Out of the loop intel wise

I'm thinking about switching to intel socket 1150 but havent used intel since the core 2 duo days.

I need to know all the little nuances so I don't mess things up during installation.

Is installation straightforward? Drop in the cpu and add the peripherals? Or is there something intel exclusive?

Is there something about the ram I need to know? I would like to use the current ram I have which is patriot 1600mhz that needs 1.65 to run. Anything there I should know?

Anything about SSDs?

I would really like to not have to switch my psu. It already has 8pin for cpu.

I am planning on:

http://www.frys.com/product/7680417?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

http://www.frys.com/product/7698187?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

The installation is pretty much straightforward. Drop in the cpu carefully in the socket, and well you should pretty much know how to install the rest ;).

Your current ram, ssd, and power supply should have no issues.

You should know this from your Core2Duo days, but make sure there aren't any bent pins and don't bend any of them. Everything else is straightforward.

I would try to undervolt the RAM if possible, as Intel recommends running 1.5v or lower. However, it shouldn't be a big issue running 1.65v.

You should know this from your Core2Duo days, but make sure there aren't any bent pins and don't bend any of them. Everything else is straightforward.

I would try to undervolt the RAM if possible, as Intel recommends running 1.5v or lower. However, it shouldn't be a big issue running 1.65v.

There is no reason he needs to mess with possible stability issues by undervolting the ram..1.65V ram will work just fine without an issue..If you are THAT paranoid, then give the IMC a lil bump in voltage to keep it within .5V of the Dram Voltage..

If running 1.65V ram was a problem on Ivy/Haswell platforms, we would be seeing a lot of people reporting fried IMC's ala the first gen I7s were Vtt had to be within ~.5V of the Dram voltage.

Lookin' good Gilbert.

When people say, "Drop the CPU in..." they mean it.

Ensure you line up the notches correctly to orientate the cpu the right way.

Whatever you do, do not apply downward pressure on the cpu while it is in the socket. If you have to pick the CPU back up, grab it by the sides!

I have a i5 4670 processor (non-K version). I have a antec earthwatts 380W power supply and the i5 works with it w/o any problems. The installation of the processor was straight forward. I also did not have any problems installing my ssd with with the system.

Is haswell slower than ivy bridge? I was under the impression that these procs with integrated graphics are slower.

Whatever you do, do not apply downward pressure on the cpu while it is in the socket. If you have to pick the CPU back up, grab it by the sides!

I have an h100i corsair cooler. Would that pressure be enough to break it>?

Is haswell slower than ivy bridge? I was under the impression that these procs with integrated graphics are slower.

No, it's not.

First off, ivy bridge has integrated graphics, so does sandy bridge. Any intel chip anyone here would have any interest in buying for the last several years on the mainstream socket (so excluding lga 2011 and it's predecessors) has some form of integrated graphics.

Yes, this takes up die area, and yes I wish they would rather use the die area for more cpu related thigs, but every generation of intel processors has small but real improvement in both ipc and overall performance compared to the year before.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7003/the-haswell-review-intel-core-i74770k-i54560k-tested/6

If you find a good deal somewhere there might be a decent performance/price argument for something older, but raw CPU performance does not improve going backwards despite the increasing emphasis on IGP.

Basically all Intel CPU have integrated graphic cores. The only exception would be a couple of "p" model CPUs like the i5-3550p. Well it actually does have a disabled graphics core to reduce power consumption and lower the TDP. It is likely a Core i5 CPU that simply rolled off the production with the graphics core not functioning properly so it has been physically disabled and sold as a "p" model so that it does not get tossed into the trash bin,

The only desktop current "consumer" oriented Intel CPUs which actually does not have a graphics core is the Sandy Bridge-E and Ivy Bridge-E socket 2011 CPUs.

Overall, Haswell is 6% - 9% more powerful than Ivy Bridge CPUs depending on which set of review benchmarks you are looking at. However, Haswell CPUs in general do not overclock as well as Ivy Bridge CPUs. While both Haswell and Ivy Bridge CPUs can both hit 4.7GHz or higher, the percentage of Haswell CPUs capable of doing so is lower than Ivy Bridge CPUs.

Meh, 1155 boards seemed to be phased out anyways so I don't have much of a choice.

BTW It's probably obvious but I just want to make sure that 1155 coolers work on the 1150 as well right?

My last intel build was a core 2 duo e4300, last night i built a s1155 mITX machine, it's all pretty straightforward.

Same. I had an e4400. Probably kept gaming with it longer than I should have.

Yeah now would be an excellent time to upgrade to go with an Intel setup. DDR3 RAM pricing is going to keep on getting higher, no real mainstream Intel CPU worth waiting for from what I can tell for the next year, and Intel's Skylake CPUs that are coming out 2015 will more than likely use rather expensive DDR4 RAM. It probably won't be until 2016 when we'll see a mainstream Intel CPU that'll be a cost-effective and worthwhile upgrade over a Haswell or even an Ivy Bridge setup. Or that DDR4 pricing might drop down to more reasonable levels.

That's all assuming of course that Intel's single digit performance increases with each new CPU generation still continues,

the big issue is i want more ram and it seems the gen 1 i7 1156 chips maxed out at 8GB
the other option i was looking at was upgrading my GPU and then moving a 6 core CPU some time next year
was even looking at the 4 core 2011 CPU so i could go to 64GB of ram

the big issue is i want more ram and it seems the gen 1 i7 1156 chips maxed out at 8GB
not true.. A first gen core i7 using a 1156 motherboard could support up to 16GB of RAM officially.. a first gen core i7 with 1366 motherboard supported up to 24GB and some up to 32GB

not true.. A first gen core i7 using a 1156 motherboard could support up to 16GB of RAM officially.. a first gen core i7 with 1366 motherboard supported up to 24GB and some up to 32GB

board i have lists 8GB max and wont boot with 4GB sticks

There's something wrong with your setup then because I have three customers on i5's or i7's on that board with 16gb of ram.

its right on the Gigabyte website... and i have tried booting it with 4GB sticks its an no go

that's a problem with your motherboard then not with 1156

try updatng your BIOS

its right on the Gigabyte website... and i have tried booting it with 4GB sticks its an no go
Assuming that you're talking about the GIgabyte motherboard in your sig, the Gigabyte website clearly states:
4 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets supporting up to 16 GB of system memory

So as others have noted, something is wrong with your motherboard. Or maybe your choice of 4GB RAM sticks.

Back