Over View of New Build

DonoHAM

n00b
So here is the build I'm currently going after.

Case: COOLER MASTER HAF X

Mother Board: ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Professional AM3+

Video Card(s): EVGA DS SuperClocked 01G-P3-1567-AR GeForce GTX 560 Ti (2) SLI

PSU: COOLER MASTER Silent Pro Gold Series RS800-80GAD3-US 800W ATX 12V v2.3

CPU: AMD FX-8150 Zambezi 3.6GHz

SSD: Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD2 2.5" 64GB SATA III

Memory: G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB

Asus VH238H Black 23" Full HD HDMI LED Backlight LCD Monitor (2)

Any suggestions? And I will be sticking to the AMD CPU

I've help and try and give you some good advice and the reasoning behind it.

Basically, everything looks good, however, I wouldn't mess with that tiny 64gig SSD drive. After format, your OS install and apps, your going to be left with I'm guessing around 37gigs. I would strongly recommend that you give up one of the LCD's for now and invest instead in a 120gig SSD. You can live with a 120gig no problem as your main OS / Game Install drive and it has several games and apps installed with 60+gig free that is, when I just had a 120gig SSD. 64gigs will leave you no breathing room, trust me. I run 2 x 120 Corsair Force 120's in Raid-0 and I have more room than I know what to do with, 230+ odd gig after format I think. The cost difference between the 64 and 120 is maybe 50 dollars. That leaves you enough room to upgrade your PSU to a Corsair AX850 with enough room left over for a 24x Asus DVD burner.

Another option is moving to a nice 24" LED backlit Acer / Asus Monitor, just one and use the difference in savings toward, again, a 120gig SSD.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'd look at either the Corsair TX850 V2 or the Antec High Current Gamer 900, but honestly, you could probably get by with 750W instead.

Win7 pro, with hibernation and page file disabled, will take up around 20GB. I have a 64GB M4 and win7, excel, word, outlook, pp, some misc programs, and 7GB game, I have around 36GB free. Works fine for me. Depending on what games you will be playing, you may want larger. BF3 requires 20GB for the install. The larger drives have faster write speeds by about 100 MB/s iirc.

For the SSD I plan on Win7 with steam and minor other things I use on a daily basis.

And I will be sticking to the AMD CPU

I agree with Danny. I just cannot recommend any of the AMD FX series CPUs at all at this time: They all have a really shitty performance-to-price ratio, and they consume a lot of power for such unspectacular performance. In fact, the performance of the FX-8150 with lightly-threaded apps (those that use no more than four threads) is slower than even some of the older Phenom II CPUs, let alone Intel Sandy Bridge dual-core CPUs. So far, Bulldozer/Zambezi has proved itself to be an extreme disappointment (relative to the hype it has received) - at least in its current form.

With that said, if you must go AMD, stick with the quad-core Phenom II x4 955BE.

Last edited:
What games are you going to play? At what level of visual quality?

Hell, where are you planning to buy parts from?

All parts are going to be bought from Newegg. I would like to be gaming at Max Setting on those 2 moniters. And Ill be playing BF3/BF2 and maybe some Skyrim

All parts are going to be bought from Newegg. I would like to be gaming at Max Setting on those 2 moniters. And Ill be playing BF3/BF2 and maybe some Skyrim

Please answer the sickied "ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS!" so that we can help you better.

Back