Outlook 2007 Inbox Repair Tool Virus?

MWJONES888

n00b
I've got a problem with Outlook 2007, my hotmail account can no longer be accessed, and I get an error message directing me to quit Outlook and run the Inbox repair tool (scanpst.exe).

I search for that file on my computer, and find this file: scanpst.exe 0002, which I now think may be malware. Clicking on it does nothing, except prompt to search web for the program to open the file.

Can't find the original scanpst.exe file on my install disk.

AV/spyware programs do not seem to identify scanpst.exe 0002 as malware.

1 - Anybody know the fix for this problem?

2 - I am not backed up for sent messages, though at least my incoming hotmail messages are archived on the web. If I did an uninstall/reinstall of Outlook 2007, will that even fix the problem (recognizing that I would lose my existing folders, etc.)?

Scan PST moved in outlook 2007, its in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14 i believe. (my bad if its not, i'm on 2010 now.

did a quick search on my box since I'm running 2007.

I have 2 files called "SCANPST.EXE_0002" which are located in a patch cache folder within the Windows folder.
If that's where your's exists, it's (most likely) normal, as the file was just replaced during an update, and that location is where the "backup" file is located.

I also found a SCANPST.EXE file located in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12

I've got a problem with Outlook 2007, my hotmail account can no longer be accessed, and I get an error message directing me to quit Outlook and run the Inbox repair tool (scanpst.exe).

I search for that file on my computer, and find this file: scanpst.exe 0002, which I now think may be malware. Clicking on it does nothing, except prompt to search web for the program to open the file.

Can't find the original scanpst.exe file on my install disk.

AV/spyware programs do not seem to identify scanpst.exe 0002 as malware.

1 - Anybody know the fix for this problem?

2 - I am not backed up for sent messages, though at least my incoming hotmail messages are archived on the web. If I did an uninstall/reinstall of Outlook 2007, will that even fix the problem (recognizing that I would lose my existing folders, etc.)?

Here's the location of Scanpst.exe in MS Outlook 2007 .

32-bit Windows; C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12

64-bit Windows; C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12

Besides, you can also make use of simple Windows search to find it. But remember to enable or check show hidden files and folders option in the Folder Options Window. In spite of all this, if you still didn't get hands on Scanpst.exe, then you shall have to download from the MS site.

More information on: http://www.splitpstfiles.com

scanpst is a real utility, I'm not sure why you think it is a virus. The name is most likely the renaming that happened during patching.

If your PST file for your outlook is corrupt, you'll want to attempt to fix it. You could also make a new outlook profile and resetup your hotmail settings. That will allow you to check mail and move on while you work on repairing the PST file.

Back