Out of the loop for a while, could someone help clear up some confusion?

That is what happens when you are forced to release a product early because of competition. :)

Yes, despite of Ryzen being released early it never sold out with price cuts in effect already and more to come after CFL release. And now TR is reduced to 2 SKUs. :D

Yes, despite of Ryzen being released early it never sold out with price cuts in effect already and more to come after CFL release. And now TR is reduced to 2 SKUs. :D

Nope, Ryzen was not released early, it was actually released with plenty of stock available but, you already knew that. Oh, and that does indicate competition and why Intel was forced to release X299 in an unfinished and hurried state. That said, as long as the OP enjoys whenever he purchases, that is all that matters to me. :)

Hi :)

There seem to be a LOT more options going on than when I last upgraded (2008).

I am eyeballing the 7800x and an ASUS Strix x299 board.

I edit and render a lot of video and play a lot of VR games.

My current PC has an ASUS P6t with OC's Xeon 5670 @4.2GHz.

Questions:

1 - Is the X platform (X99, X299) geared more towards editing/rendering PC's etc, and the z (z170, z270) platform aimed more at gaming?

2 - What type of real world (roughly) rendering time gains could I expect to see with the new CPU?

3 - USB ports, what does it mean by 4 mid board? I'd ideally like 8 ports on the back (and on 2 different controllers so 1 for VR sensors and 1 for VR headset). Can I do this with these new boards?

4 - I'd like to OC this thing up to 4.2Ghz-4.5Ghz but have read about VRM warnings or something on the x299 platform, is this something I should worry about?

5 - Anything from coffee lake that sounds like I should really wait? If we're talking 5-10% gain for around the same price vs X299 having kinks ironed out by then and being stable I'd prolly rather just pull the pin now..

Thanks!!

_Luca

1.) The X299 platform is a prosumer / high end gaming platform. The Z270 platform is a more mainstream platform.
2.) I don't know, what do you have now?
3.) 4 at mid board means that these are provided via a header on the motherboard. You need connectors on the case to utilize them.
4.) Overclocking is fine.
5.) Unsure about Coffee Lake.

If you want Intel only, you are better off sticking with the older X99 platform. It is far more stable and better than Intel's newest X299 conflagration. Otherwise, wait until Threadripper is released or if cost is a factor, go with the 1800x instead.

X99 is a mature and proven platform. That said, X299 will out perform it. I wouldn't touch an X299 build for anything other than gaming where the known IPC and clock speed advantages it has over other current and inbound technologies is known. If you are building for rendering, or video editing type work, I think it's best to wait for Threadripper.

1.) The X299 platform is a prosumer / high end gaming platform. The Z270 platform is a more mainstream platform.
2.) I don't know, what do you have now?
3.) 4 at mid board means that these are provided via a header on the motherboard. You need connectors on the case to utilize them.
4.) Overclocking is fine.
5.) Unsure about Coffee Lake.

X99 is a mature and proven platform. That said, X299 will out perform it. I wouldn't touch an X299 build for anything other than gaming where the known IPC and clock speed advantages it has over other current and inbound technologies is known. If you are building for rendering, or video editing type work, I think it's best to wait for Threadripper.

Wicked! Thanks. I've found a 7820X in stock and am picking up tomorrow as it is for a VR gaming rig and editing and I'm quite content with Intel at the minute.

To answer number 2), my current CPU is a Xeon X5670 @4.2Ghz. Thoughts on that?

My final question I guess is RAM. I've googled a fair bit and alot of Quad Channel synthetic tests look great, but the real world usage it's almost identical to dual channel, so am thinking 2x8GB sticks to start. I don't suppose you have a RAM kit in mind that would a) keep up with the system, and b) not absolutely demolish my bank?..

Cheers!

Wicked! Thanks. I've found a 7820X in stock and am picking up tomorrow as it is for a VR gaming rig and editing and I'm quite content with Intel at the minute.

To answer number 2), my current CPU is a Xeon X5670 @4.2Ghz. Thoughts on that?

My final question I guess is RAM. I've googled a fair bit and alot of Quad Channel synthetic tests look great, but the real world usage it's almost identical to dual channel, so am thinking 2x8GB sticks to start. I don't suppose you have a RAM kit in mind that would a) keep up with the system, and b) not absolutely demolish my bank?..

Cheers!
If budget is kind of tight, I'd suggest get a quad-channel 4 x 8GB kit at 2400Mhz or 2666Mhz. If you get a 2 x 8 kit now and want to add another 2 x 8 in the future, it might be difficult to find the same kit again, even if you did, the mfg. might have changed the rev. with different ICs which may not be compatible with your current 2 x 8 kit. Now if you don't plan to do quad-channel at all then get the 2 x 8 but then, why not just wait for Coffee Lake?

Yeah AMD did price cut on 1800X as it was a bit overpriced and imo still is but 1700X and 1700 hasn't seen any cuts which are official. Sure some stores have cut the prices but that doesn't make it official.

And did you have some insider info about TR being more than 2 SKU's because everyone who actually knows something about Zen knew that its not possible to make 10 or 14 core revisions with the current design. 8 core might come out at some point, though I don't believe it myself.

Lots of people here and on the internet have very short memory and don't know how to read. That "well-known" der8auer is already back pedalling on his saying.

Back peddling... ok. Because this der8auer guy just randomly is ROG branded on everything he does? Hmm...

https://rog.asus.com/tag/der8auer/

And the ROG board's vrm cooling wasn't redesigned with his help either?
This redesign comes after ASUS contacted Der8auer directly for collaboration on the new heatsink design, taking input from the renowned overclocker towards the final instance of it.

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...x299-rog-rampage-vi-apex.235255/#post-3694795

NAH, can't be!!

Back peddling... ok. Because this der8auer guy just randomly is ROG branded on everything he does? Hmm...

https://rog.asus.com/tag/der8auer/

And the ROG board's vrm cooling wasn't redesigned with his help either?

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...x299-rog-rampage-vi-apex.235255/#post-3694795

NAH, can't be!!
YouTube video provide no scientific data but appealing to dumb people. Check.
PR BS and you bought it. Check.

You're one of those naive people that believe everything on the internet. VRMs from the beginning of time (not really, but close) have been running hot. There's nothing new with VRMs requiring active cooling when OC, especially when pushing voltage. Q6600 and X38 need that, Q9650 and P45 need that, i7 920 and X58 need that, i7 3960X and X79 need that, i7 6900k and X99 need that. Even Asus' OC guide stated that if you push 6950X over 4.2Ghz, you should have active cooling for your VRM.
/Edit: back pedalling 3...2...1... Only overheat while OC to 4.6+Ghz and run Prime95 AVX. LOL.

Asus and a bazillion of others have designed very good VRM heatsink before without that guy's help. If you're saying the Rampage APEX VRM heatsink "has gotten better" due to his help then I'm pretty sure you've never seen this before:
http://xtreview.com/images/Asus-P6T-deluxe-113.jpg

Also this:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2131/2476028534_a9e86eec56_b.jpg

Oh... I'm sorry, those boards are concept designs from the future with der8auer's help. I'm genuinely sorry.

Last edited:
YouTube video provide no scientific data but appealing to dumb people. Check.
PR BS and you bought it. Check.

You're one of those naive people that believe everything on the internet. VRMs from the beginning of time (not really, but close) have been running hot. There's nothing new with VRMs requiring active cooling when OC, especially when pushing voltage. Q6600 and X38 need that, Q9650 and P45 need that, i7 920 and X58 need that, i7 3960X and X79 need that, i7 6900k and X99 need that. Even Asus' OC guide stated that if you push 6950X over 4.2Ghz, you should have active cooling for your VRM.
/Edit: back pedalling 3...2...1... Only overheat while OC to 4.6+Ghz and run Prime95 AVX. LOL.

Asus and a bazillion of others have designed very good VRM heatsink before without that guy's help. If you're saying the Rampage APEX VRM heatsink "has gotten better" due to his help then I'm pretty sure you've never seen this before:
http://xtreview.com/images/Asus-P6T-deluxe-113.jpg

Also this:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2131/2476028534_a9e86eec56_b.jpg

Oh... I'm sorry, those boards are concept designs from the future with der8auer's help. I'm genuinely sorry.

Wtf is your deal, low self esteem or some shit cuz you always resort to ad hominem attacks? Can't seem to counter the facts? Der8auer is pretty clear where he found fault with the boards cooling. Asus contacted him to redesign the vrm cooling. What's most hilarious is that der8auer is a damn ROG overclocker, ie he fucking works for Asus. See all his ROG branding? That signifies that hes a sponsored oc'er for Asus ROG.

This redesign comes after ASUS contacted Der8auer directly for collaboration on the new heatsink design, taking input from the renowned overclocker towards the final instance of it.

Wtf is your deal, low self esteem or some shit cuz you always resort to ad hominem attacks? Can't seem to counter the facts? Der8auer is pretty clear where he found fault with the boards cooling. Asus contacted him to redesign the vrm cooling. What's most hilarious is that der8auer is a damn ROG overclocker, ie he fucking works for Asus. See all his ROG branding? That signifies that hes a sponsored oc'er for Asus ROG.
It seems like you're the one who can't counter the fact: There is nothing wrong with X299 boards. They behave exactly like previous HEDT boards: run fine at stock or light OC, will need additional cooling with heavy OC & stress test.

Pro tip: If you haven't touch any X299 and Skylake-X CPU then don't keep reciting shit on the internet that you don't know about.

UPDATE:

Thanks all for the recommendations and opinions.

Bought an Asus Tuff Mark 1 motherboard, 7820X CPU, 16GB Vengeance 3200mhz RAM (2 x 8GB), Corsair 750e PSU, Corsair H100i cooler.

The mobo all the ports I need on it (lots of back panel USB).

The CPU makes more sense than a 7700k given what I need it for (no need to upgrade for much longer time for a little extra relative $$ now)

The RAM I will sell and buy a quad channel kit down the track but the CPU sucked all of my $$ so that will have to wait.

The PSU is quiet which was main requirement.

The cooler also quiet.

Thanks again!! Legends

Back