"Other User" only login option

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by haggggler, Feb 21, 2013.

1. haggggler

haggggler Gawd

Windows 7 machine, probably heavily infected so I figured the only safe thing to do is a total factory restore. A normal boot brings up the 2 known users and I'm able to log on to either account. A boot using f8 and repair system option brings me to a screen that only shows "other user" an a possible log on. Selecting this I'm queried for a username and password. Nothing works here and I'm given the error "The Specified Domain Either Does Not Exist or Could Not Be Contacted." I checked network settings and I'm still setup as a work-group not a domain. I spent about an hour digging around to no avail so I figured I'd format/restore to factory and since I cant access the recovery partition because of the "other user" option I made the recovery partition the active one. Dam thing failed to boot, missing NTDR. Always worked in the past.

Anyone know whats going on with the "other user" option (root kit?) or have a clue as to how I can use Dells restore partition to create a restore disk?

Thanks for any help.

2. haggggler

haggggler Gawd

3. Biznatch

Biznatch 2[H]4U

try .\username that will force to use the computer name instead of a domain.