OS X video codec support question?

dreamcast87

Limp Gawd
I'm going to buy a 1.83GHz MacBook Pro in the near future... i currently have a WD 320gb ATA100 hard drive in my pc with ogm, mkv, mpg4, h.264, divx and avi files which i plan to put in external enclosure and use it as external hard drive.

i'd like to know if the OS X supports these video formats natively or will i have to install third party software to play them?

if anyone has any advice or suggestions on this i'd greatly appreciately it?

also can anyone suggest an external enclosure from newegg?

VLC will have the codec for divx and avi files, in it. MP4 and H.264 are Apple codecs so if VLC won't play them iTunes and QuickTime certainly will. Ogm & mkv I don't know much about and I don't know if VLC will play them, its just a try and go. You will be happy with VLC just because it plays all sorts of video/music files so easily. If you want to try it out on your PC before going over to OSX there are Windows & Linux versions to.

Make sure and get the BETA version of the latest VLC Media Player, it supports Intel Macs. :) Works great on my 20" iMac CoreDuo.

Mac OS X with some third party software can play just about any video file, except Indeo. VLC handles most, but you could just install Flip4Mac, DivX component, etc, and play everything in QuickTime Player.

Flip4Mac is not universal binary yet. You have to install it under Rosetta and also run Quicktime under Rosetta to get WMV to play.

It's a PITA.

Back