OSX Lion, worth upgrading?

soulesschild

Supreme [H]ardness
Is Lion finally worth upgrading to yet? Last I read it had tons of buggy issues that most people on [H] seemed to tell people to steer away from.

I mainly use my Mac to code C/C++/Java. Are there still any deal breaking issues or major app incompatibilities?

Bugs? Never heard of that, always worked fine for me.

If you don't need it, I wouldn't bother however.

I like all all the changes that Lion has done to my workflow, specifically in regards to Mission Control and gesturing. I personally haven't experienced any issues with Lion, although I waited until 10.7.2 before updating so I didn't experience early adopter issues.

There is an entire thread here that has many complaints. But honestly most of what is in there is a vocal minority rather than a satisfied or reasonably satisfied majority.

I hated Lion when it first came but now that it's at 10.7.2 and after a lot of tweaking it's not bad.

As a non mac user. Lion seemed to have lots of new features that really got me interested in OSX finally.

Mission control, versions, resume support, autosave, fullscreen apps can be nice on smaller screens too and the app store is growing and it's pretty nice.

And of course the additional multi-touch gestures.

I really wish Windows had a multi-desktop space environment that worked seamlessly with the OS. None of the third party implementations seem to work as nice as mission control. or even spaces before that.

Last edited:
I really wish Windows had a multi-desktop space environment that worked seamlessly with the OS. None of the third party implementations seem to work as nice as mission control. or even spaces before that.

windows 8?

windows 8?

I used the MS BUILD version of Windows 8 that was released to the public and I didn't find any multi-desktop space anywhere.

I'm talking about a single-monitor with multiple virtual desktop spaces just like Spaces or Mission Control on a Mac.

Last edited:
Hated Lion. Went back to SL.
This is how it reads to me:

Hated iPhone 4. Went back to iPhone 3GS.

Anyway, I think most people who dislike Lion are the ones who have customized their SL way too much. If you used defaults in SL and upgraded to Lion, there's nothing to dislike; quite the contrary. So, for new Mac users like myself, Lion is incredible. As a developer, I really like some of the things they're doing to push OSes forward (like Versions).

Mainly I dislike the removal of the today/this week/this month views in Finder, those having been replaced with the practically-worthless All My Files view. Supposedly their behavior can be replicated via Smart Folders, but I haven't found a way to get them to function the way they did in Snow Leopard.

Those were integral to my workflow in OS X, so I've had to modify my workflow to accommodate for their absence, and it's been a big step backwards.

Otherwise, things are fine.

I'm talking about a single-monitor with multiple virtual desktop spaces just like Spaces or Mission Control on a Mac.

With Lion, I thought you still had that as an option? Might not be called Spaces, but you can still have multiple desktop spaces.
Open Mission Control.
Move your mouse cursor to the top right corner of your screen.
A plus sign (+) will show up there. Click on it as many times as you want (up to a total of 18 desktops can be created, I believe).

I currently use Lion on my personal MacBook Pro and have four desktops enabled. FYI, you can also enable full screen mode for some apps (like iTunes or iPhoto) and it counts as a 'space' or 'desktop'.

With Lion, I thought you still had that as an option? Might not be called Spaces, but you can still have multiple desktop spaces.
Open Mission Control.
Move your mouse cursor to the top right corner of your screen.
A plus sign (+) will show up there. Click on it as many times as you want (up to a total of 18 desktops can be created, I believe).

I currently use Lion on my personal MacBook Pro and have four desktops enabled. FYI, you can also enable full screen mode for some apps (like iTunes or iPhoto) and it counts as a 'space' or 'desktop'.
He was saying that there's no such thing in Windows 8. We know there is in Lion.

Mainly I dislike the removal of the today/this week/this month views in Finder, those having been replaced with the practically-worthless All My Files view. Supposedly their behavior can be replicated via Smart Folders, but I haven't found a way to get them to function the way they did in Snow Leopard.
Wow, that sounds very useful and I didn't even know it's not there anymore. :(

The one issue I had with Lion was slower performance on my Core 2 Duo Macbook. I noticed that Lion tended to run far slower on that machine than Snow Leopard did. This was with 3GB of RAM, mind you. I've upgraded to an MBP i7 with 8GB of RAM and Lion is quite snappy. With regards to features, I do think it is an upgrade over Snow Leopard overall although their are minor frustrating details. One example of such a minor detail is that in Snow Leopard, if you use Spotlight to access the Dictionary app, it's the first result. In Lion, it's not the first result *and* you can't set it to be. Trivial but stupid.

Back