OSX Yosemite Install issues on an SSD on a MacBook Pro 15"

RavinDJ

Supreme [H]ardness
So I purchased a Kingston 120GB SSD and put it into my somewhat-older MacBook Pro. It's a 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo with 4 GB 667MHz DDR2.

For the life of me I cannot install Yosemite. WTF?!?!? My Google-Fu is pretty good and I've seen other people having a very similar issue - if not the EXACT issue.

Any of you guys have come up with a resolution that actually works?

UGH... I downloaded Yosemite and loaded it onto a Dual Layer DVD. Tried installing it but nothing works.

Any help will be greatly and truly appreciated! Thanks!!

Have you tried using internet recovery? Certain machines will allow you to do that with no HDD being usable. Or you could just go to the genius bar and they will do it for free.

Thanks guys!

The upon installing, it stops/freezes midway through the installation. I just see the apple logo on a gray screen and the status bar freezes half way and the DVD drive stops reading data from the DVD.

I'll try the Internet recovery/install. If not, I guess I'll go to the genius bar.

Ugh... I already wasted hours on this. This is why sometimes I utterly HATE technology. Fruitless hours spent. I don't care if something takes 10 hours but I get it working. But spending 3-4 and no results is just pissing me off :mad:

Thanks guys!

The upon installing, it stops/freezes midway through the installation. I just see the apple logo on a gray screen and the status bar freezes half way and the DVD drive stops reading data from the DVD.

I'll try the Internet recovery/install. If not, I guess I'll go to the genius bar.

Ugh... I already wasted hours on this. This is why sometimes I utterly HATE technology. Fruitless hours spent. I don't care if something takes 10 hours but I get it working. But spending 3-4 and no results is just pissing me off :mad:

Sounds to me like you have 6 good hours left by your own estimation :p

In all seriousness though, those DVD drives in the older MacBooks were horrible, it could very well be that you just can't read the DVD correctly, be sure to verify it or even go as far as burning it at a slower speed just to be sure.

have you tried making a usb install of yosemite?

much faster then going to dvd.

have you tried making a usb install of yosemite?

much faster then going to dvd.

This is what I immediately thought of as well. Might also be worth trying a cheap USB DVD drive. The superdrives are garbage.

On a working Mac running Lion or above (you can boot from your old disk via USB if needed):

Go to the app store and download the Yosemite installer. It will take a few minutes. Just download it, don't run it.

In disk utilityPartition the usb drive to Mac OS journaled. Name it Untitled

Open terminal and copy/paste this into the terminal window:

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app --nointeraction

This will take a few minutes especially on a slower/older USB drive.

When the terminal window indicates that it is done you can eject your USB disk.

Plug it into the machine with the new SSD

Hold the option key as you power up the machine.

Select the USB drive to boot from

Install OS X as normal onto the new SSD.

Back