OUYA Now 33% Off Plus $25 Game Credit

Good deal, seems though that you have to root the device so that the Play store is available on it (and to play previously purchased Play apps.)

Pretty sad to see these guys struggle but they should've opened their eyes and realized they were being used by Nvidia to dump all those old tegra 3 chips no one ever bought. They shot themselves in the foot by saying the device would be updated to use newer hardware. Amateurs. Why would I, as a consumer, buy the first gen product with weaker/older hardware instead of waiting for the already confirmed next gen version?

Because you can use it to stream games from your SLI rig anywhere in your home?

I have been saying this long before Shield was released. SLI DOES NOT WORK and will never work when streaming. Pretty sad how bad the "press" is at covering simple technical questions and people just parrot the same marketing lines from Nvidia. I was there at the event where the device was launched and the Nvidia rep I talked to tried his hardest to dodge the question. "You should be fine streaming with one card, it's only 720P", he said. I just laughed and left.

I also don't get why people talk about this device as if it was the first one to bring remote game streaming. Splashtop has been doing that for longer and it works on more platforms than Shield. It can stream to PC, MAC, Android, iOS even Linux (Ubuntu version in beta right now). More importantly it's hardware agnostic and does not lock you into Nvidia as it works with AMD and Intel hardware as well.

Apologies for the OT.

Pretty sad to see these guys struggle but they should've opened their eyes and realized they were being used by Nvidia to dump all those old tegra 3 chips no one ever bought. They shot themselves in the foot by saying the device would be updated to use newer hardware. Amateurs. Why would I, as a consumer, buy the first gen product with weaker/older hardware instead of waiting for the already confirmed next gen version?

I have been saying this long before Shield was released. SLI DOES NOT WORK and will never work when streaming. Pretty sad how bad the "press" is at covering simple technical questions and people just parrot the same marketing lines from Nvidia. I was there at the event where the device was launched and the Nvidia rep I talked to tried his hardest to dodge the question. "You should be fine streaming with one card, it's only 720P", he said. I just laughed and left.

I also don't get why people talk about this device as if it was the first one to bring remote game streaming. Splashtop has been doing that for longer and it works on more platforms than Shield. It can stream to PC, MAC, Android, iOS even Linux (Ubuntu version in beta right now). More importantly it's hardware agnostic and does not lock you into Nvidia as it works with AMD and Intel hardware as well.

Apologies for the OT.

To be fair, why would you want SLI to render in 720@60hz?

And splashtop is nowhere near the performance/quality of shield streaming. I've tried both and the difference is night and day. I can't even play angry birds without severe hiccups in splashtop.

I have been saying this long before Shield was released. SLI DOES NOT WORK and will never work when streaming. [...]

Fair enough, but my only point was that the Shield isn't just used as a platform for mobile (phone/tablet) games, but can be used to stream from a desktop as well.

If they knock another 67% off you'll finally get your money's worth.

Never understood the hate. It plays any emulated games up-to and including N64 and PS1, works as a great XBMC box, and has some decent selection of native indie games. The Ouya controller is nothing to write home about, but it works with the DS3 and 360 controllers. For the price, its pretty damn good. If people would stop trying to compare it to the big AAA console market and take it for what it is, maybe it would have been more successful.

Back