Over 1M People Downloaded Windows 10

HardOCP News

[H] News
I am one of the one million people that downloaded Windows 10 but, I have to admit, I haven't had a chance to touch it since I put it on a test box here in the bunker.

Over the weekend, we hit 1 million registrants for the Windows Insider Program. That equates to a lot of people using the Windows 10 Technical Preview and sending us feedback. How much feedback? Over 200,000 pieces of user-initiated feedback have been submitted to us via the Windows Feedback app from Windows Insiders like you. (BTW, we have a TLA—“three letter acronym”–for these: “UIFs”.)

Played around in a VM. No real surprise here, it's 8 with boot to desktop and a Start menu.

I'm happy with 7, I'll keep running 7. Going to take a lot for me to migrate off 7, and honestly, I don't think 'extended support phase' (or end of it) is even going to do it.

Played around in a VM. No real surprise here, it's 8 with boot to desktop and a Start menu.

I'm happy with 7, I'll keep running 7. Going to take a lot for me to migrate off 7, and honestly, I don't think 'extended support phase' (or end of it) is even going to do it.

THIS :D

It being better than Windows 7 should motivate you...
Both running faster and having a much nicer task manager, and the Microsoft Sky Drive...among other things.

No real surprise here, it's 8 with boot to desktop and a Start menu.

At this point I would agree. But this was a pretty early release and this preview is a pretty small portion of what Microsoft is saying is to come. It was mentioned in the Microsoft blog post that a new build should be out shortly, which would be moving at light speed for Windows builds during beta.

Windows 8.1 Pro boots to Desktop by default, there's a "Windows" button on the taskbar, that's the Start menu. If you don't see what you want, start typing it. You can follow a tree down to what you want if you like, but I just start typing and it always pops up as a choice.
Not a dealbreaker for me, but I've used other OSs and GUIs than XP/W7. Checking out W10 in VBox or ESXi or HyperV sounds like fun.

I have been using Win 10 tech preview as my main OS since release, i must say i am feeling rather optimistic about M$'s new OS, but saying that i did feel the same way about windows 8's early builds until they removed the start menu and destroyed it with all that metro crap.

Meh, it's okay, but it's too early to tell what they're gonna do with it. The UI doesn't look or feel like it's "finished" yet. I miiiight install it on my Win 7 laptop once its out for sale, but I don't think it's gonna be competitive with more powerful Linux distros already available today.

I have been using Win 10 tech preview as my main OS since release, i must say i am feeling rather optimistic about M$'s new OS, but saying that i did feel the same way about windows 8's early builds until they removed the start menu and destroyed it with all that metro crap.

While the Start Menu was in the early builds of Windows 8, Microsoft said from day one that it was going away, there really wasn't any question about it. I guess a lot of people thought that all the negative feedback about the Start Menu going way would change their minds. And all of the "metro crap" was in first public release, so there were no surprises there either.

10 is going to change a lot more from its first public test release to RTM than 8 did. I think the basic concept of the desktop UI is there but we have yet to see Continuum and the new tablet UI.

At this point I would agree. But this was a pretty early release and this preview is a pretty small portion of what Microsoft is saying is to come. It was mentioned in the Microsoft blog post that a new build should be out shortly, which would be moving at light speed for Windows builds during beta.

What else is coming? Windows 8 with a default start menu is nice, but it really isn't that impressive considering Classic Shell does it (and it looks nicer to!).

I would considering getting Win 10 once DX12 becomes common place, but if it keeps the ribbon, ugly UI and some other things while making it more cloud based I won't be in any hurry to upgrade to it.

I'm so much better than you because I run Windows 7. Did you know that there's actually two newer versions of Windows? But I still use 7 because I'm better than you and everybody else.

What else is coming? Windows 8 with a default start menu is nice, but it really isn't that impressive considering Classic Shell does it (and it looks nicer to!).

New desktop aesthetics, different update system, revamped taskbar and new search system. Those have been in the rumors from the more reputable places that have announced most of the changes that we've seen to date. And there's the Continuum stuff and new tablet UI.

Running 10 on my main rig since it was release. It's been completely stable and feels much more like a desktop OS compared to the windows 8 garbage.

I'm so much better than you because I run Windows 7. Did you know that there's actually two newer versions of Windows? But I still use 7 because I'm better than you and everybody else.

Oh yeah? Well I'm more betterer than you AND everyone else because I don't even use an operating system on my computer. I just turn it on and look at that message it displays on the screen that reads:

Loading operating system...
BOOT DISK FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

:p

Yepp.. It's Windows 8.1 with a new skin. I was using Windows 7 and refused to move to Windows 8.1 being in IT you have to get experience with new Operationing Systems.
So i finally did and I Love Windows 8.1 with all the *bloat servies disabled, metro, store.. I turn off alot of shit*. It's faster than Windows 7 by far. installing software takes half the time in Windows 8.1.
I will move to windows 10 but of course i will mod it to my liking.

Yepp.. It's Windows 8.1 with a new skin. I was using Windows 7 and refused to move to Windows 8.1 being in IT you have to get experience with new Operationing Systems.
So i finally did and I Love Windows 8.1 with all the *bloat servies disabled, metro, store.. I turn off alot of shit*. It's faster than Windows 7 by far. installing software takes half the time in Windows 8.1.
I will move to windows 10 but of course i will mod it to my liking.

Just like Vista 64 and Windows 7.. Vista 64 is Windows 7 as to Windows 8 is to Windows 10.. same fucking OS.

I don't even know what to say to that. Hmmm.

I'm still running Vista because I'm poor and it works even though it's very annoying.. Or maybe I'm the COOLEST! :cool:

Just like Vista 64 and Windows 7.. Vista 64 is Windows 7 as to Windows 8 is to Windows 10.. same fucking OS.

One thing to keep in mind. At this point the 9841 build is Windows 8.1 Update with about only 6 or 7 months of work in it. It's a much earlier stage of development than has been the case for public betas of Windows. Windows 8 had been in development for close to 18 months before the first public betas.

So if Microsoft's depiction of their process is correct, we're seeing things at a much earlier stage and the cadence of change is going to be much greater throughout the public testing cycle. Which makes sense considering Microsoft was derided heavily for not listening during the Windows 8 testing cycle.

I like they are actually making improvements to desktop usage instead of going backwards like windows 8.

Still hate that you can't just disable startup items from msconfig like you can in windows 7. Having to right click each item to disable them in task manager is not a improvement.

I like they are actually making improvements to desktop usage instead of going backwards like windows 8.

Still hate that you can't just disable startup items from msconfig like you can in windows 7. Having to right click each item to disable them in task manager is not a improvement.
Lol such an absurd statement. Having startup items in task manager something most vaguely tech savvy people know about is a downgrade to having it located with msconfig something completely obscure you likely looked it up unless computers are you think.

This statement is the epitome of windows 8 hate. IT'S DIFFERENT OH NOEZ I HATE DIFFERENT TOO HARD!! Zeesh apparently everybody is an old person unable to change or learn new things.

It seems ok to me. It works like a computer not a big phone with with a mouse. When I work on windows 8 computers I add a start button which makes it easy for me to get around in it. I played around with a windows 8 machine for a few weeks removing the pop out panels and adding a start button. It does feel a little quicker than 7. I believe they will keep the desktop like it is so businesses will buy it.

I believe they will keep the desktop like it is so businesses will buy it.

Restoring a familiar Windows desktop UI is the primary purpose of Windows 10. This release demonstrates that and was above all else the goal of this build. It was so important to gain trust and confidence with the desktop UI that this build was released with the touch and tablet UI broken, to be dealt with at a latter date.

I think that the goal has been met. But the tablet UI can't be ignored either. Windows 10 will not review well if there's any loss of 8's tablet capabilities. Windows 10 might be fine as a desktop OS and even do well in adoption rates, particularly if upgrades from 7 are free. But it will take a bit of a beating in the IT press and by a few users if the tablet experience isn't at least a minor improvement over 8.x.

A lot of businesses will still not buy it. They won't even buy 8.1. Win7Pro is still the gold standard for about 95% of the healthcare industry.

I hope they have some cheap early sale deals like 8. I'd definitely get a few copies of it and put them on my older rigs and my ht server.

Using it myself now. In their program as well, like the new interface versus the one in 8 so far. Even uninstalled Start8 and am using the menu system in the tech preview.

Lol such an absurd statement. Having startup items in task manager something most vaguely tech savvy people know about is a downgrade to having it located with msconfig something completely obscure you likely looked it up unless computers are you think.

This statement is the epitome of windows 8 hate. IT'S DIFFERENT OH NOEZ I HATE DIFFERENT TOO HARD!! Zeesh apparently everybody is an old person unable to change or learn new things.

Just put them in the both places it has nothing to do with fucking "change" aspect of it, it has do with how poor its implemented into task manager. When i check msconfig there is still a tab but it say "hur dur go to task manager". I clean out junked up computers all day and instead of just uncheck marking all option i have to right click each program to disable them now it's absurdly retarded. Think before you sperge out like a idiot.

Msconfig used to list the full address to where the file is located and it's easy to spot malicious stuff just from the location and the name of the exe file that you can't see easily through task manger.

Msconfig used to list the full address to where the file is located and it's easy to spot malicious stuff just from the location and the name of the exe file that you can't see easily through task manger.

This can be done in Task Manager. Right click on the header in the Startup tab in Task Manager and select the Command line column option.

:D

thats why win 10 preview sucks :D

Let it go Balmer, they don't want you anymore.

I wonder what percentage of 1 million people downloaded it but installed it like I did. They should've made it a live boot DVD/USB flash that you can preview without installing it like the many flavors of Linux.

It being better than Windows 7 should motivate you...

Your opinion.

Both running faster

Boots slightly faster; otherwise I see no difference in desktop speed between 7, 8, 8.1 and 10. The desktop is the desktop is the desktop.

and having a much nicer task manager

With a better one available if you use Process Explorer in 7, 8, or 8.1 (and have it replace the regular Task Manager, making it even easier).

and the Microsoft Sky Drive...among other things.

The lack of forced OneDrive integration in 7 (with the option being there, if you choose to install it) is more preferable to me. I don't use OneDrive; I prefer Dropbox (though I do also have some stuff on Google Drive). OneDrive being tacked on to the OS during a stock install is just another piece of bloat that I don't need or want.

I wonder what percentage of 1 million people downloaded it but installed it like I did. They should've made it a live boot DVD/USB flash that you can preview without installing it like the many flavors of Linux.

That's what a VM is for. :D

After the revelatiion that 10 contains a keylogger I'm surprised anyone booted it at all despite downloading it.

The lack of forced OneDrive integration in 7 (with the option being there, if you choose to install it) is more preferable to me. I don't use OneDrive; I prefer Dropbox (though I do also have some stuff on Google Drive). OneDrive being tacked on to the OS during a stock install is just another piece of bloat that I don't need or want.

Cloud storage sucks anyway. I never understood whats the point of storing files to a location you can't control, is hackable and is only accessible through a relatively slow internet connection.

A cloud is only useful for sharing some holiday photos etc. non essential stuff. Something that doesn't hurt you if it's hacked or lost.

After the revelatiion that 10 contains a keylogger I'm surprised anyone booted it at all despite downloading it.

http://lifehacker.com/windows-10s-keylogger-fiasco-has-been-blown-out-of-pr-1642931793

You agree to the terms of the EULA when you install it. If you don't want your keystrokes being captured, don't install it.

Pretty cut and dry what they're using them for....not exactly a 'keylogger' per se.

Cloud storage sucks anyway. I never understood whats the point of storing files to a location you can't control, is hackable and is only accessible through a relatively slow internet connection.

Having browsed the TOS for Dropbox, GDrive, OneDrive, and CrashPlan, I respectfully disagree.

Since you're anti-cloud I assume you have a full 3 tier backup plan that includes offsite backups on several different types of media, probably at different locations - unless you have no data worth backing up (which I would find hard to believe).

....But the tablet UI can't be ignored either. Windows 10 will not review well if there's any loss of 8's tablet capabilities. Windows 10 might be fine as a desktop OS and even do well in adoption rates, particularly if upgrades from 7 are free. But it will take a bit of a beating in the IT press and by a few users if the tablet experience isn't at least a minor improvement over 8.x.

I don't often agree with some things you say. But this is absolutely the case. Ever since i first tried Windows 8 RP and CP (and absolutely loathed it due to nothing being made for the exact thing i twas.. a Desktop OS) i really... really wished i had a device with a touch screen that i could try it on as i felt it would be ok in that roll. Now having finally go the chance now that the Surface Pro 3's were a decent enough bit of kit for my liking, it really does go quite well. even the charms menu on the right is a good implementation. Probably the only thing that is lacking is depth and a decent amount of tweaking and tuning of the little things (like it being a bit painful if you wish to have you taskbar on Auto-HIDE).

I genuinely hope they don't go backwards with the touch implementations. As of now i think its absolutely a must for all input methods to be supported seamlessly. and as much as i don't like 8 and quite a number of things it did or didnt in the early stages... it has done things right as well. Its pretty awesome to use a full Windows OS on a tablet touch device (even if its 6 years later then what i really wanted).

Just put them in the both places it has nothing to do with fucking "change" aspect of it, it has do with how poor its implemented into task manager. When i check msconfig there is still a tab but it say "hur dur go to task manager". I clean out junked up computers all day and instead of just uncheck marking all option i have to right click each program to disable them now it's absurdly retarded. Think before you sperge out like a idiot.

Making shit up already? Or you just stupid?
dwZjgXR.jpg

Back