Outcry as YouTube Star Posts Video of Dead Body in Japan

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Popular YouTuber Logan Paul is under fire for traveling to Aokigahara forest and making light of a dead body that he and his friends encountered there. The location, also known as the “Sea of Trees,” is a spot at the bottom of Mount Fuji where many go to commit suicide.

Their video showed the body of a man, whose identity is unknown, from several angles but blurs his face. A member of the group is heard remarking that he “doesn’t feel good”. Paul replies: “What, you never stand next to a dead guy?” and then laughs. The exchange, and the decision to upload images of the victim, prompted a wave of criticism online.

If done in a compassionate light, would of been better. However done as a vacation spot joke is bad karma. That place is haunted as heck.

In most cases content that is posted on Youtube and popular youtubers aren't of the greatest quality. A lot of these guys are getting slapped back from the garbage they have posted over the years. Its pretty tasteless in this case to post that stuff and joke about the person taking their own life.....

I've hated the culture of celebrity worship long before the advent of Youtube, and Youtube celebrity worship is that culture distilled down to its purest vapid idiocy. How do these twits have all this fame and fortune? Who are their fans? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

Should have left the video up. Maybe it'll encourage the next would-be suicide to think hard about the ridiculousness of going to die in the woods. Then again they splatter themselves all over trains so maybe at that point they just don't give a fuck.

Sounds like mission accomplished to me - he's in the news again.
Pretty piss poor decision on his part. (n)
I disagree. He's making headlines, which is pretty much the only thing he can do to sustain his brand. As society keeps getting desensitized youtube personalities (without any creativity at least) will have to get more and more shocking to keep their names at the top of the heap. Just wait for his brother to post a video of the guy's suicide in a week or two to keep the hype train rolling.

gives a whole new meaning to being a dead stick ...

Someone named Logan Paul. Judging by his YouTube videos and after 30 seconds of research of his videos, he appears to be in his late 20s and does stupid shit to be "weird and zaney." Also appears all his fans are tweens. Very strange. I actually don't think i've seen a bigger douche-bag looking dude in my life.

Last edited:
Someone named Logan Paul. Judging by his YouTube videos after 30 seconds of research of his videos, his appears to be in his late 20s ad does stupid shit to be "weird and zaney." Also appears all his fans are tweens. Very strange. I actually don't think i've seen a bigger douche-bag looking dude in my life.
So... he's trying to be the next Felix Kjellberg?

Why is there a high suicide rate in Japan?

asian culture across the board has a high suicide rate due to the idea that if you fail at something you bring shame to your family and their name so suicide is the only way to keep that from happening.. it's a shit way of thinking that needs to stop in those countries but won't happen until the older generations that promote that way of thinking are gone. delt with it for a few years with an ex-gf where her grandparents basically shamed the hell out of her to the point where they threatened to disown her for disrespecting the family because she wanted to become a teacher instead of working at their family restaurant.

Last edited:
Reactions: Madoc
like this
I want to punch my computer screen.

The worst part is, this guy (and his brother) are huge in their demographic. People like these douches make up the majority of "YouTube Personalities" and it's spreading. Take a look at Twitch; once a platform predominantly comprised of gamers, now steadily being eaten up "IRL" streamers, the majority of which are similar to these two.

Do/say stupid offensive shit, get popular and make bank. It's a pretty consistent formula for "Content creators".

Paparazzi type mentality. Leeches that just care about headlines and views. All I can say is, what goes around, comes around for them one day.

In Japan this is probably one of the highest levels of disrespect possible. His apology never mentions once exactly what he did wrong or the people he hurt.

It's pretty sad when this scandal is a step up from what we've come accustomed to with the entertainment industry as of late.

A dark joke is like food, not everyone gets it.
The worst part is, this guy (and his brother) are huge in their demographic. People like these douches make up the majority of "YouTube Personalities" and it's spreading. Take a look at Twitch; once a platform predominantly comprised of gamers, now steadily being eaten up "IRL" streamers, the majority of which are similar to these two.

Do/say stupid offensive shit, get popular and make bank. It's a pretty consistent formula for "Content creators".

It's like Chris Rock Tucker from Fifth Element, but actually happening.

MU5po.jpg

Last edited:

Or do/say stupid offensive shit when your numbers start dwindling, a la PewDiePie.

asian culture across the board has a high suicide rate due to the idea that if you fail at something you bring shame to your family

This and the fact Japanese culture is very homogeneous. Being perceived as an "outsider" (or even an individual) is a disgraceful thing. Very different than here in the U.S.

You do see the shame aspect for example at work, where instead of firing someone they give them menial/tedious work so that they quit instead. However, for the younger crowd, it's more about not fitting societal norms.

Sorry, but I have nothing but contempt for people who willingly murder themselves. I think this YouTube guy is a scumbag, but I have no sympathy for the corpse, nor do I have any respect for the "suicide is honorable" crowd. It's not.

Really, there's no upside to this article as far as I'm concerned.

Apology video went up...seemed sorta sincere but who knows.

Maybe make a donation to some sort of charity? But no, words are cheap.

Oh, it's not a problem that you upload images of a dead person, the problem is that you don't virtue signal enough while doing so! After all this is the current year! And the current year is 2018 now!

Back