Over ear, Wireless, Open-back Headphones?

Discussion in 'Computer Audio' started by GreenOrbs, Jul 9, 2017.

1. GreenOrbs

GreenOrbs Limp Gawd

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good pair of wireless (preferably bluetooth) open-back headphones. I'm looking for the following characteristics but am having trouble finding models that have all these features:

• Open back headphones
    • Wireless preferably Bluetooth
    • Over ear/comfortable
    • Mic would be nice but not required
    Desired sound qualities:
    • Good directional sound/expansive soundstage
    • Sparkly treble without recessed mids
    • Precise bass (don't like too much bass)
    I tried Sennheiser HD 558's with an external mic but did not like the very thick wire dangling down. Additionally, the treble sounded a bit muffled in my opinion. Ended up returning the HD 558's. Suggestions would be appreciated.

2. RogueTadhg

RogueTadhg [H]ard|Gawd

I used Astros A50 for a little while - a couple weeks. I returned them because the Bluetooth - ugh - frustrating enough that I went wired :p

Sennheiser HD 4.40 BT. Wireless for the same cost of a 558. Closed Back.

3. HammerSandwich

HammerSandwich Gawd

4. GreenOrbs

GreenOrbs Limp Gawd

Thanks, I knew someone would have some idea of what to look for. The RS 220 looks exactly like kind of thing I'm looking for but is a bit out of my price range ($600). It's wireless, open back, and according to the website you linked it sounds like a HD 600. I've listened to a pair of HD600's before that a friend had and was pretty happy with the sound. The $70 HD 558's didn't match the kind of sound I prefer. I just blew most of my discretionary spending on a 1080 Ti...

Was wondering if the massdrop 6XX might be a good choice pair with some sort of battery powered bluetooth receiver I could clip to my belt. I already have a external mic I can clip on when needed (usually don't use voice comms but like to have the option).

EDIT: Alternatively might look at the RS 185's around $200. Would you recommend the 6XX with a portable bluetooth receiver (plan to plug in when listening to music but prefer wireless when gaming or walking about my apt) or the RS 185s?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
    RogueTadhg likes this.
  5. theplaidfad

theplaidfad Lurker

I know you're looking for open back, but I have some of the Sennheiser HD 4.40's on the way to me. I'm pretty much strictly a gamer, and I too wanted open-back Bluetooth but ended up going with the above because of pricing.

I'll let you know what I think of them sometime on Saturday after I've had them for a day.... as long as I don't forget.

6. illram

illram [H]ard|Gawd

Cheapest I think would be rigging up a portable Bluetooth receiver to the headphones of your choice. You could mod something on the headphone or as you said just clip it on your person somewhere.

7. GreenOrbs

GreenOrbs Limp Gawd

I think I found a cheap solution that will work for me. I've decided to buy the Philips 9500S as reviews seem to state that it is a bright, open back headphone with great treble which sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. They are supposed to have pretty insane price/performance. Bass is a bit less emphasized but as I previously mentioned I'm not fond of too much bass. In any case, for $50 I can afford to just give it a spin and see how I like them. (https://www.head-fi.org/f/showcase/philips-shp9500.20549/reviews)

I've decided to pair it with a Creative E3 (portable DAC/AMP) that I can clip to my belt since that offers both wired and bluetooth connections for an additonal $70. Should give me better audio when plugged in wired vs the audio on the motherboard and can be switched to bluetooth if I want. For a total of $120 I'm willing to give this a try and upgrade later if need be.

Edit: The E3 also has a mic input that I can stick my modmic into so I have a wireless bluetooth headset for gaming that is open back. This gives me maximum flexibility going from wired usb to DAC/AMP for better sound quality to a wireless gaming headset for comfortable gaming. I can also use the portable DAC/AMP to improve my cellphone listening experience.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  8. illram

illram [H]ard|Gawd

E3 is a great choice. I have one and it's a solid little DAC/amp. For the features, can't be beat at that price.