Other cooling options for the 6800 GT

Phazedplasma

Limp Gawd
So the new BFG fan aint all it cracked up to be and i was wondering what else i can do to keep my card cooler. I know a lot of companies make video card cooling packages but will they fit my card?

Do yourself a favor and get a vantec spectrum pci slot fan. Do a search for it here in theforums and read what people have been doing with them. Lowered my temps by about 11C. :D Just make sure you take the cover off the standard GT cooler

*edit* - oh wait do you have the revision 2 with the non-stockcooler? if so the trick may still work but not completely sure. If not you can wait for the VGA Silencer Rev. 5

Nope I read somewhere where one person called BFG and they said that it didn't void their warranty to just remove the top cover.

But do you have the cooler with one fan or two??

2 fans, i have a small mini fan blowing inside my case and it lowered my idle temps from 59 to 54.

I took off the entire heatsink and applied some AS5 to it and put a Vantec spectrum 2 slots under it (leaving the face plate off) and turned it to medium speed. Made a pretty good difference in temps.
I'm running at 415/1130 @ 72C under load now. Haven't tried any higher yet.

blbrchnk said:
Do yourself a favor and get a vantec spectrum pci slot fan. Do a search for it here in theforums and read what people have been doing with them. Lowered my temps by about 11C. :D Just make sure you take the cover off the standard GT cooler

*edit* - oh wait do you have the revision 2 with the non-stockcooler? if so the trick may still work but not completely sure. If not you can wait for the VGA Silencer Rev. 5

I have the Vantec PCI card fans. . .I dont think they make that much of a difference.

I'm really waiting for the VGA Silencer. That will blow hot air out of the case also.

i'm waiting for the silencer as well but who knows when that will be out, although i searched google and found some foriegn sights that listed a NV silencer rev. 5 for the 6800 but i don't know if its real or not.

Scheizekopf said:
I have the Vantec PCI card fans. . .I dont think they make that much of a difference.

I'm really waiting for the VGA Silencer. That will blow hot air out of the case also.

did you remove the faceplate off of your 6800?

Just FYI I've learned that the new Gainward solution is also less efficient than the reference cooler (runs ~5 degrees hotter)

Phazedplasma said:
what d u mean by the face plate?

the copper part with the fans?

The removable plate that is screwed on the top of the heatsink. It usually has a company graphic and stuff on it. Removing it exposes all of the heatsink to the airflow created by the Vantec Spectrum.

Any waterblock for an FX5800/FX5900 will work on the 6800s. I'm using a Swiftech waterblock with a FX5900/5950 bracket on my vanilla 6800. I also put Zalman ramsinks on the...well....ram.

Back