Out of the game for a while - looking for advice on AMD Upgrade

moussaka

Limp Gawd
I'm still running a 2600k @ 4.6. I started with an unlocked 6950. Moved to a 290x. Now I have a 1080, but the CPU is showing its age. I still game at 1080p @ 144Hz. Typically only CS:GO and Apex, but I get annoying fps drops and choppiness at times.

I'm pretty interested in a gen 3 Ryzen and I've been toying with the idea of getting a gen 2 now and upgrade later since, from what I've read, most MBs will be compatible with a BIOS update.

Basically, I'm looking for a quick CPU, MB, RAM upgrade without breaking the bank. The current Newegg deal with the 2700/X370/M.2 caught my eye, but I think I'd rather get a better/newer MB to be compatible with gen 3 later down the line. There seems to be a lot of value to be had right now, especially with gen 3 on the horizon.

So, my questions:
  • In my shoes, which MB series would you recommend? x470? B450? Any specific recommendations knowing that I want to move to gen 3 at some point?
  • Then, I'm not sure I'd instantly want to move to gen 3 if I end up with a 2700 or 2700x. If there is a gen 3 refresh next year will they also still work with today's MBs? (Speculate)
  • I've read these can be weird with RAM. Will I run into problems if I go 32gigs and what RAM would you recommend? Timings/Speed?
  • Finally, should I just suck it up and wait for gen 3 :wtf:
Thanks in advance

You won't get any better singe-threaded performance upgrading to Ryzen 2700x, so if it's a game that's holding you back I'd do the research into how many cores it can really use.

Ryzen is cheaper, but it's really only s better value for those who have workloads that can use the extra cores. The vast majority of games top-out at just six major threads, so you'll barely see a speedup of the 2700x (versus 4c/8t on the Sandy).

2018-11-25-image.png

If you're doing more than just gaming (something else that stresses your cores, like streaming), then the Ryzen upgrade makes more sense. But if all you are doing is playing games, you're going to need more per-core speed than Ryzen is offering.

You need to go 8700 or 9700, if you're looking for 144hz in every title.

If this is just an upgrade itch, wait another six months for Zen 2 to be released. if the pauses are driving you nuts, pick up the 8700k, and call it good for the next 5 years.

YOU DON'T NEED TO BUY INTO THE ZEN 2 HYPE TRAIN BEFORE IT'S EVEN AVAILABLE :D

Last edited:
Both CS:GO and Apex run on the same engine and I know CS:GO benefits from more cores via this video.

I only game a few times a week these days. I work in the Adobe Suite programs as well as running some VMs once and a while so I believe going AMD this round will benefit me a little more than Intel. I'm just trying to figure out my timeline and if it is beneficial to jump now or wait a few more months, but I suppose no one can answer that without seeing actual benches to judge the improvements.

It's kind of hard to believe my 8 year old CPU is still in contention with modern ones...

Fair.I keep forgetting that Source engine i used for these games, even though the company is owned by EA.

Just know that you won't see a performance improvement in any other console ports , as those are all designed to run on (6) SIX CORES of AMD's Jaguar x 2.

Back