OS X 10.4.10 + Firefox 2.0.0.4 Unicode fonts missing

Alienraptor

Weaksauce
I have a fairly fresh installation of Firefox 2.0.0.4 (no Extensions, simple preference changes like download folder and whatnot - no changes to font preferences) on a new MacBook Pro running OS X 10.4.10. The OS has not been modified significantly, and particularly, no changes have been made to any fonts and no fonts have been installed.

But for some reason, when I visit http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Phonetic_Alphabet, roughly half of the characters in each of the consonant and vowel charts are displayed as question marks. I have Googled this issue and found no useful information for this particular problem, and I have also posted on the Firefox support forum but I haven't gotten a useful response and I'm beginning to suspect it isn't Firefox. EDIT: See below

The page shows up fine on my WinXP desktop (in Firefox 2.0.0.4), and also on the Macs on my university campus (also running Firefox 2.0.0.4). It is only on the MBP that I have an issue. Looking at the Firefox preferences on the university's Macs, they are all using what appears to be default font prefs. Moreover, they are all fonts that come standard with OS X 10.4. Based on this and the types of FAQs and troubleshooting responses out there, I am quite sure I should not have to download new fonts to get fairly standard (that is, non-obscure) Unicode character support.

Given that, was there some Firefox configuration thing that I missed? Do I have a corrupt font? Or what is going on here? Thanks for any ideas you guys can come up with.

EDIT: Actually it must be Firefox because on the same computer, the page loads perfectly in Safari. Thus a corrupt font or other browser-independent problem can be ruled out. I am about to reinstall Firefox to see if that does it.

No luck so far. I haven't deliberately checked recently, opting instead simply to use Safari whenever something doesn't view properly, but I'm fairly sure it hasn't changed. It's pretty annoying and especially strange given that it can't be the browser (same browser works fine on other computers) and it can't be the OS (different browser works fine on the same computer).

I love technology.

Back