Overclock Away: Intel Offers Insurance for Unlocked 10th Gen Comet Lake CPUs

erek

[H]F Junkie
Anyone gonna opt-in and pay for this insurance policy? Wonder if Intel is taking a short position against these policies to make bank via Credit Default Swaps.

"The PTPP is open to mainstream and HEDT (high-end desktop) processors. The cost of insuring the first is $19.99, while the latter will set you back $29.99. No matter which Comet Lake CPU you pick, the PTPP will cost you the same $19.99, which is the same price charged for insuring Intel's 9th Gen CPUs.

Looking at it from an economical standpoint, Intel's PTPP is a pretty good bargain for overclockers. Take the flagship Core i9-10900K, for example. The deca-core processor has gone up for preorder at $599.99, around $188 more expensive than Intel's MSRP. The PTPP represents less than 4% of the processor's cost. That's a small price to pay to protect your $600 investment."

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-10th-gen-comet-lake-k-series-insurance

addendum:

1589404458973.png

Isn't that what thermal throttling is supposed to prevent automagically?

No, that will prevent premature Electromigration failure

You can also kill a processor by running the voltage too high (and breaking the Silicon oxide insulation on on the MOSFET gates). Or giving it too much ESD (same result).

Last edited:
It's probably pointless outside of pro-overclocking, which it probably wouldn't cover.

In... around 13 years of hobbyist daily-driver overclocking, I've only seen one processor degrade over a 5 year span and that was pushing around 0.1v (0.08v) over recommended safe voltage on a i7 930 @ 4GHz; even then, only lost 0.2GHz and the processor was quite outdated by then.

The first thing I overclocked was a Celeron 333Mhz and around the same time a voodoo 3. So we're talking nearly 15 years ago. I've been overclocking all my systems since and the majority of that on water so it's not like I don't push them hard.

In all that time I haven't killed a single cpu. I keep these things as long as possible too. 5 years or more is normal for me.

How often do people break CPUs from overclocking?

Every hour of CPU use decreases the usable lifespan of the chip. Every hour of overclocked use, particularly over-volted hours, decreases the life of the chip by more than one normal hour of use.

It might take three, four, five-plus years of run time, but you can wear out a processor. Overclocking it will accelerate the process.

Every hour of CPU use decreases the usable lifespan of the chip. Every hour of overclocked use, particularly over-volted hours, decreases the life of the chip by more than one normal hour of use.

It might take three, four, five-plus years of run time, but you can wear out a processor. Overclocking it will accelerate the process.
While this is true, you're much more than likely to reach the MFG EoL [rendering any manufacturer "lifetime" guarantee void] before a high stable-daily overclock shows any adverse effects on any processor made in the past decade.

Consumer level talk; I wouldn't worry about normal OCing ruining a modern processor ever just because of use-case, upgrade cycles, and retirement use. I'm not trying to downplay the effects of OCing [which can easily cut the life of a processor to 1/4 with a normal OC], but the stock setting lifespans are much longer than their viability lifespan, in most cases. I mean the only real reason Haswells are still quite viable is because advancements had slowed down compared to previous generations; but, every machine [that hasn't be replaced/retired] that I've run a high OC on with that architecture is still doing what has been without hardware issues (4.6-4.8GHz near max safe voltages), even the retired machines are doing their thing at stock clock or under-clocked.

TLDR; don't worry about running a stable OC

Side Note - I'm both saddened and overjoyed by AMD's Precision Boost Overdrive 2 for the same reason; I don't need to spend around a month tweaking the BIOS/UEFI and stability testing every system.

Unless you expect it to last multiple years of always-on use, then yeah. If you do, expect to burn out processors.
Eh, my secondary PC is an OCed i5 4670k that's been running 4.6GHz nearly 24/7 since release. I dunno why I haven't reset or under-clocked it, but it sits in the corner and buzzes away at what I have it doing without issues.

Unless you expect it to last multiple years of always-on use, then yeah. If you do, expect to burn out processors.

My Q6600s would disagree with you. One of them was mostly retired last August. I had that thing running 3.6Ghz for over 10 years. That was daily use. Every. Single. Day. Much of that time was under heavy workload as in distributed computing projects, encoding and gaming. I beat the piss out of that CPU. And a couple of others just like it. None of the three have ever had a problem. I say mostly retired as the Q6600 I had in my main system was moved along with the heatsink to my server since it uses lower voltage than the one I had in there. It's now running 3.2Ghz every single day and never turned off just like before. It's also running 100% all time as I have a DC program running on it.

Burned out CPUs from overclocking are quite rare. Most overclocked CPUs last well beyond the usable life of the processor unless massively overvolted or undercooled.

My Q6600s would disagree with you. One of them was mostly retired last August.

There isn't a formula you can point to for how much time a CPU will last. Some will last a really, really long time, while some just won't.

Overclocking them will shorten the amount of time they last. That's just a reality that can't be avoided; it's essentially a law of thermodynamics.

There isn't a formula you can point to for how much time a CPU will last. Some will last a really, really long time, while some just won't.

Overclocking them will shorten the amount of time they last. That's just a reality that can't be avoided; it's essentially a law of thermodynamics.

You're claiming they will burn out quickly due to overclocking. That's not the case unless you are literally abusing the processors in well known ways. Without abuse an overclocked processor is almost always going to last longer than its useful lifespan. Hell, almost all other components are likely to die well before an overclocked processor will.

Believe it or not, there are a lot of us on this board who have been overclocking for decades. We have a lot of experience and data. We know what we're talking about. The vast majority of us have almost the exact same stories: The CPUs were just fine. We overclocked the piss out of them but did it within certain safety margins and they lasted just fine through any amount of time they were useful. In most cases the system was retired because it wasn't worth running anymore or something other than the CPU died. Of the stories where a CPU died most of them tend to end with: "Well, there was that time I massively overvolted the CPU for 6 months and used it as a frying pan."

Of course we know overclocking in most cases is going to reduce the lifespan of the CPU. The point is unless you abuse it the reduced lifespan is rarely ever going to be noticed. That's almost the exact opposite of what you're saying.

Almost every CPU I've had has degraded to some point when pushed moderately hard once finding absolute peak clocks.
A64s, Opteron X2, Duron, 2600k (x2) etc... I set a air record with an oppy x2 and a few months later it wouldn't hold stability at that same frequency (24hr primes etc).
Heard of same on 9900ks, Zen2, etc. It depends how hot, how much voltage/current and how [H]ard you use it.

Intel already had OC warranties in past so t his just sounds like PR mindshare fluff, even repeated PR crap is good for them to have them talked about. I for one couldn't care less what boiling volcanic lake they pull out of their ass, their shit is hot, chews power and is pretty disappointing. DDR5 is meh, it won't be cheap and it as usual wont be much better than DDR4 for a year or two anyway. Big shaker of 'meh'.

According to Intel the plan only last as long as your standard Warranty. So I do not see this being useful for the daily user with a tuned in overclock. They would most likely be fine and just be throwing money away. This is coming from a 4.6 2500K till I bought a 7700K...

I could see it being useful for first time sub-ambient cooling guys, but I haven’t read through the entire thing to see if would still be protected.

No, I said they will burn out more quickly, not quickly.
so what youre saying is they will explode and burn my house down?! ;)

this has to be for "pros". any normal use/oc would never need insurance, the chip would be obsolete before dying.

No, I said they will burn out more quickly, not quickly.
That still isn't very honest when 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of the time the CPU will outlast us all on what is considered a normal OC. I haven't managed to kill a CPU by overclocking, extreme and mundane, since the Athlon XP days.

Honestly you have a better chance of the CPU just spontaneously dying at stock clocks than you do from overclocking in my experience.

I haven't managed to kill a CPU by overclocking, extreme and mundane, since the Athlon XP days.
i killed one of those pushing too hard and an FX-8150 but that was the board going and taking it with. my old duron 600 is still running at 1000 in my ex-bro-in-law's garage...

According to the PTPP FAQ, the protection plan only applies to the duration of the standard warrantee. https://tuningplan.intel.com/faq
How long am I protected under the Plan?
The PTPP plan is valid for the duration of your standard processor warranty. The Plan does not extend the standard warranty, only offers additional coverage during the standard processor warranty period. For more information about the standard processor warranty see this FAQ page.

From the processor support FAQ, standard boxed warrantees are only for 3 years. https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005494/processors.html
Q: What type of warranty does Intel provide for its processors and what is the coverage length?
Intel® Processors are sold as either tray or boxed.
  • Intel® Boxed Processor: From an Intel® Authorized Distributor.
The Intel® Boxed Processors are sold to end users. In general, most Intel® Boxed Processors carry a three-year warranty supported by Intel. The warranty eligibility starts on the original purchase date and doesn't reset if or when Intel provides a product replacement.

This only provides protection for up to 3 years, assuming a retail purchase. So if your 20 year CPU dies after 10 years, this isn't going to protect you from that. The odds if it failing within the first 3 years, from overlocking is very slim. At the end of the 3 years, you just spent an extra $60 on the CPU. That's all this is, Intel trying to get more money from you without having to really do anything.

According to the PTPP FAQ, the protection plan only applies to the duration of the standard warrantee. https://tuningplan.intel.com/faq

From the processor support FAQ, standard boxed warrantees are only for 3 years. https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005494/processors.html

This only provides protection for up to 3 years, assuming a retail purchase. So if your 20 year CPU dies after 10 years, this isn't going to protect you from that. The odds if it failing within the first 3 years, from overlocking is very slim. At the end of the 3 years, you just spent an extra $60 on the CPU. That's all this is, Intel trying to get more money from you without having to really do anything.
And a reason to denied warranty when it happens with out insurance. How would they determine if the CPU died from a oc or just a power surge? Or any amount of other deaths.

Back