OSX is grinding to a halt

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Thuleman, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Thuleman

Thuleman [H]ardness Supreme

I am not a Mac guy, I have no idea what I am looking at.
    I am at a remote location where there is no actual tech support of any kind. The Mac Book Pro of a colleague has been experiencing severe slow-downs over the past few days. Stuff doesn't highlight anymore, response is overall slow, the Internet connection speed is crawling.

My laptop (PC) works just fine when it's right next to his machine, there's no issue with the wireless infrastructure.

I am not even sure where to start looking. The user says that he didn't install anything weird as far as he can tell. and that it's been getting slower over the past few days. Any suggestions on where to even start looking for this problem?

2. Joe Average

Joe Average Ad Blocker - Banned

Might consider asking an Admin/Mod to move this to the Apple forum as that's where almost all Apple/Mac/OSX support gets the attention. Yes, OSX is an operating system but, even so... ;)

As for a suggestion, tell him to open the Utilities folder in Applications and then find Activity Monitor (should be the very first icon upper left as they're in alphabetical order) and run it a while to see what's going on. Look for processes that are consuming a lot of CPU time, or excessive RAM usage. It's not too different from Task Manager in some respects so you should be able to get some idea of what errant app or process could be dragging the machine's performance downward.