Outlook 2007 - Toolbar issues

SBMongoos

[H]ard|Gawd
Looks like after I installed a trial of Onenote 2010 it made changes to my toolbar. I know how to customize it but even when I do, then exit Outlook 2007 and come back in it's back to where it was before I made the changes. I tried the reset tool bar (Standard toolbar) but no luck.

Any ideas? There are a few things I want to get rid and get the Send/Receive back to being viewable on the toolbar again.

Try uninstalling the Onenote trial. Are all the toolbars resetting, or just the Onenote one? If it's all of them, it may have corrupted some files for Outlook related to your toolbars.

Try uninstalling the Onenote trial. Are all the toolbars resetting, or just the Onenote one? If it's all of them, it may have corrupted some files for Outlook related to your toolbars.

I go in and customize the standard tool bar to try to correct it. While I'm there I even delete about four things to make sure the Send/Receive will fit. Even when done the all the changes don't reflect right away although some do. I exit out and come back and everything I did is undone.

Is there a way to export this same tool (thought there was a file of some sort) bar off my laptop and then into my desktop? Both are running MS Office 2007. Onenote is not installed on the laptop.

I think I fixed it. After trying to customize and make changes it was clear that was never going to work. I notice more tool bars were showing up in the drop down menu and I had no idea where they were coming from. I knew there had to be a file some where these were getting written to and thought if I can get rid of it and Outlook '07 were to recreate it that, I would think, that this should help fix the problem.

I used this site to find the two files to get rid of: http://www.msoutlook.info/question/19

I renamed the extension of these two with ".old". Of course Outlook needs to be closed. I reopened Outlook and oddly enough the same tool bar was there again. I check the file sizes of the new extend.dat and outcmd.dat and they were much smaller. At this point I thought I would try to customize the standard tool bar again. I saw the changes taking place as I was using the customize option...which I was not seeing before. Once done I then closed Outlook and reopened it and the changes I made were intact! I will say that I think only outcmd.dat needed to be renamed. The file size between the .old and the new one created was quite a change from 2570KB to 39KB.

This makes sense that it would work but I'm surprised that after deleting the two .dat files that I didn't have a default standard tool bar instead of the one that I had been trying to fix the last week. Anyway, the process above worked.

Last edited:
Back