OSX Mavericks? Anyone upgrade yet?

S

shade91

Just curious if anyone has upgraded yet. Any bumps along the way from 10.8?

I'm not sure if I will, considering I have a 2.26 Ghz Core 2 Duo, with 4 GB of RAM. I'm going to see what others, who have a similar model Mac, say about running Mavericks.

Running it on my late 2012 Mac Mini. No problems aside from a couple of trackpad gestures not working, which I blame on Logitech's crappy software.

I'm downloading it right now. My internet is slow and crappy, and I suspect that Apple is getting hammered with downloaders, so it will probably take me a while.

I'm running a maxed out Mid 2011 iMac, so I am expecting no issues, at least in terms of performance. (3.4GHz i7, 6970, 16GB Ram [Okay... so this could be 32GB to truly max it, but whatever], SSD)

I've run all the developer previews on my 27" 2011 imac, full upgraded and it was buggy as well and slow. Prone to hangs and crashes. I expected the app incompatibility.

But what I had the greatest problem with was when viewing videos on the network. Loading network shares and navigating the network via finder was very very slow or just flat out crashed. When I managed to get to my videos and play one either quicktime or finder would lock up and i'd have to force quit it or sometimes just reboot.

As of the last build none of these things were fixed for me.

I've had the opposite experience. Mavericks actually made file browsing my Synology NAS faster.

I'm looking forward to installing it on my late 07' MBP. It couldn't be any slower at this point. ;)

I upgraded my Late 2012 Mac Mini and my Mid 2012 MacBook Pro. Everything seems to be perfect.

Just upgraded mine as well. So far so good.. Really liking the better dual screen support.

Upgraded my Late '08 Macbook Pro...no issues to report yet. Upgrade went smooth as could be.

Just did it on mine and the biggest difference is definitely Safari; hitting back no longer makes the last page reload, which was my biggest gripe with the old version.

Just did it on mine and the biggest difference is definitely Safari; hitting back no longer makes the last page reload, which was my biggest gripe with the old version.

That alone makes me want to update. That shit was retarded.

Just updated an early 2009 mac mini (2.26Ghz core 2 duo, 4Gb ram, nvidia geforce 9400m 256) with Mavericks and it seems to be working just fine so far. Install was easy and clean, no problems to report so far.

My MBPr is running it very nicely, no issues that I can see.

Multiple displays thing is great as are the performance/battery improvements.

Updated my 2013 MBA. File copy speed to/from my 2008 R2 server is faster and more consistent, and browsing is significantly faster.

all seems normal on my mid-2010 macbook pro so far. I like the safari 'power saver' feature that stops flash advertisements from playing unless you click on them.

Since I see people upgrading with similar, and even slightly older hardware, I think I'll go ahead and do it. I'm going to wait until Friday night though, since this is a computer I use for work a lot.

Seems to work fine on my old MBP. Didn't have a lot of time to verify everything, but there were no issues immediately apparent.

Been running it since the first DP, it is so much faster then ML and battery life is much better, the new features are really useful as well.

Ran it on my 2009 13" mbp (2.26 and 4gb ram) really was impressed with how much better it ran compared to 10.8. If I wasn't selling the computer I would have done a clean install last night.

Installing on my hackintosh partition over my Mountaion Lion install. Just looking over kexts and I'll be good to go.:D

Much better than 10.8 with regards to speed.

1st gen retina.

Been running since yesterday afternoon, took less then an hour to do it as a lunchtime upgrade. Only app I had problems with so far was Symantec Endpoint Protection, but as soon as I reloaded Java it was fine.

Could this be the last intel based OS for Apple since aren't they looking to go to ARM for all their systems across the board?

I upgraded and so far I like the changes, I got a nice boost to battery life as well.

Still running 10.8 on my MBP (13", pre-Retina). Waiting with the upgrade a bit until I get this piece of work finished. It's my development system for the iOS development I do and I don't want to risk anything mucking things up too badly :D

Could this be the last intel based OS for Apple since aren't they looking to go to ARM for all their systems across the board?

No? They just rolled out the most powerful x86 computer they've ever released in the Mac Pro. Why would they release such a beast of a computer only to dump support for the architecture before 10.10 comes out next year? Apple isn't even close to being able to dump x86 from their product lineup. I'd expect to see an ARM-powered Macbook within the next few years, but an architecture shift for the entire Mac product line isn't a possibility anytime soon.

Finally finished installing it. I should probably take the tour, if I'm honest, I haven't been keeping up to date with all the changes in Mavericks. So far the only noticeable thing that I really dislike is the grey non-transparent dock. All the icons now seem significantly more saturated. Not sure why they made that choice either, although it isn't a big deal.

A quick run down:

If you click on the battery symbol at the top right it will tell you what Apps are using a lot of power.

Activity monitor has had a bit of updates, and it now tells you how much power each app is using.
This is measured in some proprietary measurement which I will call "Baby Seals Clubbed to Death per Hour"

Multi Monitor support has been updated, you now have an bar at the top of every screen.
You can now run multiple full screen apps at the same time on multiple monitors.

Battery, CPU and RAM saving shit.

I just got my hands on a late 2008 metal unibody Macbook (NOT pro) with 2 ghz C2d and 2 gigs of ram. I know that the apple website says I can update all the way to Mavericks, but do you think that will significantly decrease the performance of the laptop compared to let's say snow leopard?

I just got my hands on a late 2008 metal unibody Macbook (NOT pro) with 2 ghz C2d and 2 gigs of ram. I know that the apple website says I can update all the way to Mavericks, but do you think that will significantly decrease the performance of the laptop compared to let's say snow leopard?

OS X updates generally increase performance on the same hardware. This is no Zak—er, this is no Windows.

You'll want to max out the RAM, but you should be fine on Mavericks.

Oh to add things such as apps or folders to the toolbar in finder you need cmd-click+drag

I discovered that click+drag no longer works whilst trying to drag up folder-up app to the toolbar.

Back