as well which should be part of the documentation, even though they may wear out less when cooler.

Calibration can be skewed just from being too hot or cold.
There is a range of operating temps from the ambient temperature it was calibrated at, and for the components to operate effectively.

Back