Our Robot Overlords Can Now Make Wanted Posters

Interesting proof-of-concept that could later on be integrated into other robots, but I'll stick with a cheap inkjet printer for now.

I had one of those draw a picture of me at Epcot like 25 years ago. It would look for the strong features of your face and draw them. It was pretty cool - but OLD tech.

This is nothing new, 20 years ago I went to walt disney's Epcot center and there was a robot doing the exact same thing.

Back in the day we called this a "plotter."

I'm glad I'm not alone in seeing this. This is nothing more than an edge find algorithm thrown into raster-to-vector conversion and then run through a CAD/CAM system. This would have been a bit more amazing back in 1990. When the robot can paint a Salvador Dali, then I'll be impressed.

A specialized robot (inkjet printer) is much better at this. What would make this cool, is if it also demonstrated other general purpose feats, and did them well. Lets say open a can of beer for a spectator, grab a remote and change a channel on a TV, tell a kid to go do their homework, cook dinner, put the kids to bed..... ok gotta stop there.

Was I the only one hoping it was going to go ape shit and smash the dry erase board when it went to pick it up?

Watched the video and first thing that came into my head was "plotter?".

The key to programming a plotter is to make it as annoying as possible. Plotting the Mandelbrot set? Don't keep the pen on the paper. Slam it down for every pixel as fast as you can while newbs are trying to code their assignments at 1am. :D

Back