OSOM OV1 is the new phone from the team behind the Essential Phone

Yay. I look forward to this phone's fire sale. I had a good run with the Fire phone, then the Nextbit Robin, then the Essential phone (except for that time it refused to turn on or off until the battery fully drained, then it worked as normal)

I never bought the Essential 1. But it always intrigued me and seem like a good idea, but the hardware from what I read seem more like a beta, not a polished finished product.

But the OS was supposed to be very pixel like but with a few nice additions and had updates right on time monthly.

If this phone is priced right, it could be an interesting device in 2022.

I owned the PH-1. It was a pretty good phone with some significant weaknesses as well as an essentially (hah) useless gimmick. If not for Essential's founder's personal problems sinking the company, the PH-2 could have been very interesting.

With that said, I'm not sure what this phone could bring to the table at this point. The only niche I see on the Android side is a true compact flagship that's widely available in the North American market. Without the former founder's clout, I wonder if they would even be picked up by more than one carrier.

Pricing would be key for this Essential 2 phone to be successful.

Thing is, with the $599 price of the regular Pixel 6, that's a hard phone to beat for that price, why would I want this new OV1 over the P6 for more money? Better specs and hardware and stuff would have to be a given and unique design, but still, I don't think I'd touch it if it's like $600+.

If this new phone is $549, ok then I'm thinking about it, but if it's $800 or so, no way.

Pricing would be key for this Essential 2 phone to be successful.

Thing is, with the $599 price of the regular Pixel 6, that's a hard phone to beat for that price, why would I want this new OV1 over the P6 for more money? Better specs and hardware and stuff would have to be a given and unique design, but still, I don't think I'd touch it if it's like $600+.

If this new phone is $549, ok then I'm thinking about it, but if it's $800 or so, no way.
OV1 would probably have a flagship SoC. It’ll probably be at least $699 if not $799 msrp at launch. If the OV1 with flagship parts sells for $699, it would be a steal.

Pixel is overpriced for selling a phone with mid-tier SoC at $599. $499 ought to be its msrp.

Wasn't the Essential 1 known though for having pretty good monthly update support? Thought they did updates regularly month after month like clockwork, which was surprising for a new startup.

They could become sort of like the next OnePlus potentially. It would take several years but it could happen if they play their cards right.

Wasn't the Essential 1 known though for having pretty good monthly update support? Thought they did updates regularly month after month like clockwork, which was surprising for a new startup.

They could become sort of like the next OnePlus potentially. It would take several years but it could happen if they play their cards right.
Their updates often came before it even arrived on the Pixels

I owned the PH-1. It was a pretty good phone with some significant weaknesses as well as an essentially (hah) useless gimmick. If not for Essential's founder's personal problems sinking the company, the PH-2 could have been very interesting.

With that said, I'm not sure what this phone could bring to the table at this point. The only niche I see on the Android side is a true compact flagship that's widely available in the North American market. Without the former founder's clout, I wonder if they would even be picked up by more than one carrier.
I'd say the PH-1's not-quite-good-enough execution was mostly responsible for sinking the company, since it sold poorly from the get-go. Rubin's reported sexual harassment from his Google days was the nail in the proverbial coffin... I actually got an Essential Phone, but I wasn't going to get a follow-up with Rubin in charge no matter how good the phone might be.

I'd say the PH-1's not-quite-good-enough execution was mostly responsible for sinking the company, since it sold poorly from the get-go. Rubin's reported sexual harassment from his Google days was the nail in the proverbial coffin... I actually got an Essential Phone, but I wasn't going to get a follow-up with Rubin in charge no matter how good the phone might be.
Same here. I got 2 of them... But if Andy's scandal is the primary reason not to get the essential 2, just wait till I tell about the scandals from the heir to the throne of Samsung...

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-5... facto head of Samsung Electronics since 2014.

And this is just the tip of the iceberg!

Same here. I got 2 of them... But if Andy's scandal is the primary reason not to get the essential 2, just wait till I tell about the scandals from the heir to the throne of Samsung...

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-55674712#:~:text=Samsung heir Lee Jae Yong has been sentenced,de facto head of Samsung Electronics since 2014.

And this is just the tip of the iceberg!
I can certainly understand balking at Lee and his family. I'm perpetually amused at the people who claim Apple is evil incarnate, but promptly rush into the arms of Samsung... a company whose leadership and practices make Apple look squeaky clean by comparison. I suspect it's a combination of that irrational Anything But Apple mindset with a general lack of knowledge about Samsung.

I'm not as set against Lee and Samsung as I was with Rubin and Essential, but I think that's more due to the nature of their actions. Lee is part of a ruthless business family and a long history of chaebols; greed and a thirst for power aren't exactly surprising in business, and I know the courts and the company itself are striving to improve things. Rubin's sexual harassment rankles me both due to the sheer vileness (he even did it while cheating on his wife) and because he wasn't held accountable for his actions while helming Essential — he took a "hiatus" of about a month. I know most if not all of Essential's other employees were innocent, but I didn't want to reward Rubin's behavior, especially not when the size of the company meant he'd be rewarded more directly than Lee has been at Samsung.

With all the Pixel problems with every release, the fact you overlooked them speaks more about your biases. The current latest is no different with the atrociously bad fingerprint scanner and the ridiculously weak mid-range SoC that they insist on selling at flagship prices. Is it too hard for google not release a phone with a deal breaker every single time? If it was Apple or Samsung delivering a phone with absolute shit of a fingerprint scanner or using a SoC with bad performance selling at flagship prices, you'd be attacking them. So any other option is good in my book, especially an option from a group known to delivery quick updates. I welcome OV1 with open arms.

But the Pixel 6 line is not selling at "flagship prices" At $599 and $899, it's cheaper than the iPhone 13 Pro and 13 Pro Max, and cheaper than the S21 Plus and S21 Ultra, were sold for at launch.

I have both the Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 Pro, and absolutely zero issues, seriously, both phones work, and don't have any game changer problems. Phone calls work 100% perfectly, texting zero issues, surfing the web never a problem, GPS navigation works flawlessly, battery life is actually better than expected. The phone is very fluid and smooth operating.

I did turn off the fingerprint scanner though, after the first couple days, mostly because I hated that bright light that popped up every time, super annoying to see that every time. I also wish the display was FLAT and not curved edged.

Seriosuly if my Pixel had a big issue I will admit it, and dump it and go for a iPhone 13 Pro Max, but I don't see any major bugs.

My only problem was the PH-1 had a terrible camera, especially in low light situations. Other than that, I thought it was a great phone for the price I bought it at (~$400 BNIB from Amazon or something...I definitely wouldn't have paid full price). I never got into the magnetic snap on accessories, but the phone really didn't need it. It was fine the way it was and the ceramic body felt very solid.

With all the Pixel problems with every release, the fact you overlooked them speaks more about your biases. The current latest is no different with the atrociously bad fingerprint scanner and the ridiculously weak mid-range SoC that they insist on selling at flagship prices. Is it too hard for google not release a phone with a deal breaker every single time? If it was Apple or Samsung delivering a phone with absolute shit of a fingerprint scanner or using a SoC with bad performance selling at flagship prices, you'd be attacking them. So any other option is good in my book, especially an option from a group known to delivery quick updates. I welcome OV1 with open arms.
You make some valid points. While the SOC might seem disappointing, what can the SOC not handle in day to day task? I could care less about benchmarks... I will admit the December update they botched pretty badly... and the FPS someone should loose there job over. But by in large Google still makes the best flavor on Android with real actual useful features and hardware just seems to work and integrate seamlessly.

But the Pixel 6 line is not selling at "flagship prices" At $599 and $899, it's cheaper than the iPhone 13 Pro and 13 Pro Max, and cheaper than the S21 Plus and S21 Ultra, were sold for at launch.

I have both the Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 Pro, and absolutely zero issues, seriously, both phones work, and don't have any game changer problems. Phone calls work 100% perfectly, texting zero issues, surfing the web never a problem, GPS navigation works flawlessly, battery life is actually better than expected. The phone is very fluid and smooth operating.

I did turn off the fingerprint scanner though, after the first couple days, mostly because I hated that bright light that popped up every time, super annoying to see that every time. I also wish the display was FLAT and not curved edged.

Seriosuly if my Pixel had a big issue I will admit it, and dump it and go for a iPhone 13 Pro Max, but I don't see any major bugs.
At the time of release Pixel 6's release, what is the price of the Galaxy S21? The iPhone 13 mini uses a flagship SoC, and what is its price?

That's why I cannot recommend the pixel 6 at msrp to anyone. You're not getting the best value for the money. And Galaxy users can always use other launcher like the good old Nova Launcher, but honestly Samsung's Launcher isn't that bad anymore now there's enough ram to run everything. Camera wise, the pixel is still slightly behind both Samsung and Apple's according to dxomark. Its video, however, is terrible. Bad battery life, bad video camera, mid-range processing, ridiculously bad fingerprint scanner that even you decided to just disable... That's not what I would call good. Time and time again, Google has cut corners.

As for whether or not you actually need the processing in reference to V's comments, Samsung uses a flagship SoC and has a better battery life at the same cost (when the pixel 6 was released). Apple has a way more powerful SoC at nearly the same cost with a much better battery life (and for many people who traded in 2 years old iPhones, they were nearly free upgrades). Maybe you don't need the processing, but why not get more powerful ones at the same prices? You can easily tell that this SoC is terrible by playing a native game. I'm sure not going to pay a netbook at flagship laptop prices simply because of an OS...

Here's hoping OV1 will be a great near native option. Cause at this point I have more faith in OV1 to deliver a good device over Google at not cutting corners on the next release.

Back