Ouch: PS3 loses an exclusive...to Wii

Source

Looks like Monster Hunter--which is huge in Japan, but I have no idea how it does over here in the US--has abandoned PS3 because it's too expensive to dev for. Interesting news as the momentum just keeps swinging toward the Wii...

I can't honestly say I'll miss it. It appears to have larger audience on the PSP anyway.

I'm a big Playstation fan and I've never even heard of it (maybe I wasn't a big of a fan as I thought?)

I've heard of it and seen it for sale, but never bought a copy. Seems like it's a way bigger deal in Japan. Still, an interesting additional development.

I've heard of it and seen it for sale, but never bought a copy. Seems like it's a way bigger deal in Japan. Still, an interesting additional development.

If it was a big deal in Japan then there is little doubt why they would choose the Wii. Capcom has been very smart lately with targeting their releases to the platform that reaches the right market. If you look at what Capcom has been doing lately, I think whoever is doing their strategic planning is a genius. I think they've nailed down what each platform will do for each of their games.

If it was a big deal in Japan then there is little doubt why they would choose the Wii. Capcom has been very smart lately with targeting their releases to the platform that reaches the right market. If you look at what Capcom has been doing lately, I think whoever is doing their strategic planning is a genius. I think they've nailed down what each platform will do for each of their games.

agreed, they've been very smart of late. I'm glad we're not seeing this generation so badly lopsided so far (although if the Wii keeps selling the way it is, that could change in a year or two).

Count me as officially gutted...

Monster Hunter was one of the games I was hoping would come to the PS3 as I love both games on the PSP.

Tbh i'd probably play it more on my PSP anyway... PS3=Bluray player that one day I 'might' use to play games (should some come out for it:p) and my 360's gathering dust... rarely have time to play games these days unless it's on the go... hence probably playing on the PSP version more.

Still gutting though... I have no plans to get a Wii at all, maybe that might change now :p

I doubt anyone in US cares about this news. It is after all an extremely mediocre franchise.

lol, wow. HUUUGE LOSS. This makes me want to sell my PS3. Is this the best news you can post your nintendo manboy crush can post?

lol, wow. HUUUGE LOSS. This makes me want to sell my PS3. Is this the best news you can post your nintendo manboy crush can post?

with all due respect, screw you sir. your comment is useless, which has created mine of equal worthlessness.

The Monster Hunter series is actually really neat. It is a shame the series hasn't done so well over here, as it is one of the few online console games that is really quite awesome.

It is sort of an online RPG (not Massively Multiplayer) along the lines of PSO, or Diablo, but without so many statistics. There is a much greater emphasis on team-work, strategy, and skill. Also, critters scale to outrageous proportions.

Anyway, this isn't MGS or Final Fantasy, but it is one more thing the PS3 does not need. True, it matters even less immediately for NA, but Japan and Europe are both strong territories for the Monster Hunter series. With the largest price tag of all platforms the PS3 needs any reason for customers to part with their dollars, euros, and yen. That one or two AAA game isn't going to cut it in the long run, and we are all aware that sales figures demonstrate as much.

Still, I'm sure there will be plenty of timeless classics on the PS3. I'm not about to outright dismiss it, but for the time being there are so many other games to to be had. This only ends up as better news for me, because I am interested in the Monster Hunter series. Seeing it Wii bound means I can grab it up without worrying about a massive price tag.

lol i notice everyones always trying to defend their purchase all the time when bad news comes. Some just can't face the facts. Overall i think the ps3 won't have too many exclusives in the end since its user base is the smallest so far. Ps3 already lost unreal 3 for this year also. Not too good of a year to be a ps3 owner lol. Mainly multi-platform titles and stuff.

lol i notice everyones always trying to defend their purchase all the time when bad news comes. Some just can't face the facts. Overall i think the ps3 won't have too many exclusives in the end since its user base is the smallest so far. Ps3 already lost unreal 3 for this year also. Not too good of a year to be a ps3 owner lol. Mainly multi-platform titles and stuff.

Yeah, no kidding, what crawled up 4Saken's rear end and died? LOL.

So far, though, you're definitely right, and if the pattern continues as it has for nearly a year now, publishers will continue to turn a blind eye on PS3. It's sort of a shame in that PS3 is a decent piece of hardware; on the other hand, Sony deserves everything that's happening to them right now, and really, I fully believe that EVERY giant should get knocked to the ground from time to time. Good for putting the world back in perspective again, as Nintendo is neatly proving right now. Getting their asses handed to them by Sony for 10 years was the best thing that ever happened to them.

well looks like i wont be getting a ps3. i was really going to buy it just for this game.................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

I think many people on this board are underestimating just how much of a big deal losing Monster Hunter 3 would be to Sony. Granted maybe not in America or Europe so much, but Monster Hunter Freedom 2 (Monster Hunter Portable 2nd in Japan) is already one of the biggest selling games in Japan for the PSP and apparantly the first game to go Platinum on PSP within Japan from what I've read (I'm sure you'll all correct me if I'm wrong though :p)

I seriously <3 the game on PSP, but alot of people outside of Japan it seems just dont 'get' how to play the game and treat it as a hack and slash without fully understanding it's finer points. Just IMO:cool:

I would definately recommend this game to people that like putting time into games to get the rewards out of them:)

Woah, so this game is somewhat PSO-esque?

I absolutely love games like that, never even knew thats what monster hunter was about

Yeah, no kidding, what crawled up 4Saken's rear end and died? LOL.

So far, though, you're definitely right, and if the pattern continues as it has for nearly a year now, publishers will continue to turn a blind eye on PS3. It's sort of a shame in that PS3 is a decent piece of hardware; on the other hand, Sony deserves everything that's happening to them right now, and really, I fully believe that EVERY giant should get knocked to the ground from time to time. Good for putting the world back in perspective again, as Nintendo is neatly proving right now. Getting their asses handed to them by Sony for 10 years was the best thing that ever happened to them.

See, i knew you created all these threads just to prove you really are blindly rallying behind Nintendo. Even though you always post that you truly are not a f@nboy. Seriously who cares about this game going to the Wii? Most of us have never even heard of it. Way to stretch the anti-sony propaganda to its limits here.

well looks like i wont be getting a ps3. i was really going to buy it just for this game.................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

If you were going to spend 400 $ just to play one game....you either have way to much money
or...

Well the question is

1. Does capcom simply not think the game is worth spending the money on to make cross-platform because I think it stated they just felt it was to expensive to produce it for the PS3 for there theoretical return.

2. Because the game never developed a base or following outside of Japan, making it for the PS3 did not make sense since a huge install base for the PS3 is in NA and Europe which would be useless for this game

Well the question is

1. Does capcom simply not think the game is worth spending the money on to make cross-platform because I think it stated they just felt it was to expensive to produce it for the PS3 for there theoretical return.

2. Because the game never developed a base or following outside of Japan, making it for the PS3 did not make sense since a huge install base for the PS3 is in NA and Europe which would be useless for this game

Capcom doesn't seem interested in sticking their neck out for anyone. I think you've pretty much hit the reason. Since the big market for the game is Japan, they produced it for the main system in Japan. The development costs for a PS3 version, with the different architecture and the higher graphic quality that consumers would demand from the PS3 version probably doesn't match up to the potential profit of doing so.

See, i knew you created all these threads just to prove you really are blindly rallying behind Nintendo. Even though you always post that you truly are not a f@nboy. Seriously who cares about this game going to the Wii? Most of us have never even heard of it. Way to stretch the anti-sony propaganda to its limits here.

Um, no, I'm not blindly loyal to ANY corporation, that's YOUR gig thanks. Apparently several peeps in this thread alone DO care. It's not "anti Sony propaganda", and I recommend you go and read the dictionary definition of what the word Propaganda actually means. What this is, simply enough, is the Playstation family of consoles losing a game to the Nintendo family of console, that IS a big deal in Japan. clearly it's not numero uno here--and nobody ever said it was. That doesn't make it *irrelevant*, nor does it make it propaganda.

Yeah America may be the cash cow with the largest sales, but Japan has the most amount of development and is the second largest market so it may not be a huge deal but it's worth a thread about it. To some this is just one more reason not to buy a Ps3. It’s not anti ps3 propaganda it's just bad news for ps3.

Yeah America may be the cash cow with the largest sales, but Japan has the most amount of development and is the second largest market so it may not be a huge deal but it's worth a thread about it. To some this is just one more reason not to buy a Ps3. It&#8217;s not anti ps3 propaganda it's just bad news for ps3.

QFT

Simple fact is in Europe and NA the game isnt anywhere near as big as it is in Japan, but similarly that could be because the game has never been pushed to the same extent as other games *cough* Halo3 *cough*. With enough advertising power, most 'reasonable' games have the potential ability to make it big in any territorial market IMO. Although, to get back on topic.....

Capcom have simply gone the route of putting the game in the hands of the system that will generate them the most sales/profit, simple as. Will I buy a Wii just to play this game when/if it comes out over here (UK), I don't know. But i see no anti PS3 propaganda going on and agree with above, it's just bad news for PS3, more specifically on the Japanese front.

Back