Overclock your budget Alder Lake CPU with BCLK overclocking

bwang

[H]ard|Gawd
Roman Hartung, a.k.a. der8auer recently demonstrated that BCLK overclocking is possible on all Alder Lake CPUs, even the lowly Celeron G6900. The catch is (there's always a catch, isn't there) is that it seems to only work on certain rather expensive motherboards, though now that this feature is revealed other motherboard vendors have a good chance of jumping on it.

For those of you too young to remember, back in the good old days only the top of the line $999 'Extreme Edition' ('FX' in AMD's lineup) parts had unlocked multipliers; everything else was overclocked via the base clock, which was linked to most other frequencies in the system. This had a few notable standouts, most notably the Celeron 300A and Core i7-920 which were capable of 50% overclocks, easily surpassing the performance of CPUs two or three times their price.

Things are different now, of course, since stock clocks are through the roof and CPUs are segmented by core count, cache size, and binning, rather than a few hundred MHz difference in clock speeds, but it will still be interesting to see if there are any good deals to be had among the i3's and i5's. It's also pretty great for subzero overclocking, since folks who aren't sponsored can now blow up $59 Celerons in pursuit of world records, rather than $599 Core i9's.

Haven't done BCLK overclocking since 4770MQ Ivy Bridge where it was the only way you could overclock mobile processors. It was never very fruitful e.g. <100mhz and most often introduced instability around other components.

I feel like all enthusiast motherboards should come with clock generators. The more knobs to twiddle the better.

Glad to see BCLK OCs being worthwhile once again.

I didn't have the Celeron 300A, but I had the 333. It was quite the beast also going over 450Mhz. Then I had an opteron 165 that I managed to push to 3Ghz. Good times, would love for some of this to come back.

These days the returns on overclock are small in comparison, especially a video card! Plus since I did a lot of my overclocking long ago I hate to say it but I tend to get a little confused at all the newer settings. Voltage, FSB and memory divider was my jam.

Doesn't this happen with every Intel socket change? It's almost always patched out with firmware updates.

Doesn't this happen with every Intel socket change? It's almost always patched out with firmware updates.
The first time it was technically possible since Sandy Bridge was Skylake (when they decoupled the base clock from the PCI-e clock), but Intel implemented firmware measures to block it after it was discovered. It never worked very well either, you basically lost anything that had to do with the processor's power management.

The i5-12600 looks like an interesting SKU - at least some of the parts should represent the top-bin 6P dies (unfortunately, some will be bottom-bin 8P+8E dies), which means potential to clock as high as, or even higher than, the 12900K.

Back