Over 8 Billion Devices Connected To The Internet

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Take a look at this chart and you’ll quickly realize why everything has to be mobile this and mobile that these days. Now, if only mobile web browsing wasn’t such an awful experience…

By the end of 2015, there were 8.1 billion internet-connected, claims a report by IHS Technology. These devices consist of smartphones, tablets, PCs, TVs and TV-attached devices such as Apple TV and Chromecast, and audio devices. Averaged out across the globe, this works out at four devices per household. The breakdown of those devices is also quite an eye-opener. Smartphones are without a doubt the dominant device, outnumbering PCs by about 1.8 to one, and outnumber tablets by around 4.6 to one.

Surprised a smart phone can't double as a small computer. When at home hook it up to a big screen and mouse and use it as a computer. Or maybe I'm thinking too far ahead.

Surprised a smart phone can't double as a small computer. When at home hook it up to a big screen and mouse and use it as a computer. Or maybe I'm thinking too far ahead.

Pretty sure Windows Phones and Ubuntu phones do that already, or some form of it is coming anyways. I want Apple to jump on the bandwagon tbh.

Interesting, did a quick count in my own house (my wife and myself). We have 8 internet connected devices.
- 2 phones
- 3 notebooks
- Smart TV
- Tablet
- Chrome Cast

My parents have at least 14 internet connected devices that I can think of off hand.
- 2 phones
- 3 computers
- 2 tablets
- 3 ipod touches
- Chrome Cast
- Apple TV
- Raspberry PI
- Roku

8.1 billion actually seems sort of low.

Interesting, did a quick count in my own house (my wife and myself). We have 8 internet connected devices.
- 2 phones
- 3 notebooks
- Smart TV
- Tablet
- Chrome Cast

My parents have at least 14 internet connected devices that I can think of off hand.
- 2 phones
- 3 computers
- 2 tablets
- 3 ipod touches
- Chrome Cast
- Apple TV
- Raspberry PI
- Roku

8.1 billion actually seems sort of low.
That is because of the 7+ billion people on this planet 4 billion of them do not have access to the internet. So that is 8 billion devices spread among a little more than 3 billion people, which actually does sound about right. (To me)

Pretty sure Windows Phones and Ubuntu phones do that already, or some form of it is coming anyways. I want Apple to jump on the bandwagon tbh.

Yes, the Nokia 950 & 950XL support Continuum with the dongle. You get the full screen experience and can run all the apps as a desktop style app. They are not the full x86 apps yet, though. They do adjust to look more like desktop apps and not mobile apps.

Some have 1 device, some have none. [H] people have a dozen at the very least. Add businesses with a shit ton, as well as mobile, and it could hit 8B easily.

and I have half of them in my house... lol not really but it does seem like it at times

Maybe if websites didn't utterly swamp you with shitty ads that literally lock up mobile devices for extended periods they'd be easier to use to browse. This website loads just fine on my phone and has ads that aren't obtrusive, but, so many don't literally because the ads suck up all of the bandwidth and processing capability. If only websites would take a cue from HardOCP's advertising methods rather than just plastering them everywhere and calling it good.

As far as devices go, sure. With computers, phones, tablets, consoles, televisions and even cars online I'd say 8 billion could very well be a conservative number.

I just counted and between me and my daughter we have 11 that are frequently used.. Another 4 or 5 that are not.

Back