Other uses for power supply slot?

OFaceSIG

2[H]4U
So I asked the 3D printer guys one way, maybe the power supply guys have another view point. Have you ever used an open ATX power supply slot for something else? Some form of adapter to hold hard drives maybe, or water cooling tube management?

I don't see why you couldn't, but I've also never built a computer that didn't require a power supply.

I'd imagine that most things that would fit in a 5.25 bays would fit in a power supply slot.

Dimensions of an ATX power supply are 150 mm width, 86 mm height, and typically 140 mm depth

(5.25 inch bays) are 5+3⁄4 inches (146.1 mm) wide, 3+1⁄4 inches (82.6 mm) high and up to 8 inches (203.2 mm) depth

So, pretty close? Especially if you consider the cable sticking out of a power supply.

Last edited:
Hmm, thats an interesting question. I do have a case that supports dual power supplies:

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16811147157

I guess I never thought to use the second spot for anything............I bet you could mount an LCD screen there, that might be cool for temp/usage readouts, or maybe a touchscreen for media controls.

Back