Outlook 2007 on Vista: cannot connect to a linux mail server?

kr0sys

n00b
Ive got outlook 2007 running on vista. I'm able to connect to this postfix mail server running imap with others like thunderbird, etc running on vista. I can also connect with outlook 2007 running on a windows 2003 box, but for some reason cant connect using outlook 07 running on vista.. Anyone have any experience with this problem?

know of a patch/fix/workaround? :(

Ive read around and have found out that if I were using an exchange mail server, there wouldn't be any problem. This is ridiculous since we do not want to have an entire microsoft back end. This is microsoft connecting to a linux server for you....

thanx for your input

This is ridiculous since we do not want to have an entire microsoft back end. This is microsoft connecting to a linux server for you....

The majority of mail servers are non-Microsoft, so it's not a simple matter of Outlook doesn't work with Linux.

You need to supply quite a bit more details for anyone to help.

It simply says 'cannot connect and cannot find server' or something to that effect. We've checked all the settings. Deleted the account and started from scratch. The settings are the same across the board for all our email clients.

kr0sys said:
is ridiculous since we do not want to have an entire microsoft back end. This is microsoft connecting to a linux server for you....

You know how many people use outlook to connect ot their ISP mail accounts? Pretty much all UNIX there.

Unless you are running something esoteric that is not SMTP/IMAP/POP3 based, your issue is either the configuration of your server or you are missing soemthing in your client configuration. It might not even be Outlook itself where your configuration is an issue.

My Outlook 2007 client on Vista is connecting to my Exchange server, and 6 other mail accounts across 3 other types of servers.

Since you are only having the problem on Vista, you did check your Vista firewall config to confirm you are allowing Outlook to connect outbound, right?

We made sure that the firewall in vista was disabled.

I do find this particular scenario ridiculous. My best guess is that it has something to do with the way outlook uses vista to authenticate. We are using postfix with imap running ssl, and smtp authentication. Its a very tightly strapped down operation. We had to disable smtp over tls just to be able to send an email out of the domain. Something to do with the way microsoft validates a certificate. Outlook 07 manages to work on 2k3 just fine...

thanks for your input

Back