Our New Compellent Storage Center [pics]

agrikk

Gawd
Our company is building a new data warehouse and has run out of iSCSI storage in our VMware cluster, so it was time to figure out how we wanted to add more storage.

We are currently using a NetApp FAS2050 that I absolutely hate. Don't get me wrong- it's a really solid performing device and has never given us any grief, but the way it is set up seems to be a horrible, horrible waste of disk (twenty 300gb disks (5360gb raw storage). two disk aggregates each with two parity disks and a spare (down to 3192gb), two volumes using 90% of the aggregate (down to 2872gb), multiple LUNs that can use no more than 90% of a volume (down to 2585gb).

Usable space? 48% of raw

and nevermind the lack of SNMP monitoring.

So rather than spend another $20k on another shelf for this thing, I wanted to see what was out there and I found Compellent.

The short version of my love affair with this device is its ability to handle storage across multiple tiers of disk at the block level, deciding on the fly access patterns of a block and determining which tier of disk it should be stored on as well as where on a disk the block is stored. On the fly short stroking of disks sounded pretty rad to me.

Also if a disk block is accessed alot it is written across disks in RAID-10, but as its usage fades away, its stripes will be converted on the fly to RAID-5 in the background and dropped to lower quality storage tiers for long term storage, recovering disk space automatically.

Hell yeah.

So we spent a chunk of change for a fully redundant, dual-head solution with a mix of SAS 450GB 15k drives and 1TB 7K drives.

It arrived last week and we put it all together and racked it today. Next week the Compellent guys show up to install the software and configure the thing.

Here's a photo log of the work done to date.

Last edited:
Brown box shot:

IMG_0271.JPG

Rear of the drive shelf, showing two SAS bays and redundant PSU

shelf-rear.JPG

12-bay hard drive shelf

shelf-front.JPG

six 450GB 15k SAS drives and six 1TB 7K SATA drives

hd1.JPG

Hard drive pile - 8.7TB raw capacity

hd2.JPG

One of the Storage Center heads. Why hello Supermicro!

head-front.JPG

Rear of one of the heads - before adding more cards

head-rear.JPG

The guts

guts1.JPG

Last edited:
Surprised they are still using the SuperMicro chassis, would have thought they would be all Dell by now. Looking forward to seeing the updates.

Surprised they are still using the SuperMicro chassis, would have thought they would be all Dell by now. Looking forward to seeing the updates.

My guess is that it's still to early into the takeover thing that they're still using the hardware that they've always used. My guess is that late this year they'll transition to Dell gear.

Supermicro X7DBI+ motherboard (with a Xeon quad-core and 2GB RAM)

guts2.JPG

iSCSI NIC showing battery backup and cache

guts5.JPG

Closeup of iSCSI NIC information

guts6.JPG

More add-in cards

cards.JPG

4-port SAS interface card

cards2.JPG

two-port NIC

cards3.JPG

Card slots filling up (top to bottom): 2-port gigE NIC, SAS HBA, iSCSI NIC, IPMI card

guts4.JPG

another shot of the cards

guts3.JPG

two heads with all cards installed

IMG_0167.JPG

8U of disk. A bit tall, but yummy!

IMG_0169.JPG

bezels on

IMG_0170.JPG

Last edited:
Looks good... looks better than whitebox hardware so and at like 1/2 the price! WIN!

Ahhh... Compellent. I miss the steak lunches they always gave me when they were wining n dining me.
EMC's treatin' me pretty well though. :)

About time. :)

We heard like a week before that Dell was going to buy out Compellant. In a way I'm kind of glad we left that alone and went EMC.

But it looks good!

Have you got the chance to turn it on yet? What do you think of the management interface?

Frankly, I'm pretty stoked that Dell bought Compellent, since our broke-ass company can't really get a good line of credit anywhere except for Dell. We received our gear last week and literally still haven't signed anything from anyone. PO for Dell? No problem! :D

We haven't turned ours on yet (the Compellent guys are coming in on Monday to install the OS and all that) but we got to play around with one through a VPN connection to their lab, and the interface is retardedly simple.

Still, I miss playing on true enterprise gear like EMC, though. Making spindles scream through active/active FC connections is always fun...

I haven't heard of a FAS205. Do you mean FAS2050?

What's your application?

Still, I miss playing on true enterprise gear like EMC, though. Making spindles scream through active/active FC connections is always fun...

You don't have to divoluge pricing, but I'm wondering how it cost compared to the VNXe 3100 we have. Maybe this is a PM conversation

I haven't heard of a FAS205. Do you mean FAS2050?

What's your application?

Typo. It's a FAS 2050.

The 2050 was host to about 60 VMs under ESX4. The VMs will move to the Storage Center and the NetApp will be repurposed as dedicated storage for a SQL 2008 data warehouse that I'm building.

Racked and cabled it yesterday:

The Storage Center's new home

IMG_0213.JPG

Racking the first head

IMG_0214.JPG

second head racked

IMG_0215.JPG

back side of both heads racked

IMG_0216.JPG

front of two heads and disk tray

IMG_0217.JPG

back of two heads and disk tray

IMG_0218.JPG

all racked up with bezels on

IMG_0220.JPG

all cabled up

IMG_0221.JPG

Last edited:
The install went as smooth as anything. I added the storage to our ESX cluster and vmotioned our VMs from the NetApp to the Storage Center over a few days with no downtime.

I'd meant to do a writeup of my experience and will still do so, but basically the NetApp has better performance overall (especially when a VM has been idle and has moved to Tier Two Storage), but the Compellent is much much much easier to use.

Plus SNMP integration into our What's Up Gold monitoring solution gives me a lot better insight into what's going on on disk.

Pics of the management interface and stuff to come.

Looks like an interesting setup.

You say the NetApp had better performance; was this significant, or just to the point of being noticeable?

Buddy of mine has a few Compellents and a few EMCs at his work.. (and some other stuff too.. lots of big hardware, wish I could play with his toys lol)

From his reports the Compellents are head and shoulders above the EMCs in every way.

Looks like an interesting setup.

You say the NetApp had better performance; was this significant, or just to the point of being noticeable?

Initially it was very noticable, but this was most probably due to me not waiting for the new volumes to fully initialize before slamming them into production.

But now I don't think the average user notices. I don't have any quantifiable benchmarks to prove it either way (shame on me!) before the volumes went into production.

From his reports the Compellents are head and shoulders above the EMCs in every way.

My only wish is that we could afford more spindles in the Compellent. Our NetApp has twenty 15k disks to the Compellent's 12 (split 6 15k SAS and 6 7.2k SATA) and I'm sure the NetApp's higher spindle count with all-SAS has to do with its better performance.

I'd love to bring up the SAS spindle count to twenty in the Compellent and then watch it fly. I bet it would blow doors at that point...

Yeah, I'm sure the Compellent would be as fast, if not faster than the NetApp if you got the SAS drive count up.

Back