Outlook 2016 can't send attachments

rive22

Supreme [H]ardness
It produces this error:

"To protect against computer viruses, e-mail programs may prevent sending or receiving certain types of file attachments. Check your e-mail security settings to determine how attachments are handled."

I looked all around in the settings and couldn't find anything useful, also turned off AV. It's Windows 10.

I found a 22 page thread on another board of people having this issue with no solution. Does anyone know a solution? I need an actual fix and not a workaround, this is for a friend and his business. Never had a prob until upgrading.

It's for outlook 2016? I had a similar issue with outlook 2007, but it was a windows update that I had to remove so the user could send attachments.

Yeah 2016. Typical of windows updates breaking things.

not sure about any. we tried various office documents and rar

not sure about any. we tried various office documents and rar
I know this sounds dumb, but since upgrading, has he tried a repair on Outlook?

If so and that didn't work, when he opens an email have you tried:
Click under Format Text and change it from HTML to Rich Text or visa versa if it's set to Plain/Rich Text?

I'll log into his computer tonight and see, it appears it's offline right now, haven't tried either of those things.

I know this sounds dumb, but since upgrading, has he tried a repair on Outlook?

If so and that didn't work, when he opens an email have you tried:
Click under Format Text and change it from HTML to Rich Text or visa versa if it's set to Plain/Rich Text?

Tried all those and still no go. I found a way around the error, by dragging the attachment into the email window the email will show as being sent, but it never actually makes it's destination. That's a total unreliable crap pot, what the hell microsoft.

If it was a windows update, no idea which one.

Last edited:
This sounds like a standard content security feature in most versions of Outlook.
Have a read of this article and follow the instructions regarding the registry entries :

https://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/blockedattachments.htm

The list of default blocked file extensions is also listed in this article.
You could confirm that this is your problem with one example file extension and then enter any others into the registry key that are blocked by default that you need to send etc.
Also make sure you reboot your computer after making the registry entry.

This sounds like a standard content security feature in most versions of Outlook.
Have a read of this article and follow the instructions regarding the registry entries :

https://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/blockedattachments.htm

The list of default blocked file extensions is also listed in this article.
You could confirm that this is your problem with one example file extension and then enter any others into the registry key that are blocked by default that you need to send etc.
Also make sure you reboot your computer after making the registry entry.

You're a champion, it works, thanks a million :D

Back