Overclocking 5870 or 5970 on an Asus P6T

Zefram0911

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi all,

I'm having tons of problems overclocking my Ati video cards on my Asus P6T. Are there BIOS settings I should be looking in to?

I have both 5870 and 5970, but only use one at a time. I connect a Dell 30'' and 24'' to the 2 DVI ports and a 24'' to the Displayport. Whenever I use Ati Overdrive or MSI Afterburner to overclock either card, I get a tearing or weird jiggly going across my monitors. This happens even before I enter a game and just when it's 2D on the desktop. I can't even raise any of the clocks 1Mhz without this happening.

I don't believe it's the limitations on the cards, but some setting or incompatibility that I've missed. Help? Thanks.

Try overclocking with only one monitor connected. Eyefinity also only works with the same resolution on all 3 monitors doesn't it?

Try overclocking with only one monitor connected. Eyefinity also only works with the same resolution on all 3 monitors doesn't it?

yep but you can still have 3 different resolutions hooked up if your not using the eyefinity settings.. but all 3 displays could be 1920x1080 as well but still wouldnt look right unless hes using softTH..

the only setting in the bios that effects the gpu's is the pci-e clock.. which should be at 100mhz.. other then that there really isnt anything else that could effect the cards.. which drivers are you using and have you tried any others?

I'm not using Eyefinity. The monitors are all connected at their native resolutions. I'm using the latest 10.4s and I've tried 10.4a, 10.3, 10.2... they've all yielded the same results.

I'll give one monitor a shot, but that kind of stinks if I could only overclock using one monitor.

try boosting NB voltage a smithen.

There may simply be to much stress on the NB, due to the power/data requirements of the three Cypress cores. (I swear I have seen this referenced somewhere).

try boosting NB voltage a smithen.

There may simply be to much stress on the NB, due to the power/data requirements of the three Cypress cores. (I swear I have seen this referenced somewhere).

I already have my CPU at 1.35, CPU PLL at 1.96 QPI at 1.35

Here's what I did. I have a Ati 4550 laying around and don't really plan on using Eyefinity, so I attached the two 24'' onto the 4550. Now I'm able to overclock the 5970. Looks like having all 3 monitors connected to the 5970 was too much for it to drive and overclock. I haven't pushed it too far using MSI Afterburner, but I'm at 800/1200 without much effort. The fan is disgustingly loud though, even at 45%.

Are you applying any voltage increases to the card? 1.05 is not really enough core voltage to reliably OC. My 5970 needs all of 1.125 to get to 850

I was using 1.200 but I didn't really test to see if I could lower it. I'm pretty sure it could go even high to 900/1300 maybe with 1.300? The fan is unbearably loud though and drives me nuts.

What tool(s) are you using to push your gpu voltage that high? I am having trouble getting my 5970 past 800/1200. I have played with afterburner and the ATI util. Not much luck with either.

Back