Overclocked AMD Phenom II X3 720BE, now temperatures soared?

My temperature sensors obviously don't work after the unlocking of the 4th core, but I do show TMPIN0 and TMPIN1 in Hmonitor. It seems to be showing idle around 55º C, but then right when I start playing Skyrim, it starts shooting up. I left it on once (before I realized the issue) and came back to my computer fully powered down.

Since then I've been monitoring the temps and saw it shoot up the 77º C after 15 minutes of gameplay. I quickly quit Skyrim and then it slowly went back down to the mid-50's. Does this make any sense? Is there any way to cool my chip enough to make the unlocked core worthwhile, or is it unstable?

Also, after unlocking 4th core, my computer froze the first 2 times I tried doing a Windows Experience Index. But I did go from a 6.7 to 7.2 when it finally worked....

you are not using the crappy heat sink that comes with the processor are you?

Still sounds like it's an unstable core even with the better cooling. It may help you crank up the voltage enough to keep it more stable tho. Have you considered just picking up a X4? They're routinely going for & 90 or so and if you can spare the cash, it might be worth it. A X4 965 would be stable at 4 cores and overclock a good bit better than a 720. Would be a solid bump in performance.

OP: If you'd like another identical chip, PM me. I've got one I'm willing to sell (yes, its 4th core unlocks).

If you are running it as X4, your temps are not accurate, period! (They tend to be about 20 degrees too high)

If you are running it as X4, your temps are not accurate, period! (They tend to be about 20 degrees too high)

Hmonitor lists all 4 cores @ 0º C.

I'm looking at the motherboard temperatures which list them as TMPIN0 and TMPIN1 (Screenshot attached)

GVV1VuH.jpg

Personally I have never used the stock HSF, its worth the $30 or so to upgrade it
when you build it, instead of after its all together.

Well, it's too late for that obviously...

Yeah, but you can still purchase one and install it(it also can be carried over to a new MB like an 1155). You might also put a fan over the MB that blows on the NB, vrm's, etc if you can.

OK, I have now reverted back to 3 cores, and realized that it wasn't the 4th core causing the overheating.

My CPUID Hardware Monitor is now showing just as high temps - even higher! See image below...

PsjaqMj.jpg

Now, is this accurate? How is my chip overheating to ridiculous temps after only 20 minutes of a game like Skyrim? I've played countless hours of this game and never had any shutdown/issues, so I assumed unlocking the 4th core was causing overheating...but clearly it's just as bad at overheating without the 4th core.

Thoughts? :-/

My 720 behaves pretty good if you keep it below 55 - 58. Running at 3.5Ghz has pretty decent gains over stock in Skyrim from my experience.

CoreTemp does, shows

CPU #0: 82º C

Keep in mind this is all running 100% stock again. I never overclocked or unlocked 4th core before this week, so I never paid any attention to the temps. I just bumped my case fans up to high, but how much of a difference could that possibly make... (I've got Antec 900 case)

have you reapplied thermal paste?(size of a grain of rice)

Have you cleaned the dust/dirt out?

Have you ensured you have proper airflow (from front of case to the rear of the case)?

have you reapplied thermal paste?(size of a grain of rice)

Have you cleaned the dust/dirt out?

Have you ensured you have proper airflow (from front of case to the rear of the case)?

No, no, and no...I've been lazy with that stuff, unfortunately. Could it really make that big of a difference? If so, I'll investigate.

I've always hated the thermal paste thing, how are you supposed to spread out paste the size of a "grain of rice" across the entire chip? I'm also hesitant to un-install the chip.

absolutely. You should at least do the 1st two. Blow that case out with an air compressor. Then take off the heatsink and remove the old thermal paste with Isopropyl Alcohol. Reapply new paste (size of a grain of rice) and reinstall heatsink.

You'll probably be amazed at the change

absolutely. You should at least do the 1st two. Blow that case out with an air compressor. Then take off the heatsink and remove the old thermal paste with Isopropyl Alcohol. Reapply new paste (size of a grain of rice) and reinstall heatsink.

You'll probably be amazed at the change

Alright, I'll give that a try this weekend.

Why don't you check idle temps and load temps while switching to bios to be certain, I had better luck getting good readings from AMD own overclocking utility.

Why don't you check idle temps and load temps while switching to bios to be certain, I had better luck getting good readings from AMD own overclocking utility.

Just downloaded AMD overdrive - getting the exact same readings. I don't know how my chip is still running if it has been routinely getting up to 89º C when playing Skyrim....

I was going to suggest you touch the heatsink but feeling near it if it is 70C+ should be good enough. If so my last line could be the answer.

If it is really hot then we have another problem if it is only luke warm then you have your answer ;) .

Btw it has been a known problem when unlocking cores that you get a really good increase in temps.

Last edited:
Saying that you didnt do any of the supporting work for the extra performance, IE;

Didn't blow out case
Didn't check TIM at the sign of high temps
Haven't ensure proper airflow

... is sort of like saying " I want the performance, but I dont want to work for it"

Blow out the fans. Blow out the heatsink, reapply TIM, or at least open the case side to compare.

Remember, the 4th core was locked on that for a reason... it failed QC and likely could cause problems.

Remember, the 4th core was locked on that for a reason... it failed QC and likely could cause problems.

Not always, towards the end it was a case AMD needed chips at all price points. Often there was nothing wrong with the fourth core.

Mine has never put a foot wrong in nearly 4 years.

Not always, towards the end it was a case AMD needed chips at all price points. Often there was nothing wrong with the fourth core.

Mine has never put a foot wrong in nearly 4 years.

My Zosma could unlock all 6 cores yet performance was poor it was due to an error, idle temps were horrible.

What you say is right , lets say over 65% of the Phenom II x3 720BE might have no problems unlocking the 4th core but it does not mean that everything is alright.

Then again if he checks his temps with just plain 3 cores it should also explain whether this due to unlock or just plain dust problem.

Well the issue with the tricore chips was that there were plenty of them on the initial runs of the chips. Due to the learning curve of producing fully functional 4 core chips on a new die. However, after a few months the yields and quality increase and AMD then finds that the number of chips with a faulty or less than perfect core are hard to find. However, demand for the 3 core chips (especially the 720BE which was a really popular chip) are running high so what do you do? You just pick a load of perfectly good quads and simply lock the 4th core. A sale is a sale!

Most of the newer 720's and their ilk are perfectly functional quad core chips.

I bought several 720's and also quite a few Athlon X3's late in their production runs and all of them unlocked and functioned perfectly. Hammered by runs of Prime95 etc. and they never squeaked once.

Back