Our IPv6 Deployment

Ehren8879

Supreme [H]ardness
Officially began today. As of 5am this morning we're advertising our /32 IPv6 prefix to the interwebs.

Ipv6 is easy. If I can do it, anyone can :D

6cgiSaV.png

That reminds me I have not seen any the sky is falling we all need IPv6 now stories for a while now.

HURRAY!!!! Next step? Reverse DNS :-p

Actually the next step is to get our resolvers on v6 and serve up some AAAA's !

I don't even want to think about rDNS right now :( Getting our DHCP servers to transfer leased PD information to our auth servers is going to be fun.

Any hints on documentation/resources you used? And congrats!

Same resources I use for most aspects of my job: Youtube and forums :D

I'm certainly not an IPv6 sage, but I'm happy to share what I know.

Cool stuff. I've been wanting to look into playing with ipv6. My ISP does not support it though but I can always do it as an internal lab network. I think it's also possible to get a ipv6 "tunnel" to the internet through Hurricane Electric and possibly other providers so I could always do that to test online "presense".

I'm surprised ipv6 is not rolling out faster though, since the very last ipv4 address range was used up not too long ago. Guess any new ISPs now are just going straight to ipv6.

Cool stuff. I've been wanting to look into playing with ipv6. My ISP does not support it though but I can always do it as an internal lab network. I think it's also possible to get a ipv6 "tunnel" to the internet through Hurricane Electric and possibly other providers so I could always do that to test online "presense".

I'm surprised ipv6 is not rolling out faster though, since the very last ipv4 address range was used up not too long ago. Guess any new ISPs now are just going straight to ipv6.

This is kind of a misnomer, ARIN still has IP blocks to allocate. They have a page on their site that indicates available addressing -- it shows they have aggregate 2.43 /8 networks remaining.

This doesn't include IP blocks that are already allocated to ISPs. There are a TON of free addresses that are just being held by providers, they bought them up a while back when the address shortage scare started.

https://www.arin.net/resources/request/ipv4_countdown.html

Congrats. I should be able to reach you via my HE.net tunnelbroker IPv6 tunnel that I have setup on my pfSense firewall at home.

This is kind of a misnomer, ARIN still has IP blocks to allocate. They have a page on their site that indicates available addressing -- it shows they have aggregate 2.43 /8 networks remaining.

This doesn't include IP blocks that are already allocated to ISPs. There are a TON of free addresses that are just being held by providers, they bought them up a while back when the address shortage scare started.

https://www.arin.net/resources/request/ipv4_countdown.html

Interesting. I thought there was a news article a while back stating that the last block had been used, or maybe it was false info, or companies actually released some?

Congrats. I should be able to reach you via my HE.net tunnelbroker IPv6 tunnel that I have setup on my pfSense firewall at home.

We're single homed to cogent, so maybe not. Apparently there's still an IPv6 peering dispute between HE and Cogent. For instance if I try to run test-ipv6.com it fails every time. Reason is we have no route to the test's v6 content on HE's AS. If I run the test from a mirror it passes.

It's been said there are two views of the IPv6 internet. Cogent's and everybody else.

Do you have an interface IP on that pf box I can try to ping?

Interesting. I thought there was a news article a while back stating that the last block had been used, or maybe it was false info, or companies actually released some?

I think the articles were referring to IANA not having any additional blocks to allocate to ARIN. I read many of the same articles and was surprised when i stumbled on the available blocks through ARIN. While there isn't a massive amount available, i do think a lot of the hysteria was thanks to the media fear mongering :)

i've been wanting to deploy ipv6 in my house but i can't get my head around it so i said eff it LOL. I don't think my ISP has ipv6 deployed to my router anyways to make it worth my time.

i've been wanting to deploy ipv6 in my house but i can't get my head around it so i said eff it LOL. I don't think my ISP has ipv6 deployed to my router anyways to make it worth my time.

Yeah it's kinda confusing, but I think the best way is to just dive right in, and once I'm done my basement and other projects and build a new VM/storage server I think I will setup a "IPv6 lab".

Actually, do older Cisco routers do IPv6 by chance? Like Cisco 1841? Could be fun to make a Cisco/Linux IPv6 lab.

Yeah it's kinda confusing, but I think the best way is to just dive right in, and once I'm done my basement and other projects and build a new VM/storage server I think I will setup a "IPv6 lab".

Actually, do older Cisco routers do IPv6 by chance? Like Cisco 1841? Could be fun to make a Cisco/Linux IPv6 lab.

If you have a newer IOS then yes.

I started with prefix subnetting. Once I wrapped my head around how I wanted to divide up my space I then transitioned to unicast routing. Only when I ran into routing issues did I take the time to learn how the neighbor discovery protocol functions. That lead to learning IPv6 multicasting and finally overall v6 network security once I knew what to actually protect.

Understanding how IPv6 is hierarchy based really helps with address planning and being comfortable with reading addresses.

We're single homed to cogent, so maybe not. Apparently there's still an IPv6 peering dispute between HE and Cogent. For instance if I try to run test-ipv6.com it fails every time. Reason is we have no route to the test's v6 content on HE's AS. If I run the test from a mirror it passes.

It's been said there are two views of the IPv6 internet. Cogent's and everybody else.

Do you have an interface IP on that pf box I can try to ping?

Sorry for the late response. Forgot about this thread. Send me a PM if you would like my IPv6 address for testing.

Back