OS for 192 threads?!?!

fastgeek

[H]ard|DCOTM x4 aka "That Company"
OK, I have this 4P 8160 rig "Dream Killer" online, and used Manjaro (based on Arch), as it's what I've been happy with thus far; but it's only showing 128 of 192 threads/cores/whatever. Now maybe they're all really there, and it's just a bug, but before I leave this thing crunching away at NF, thought I'd ask for help from people who might know better than myself.

Skillz, Gilthanis, ChristianVirtual, pututu ... you four come to mind. Anyone else looking... I'd like to hear your thoughts, too.

Thanks!!

Something that's x86_64 I think. At least I think CentOS/REL can do 4096 I believe.

It seems like Arch variants should be able to do way more than 128+ threads, too, but something obviously isn't right.

I'm thinking about installing the latest Fedora and hoping it works better.

I do have ESXi 6.5 and, of course, Server 2016 available to me. Just trying to make this quick and easy. Do hate nuking an hours worth of crunching... but if all 192 threads can come online, it'll be worth the short term loss.

We have a quick and dirty CentOS guide that should work. It's based on Red Hat just like Fedora is.

It may very well be a BOINC limitation. I think the client can only go to like 128. Run a VM or two and see if the cores utilization goes up.

Ah yeah thats a good point. Where are you seeing 128 threads? The BOINC client or is the OS only reporting 128?

I am also going to assume that you already made and attempted a cc_config.xml file with the line:

<cc_config>
<options>
<ncpus>192</ncpus>
</options>
</cc_config>

The OS itself was only reporting 128 processors. Am installing CentOS now, since that's ultimately what will need to be on this box. Just that, for whatever reason, I don't like CentOS all that much. Most likely due to mainly using OpenSUSE / SLES... so it's not what I'm used to... so could be said dislike would carry over to Fedora and Red Hat, too. :p

Maximum CPUs (i.e. cores) supported by default:
Note: by 32-bit/64-bit we mean the common i386/x86_x64 architectures; PPC, ARM, etc. are not included.

12.04 LTS (and later):
  • Desktop/Server 32-bit: 8 cores/CPUs
  • Desktop/Server 64-bit: 256 cores/CPUs (but LiveCD supports 64 by default)
11.10 and below, including 10.04 LTS
  • Desktop/Server 32-bit: 8 cores/CPUs
  • Desktop 64-bit: 64 cores/CPUs
  • Server 64-bit: 256 cores/CPUs
How to find the maximum supported by your running kernel:
As @otus indicated, open a terminal with Ctrl-Alt-T, and type:

grep NR_CPUS /boot/config-`uname -r`

https://askubuntu.com/questions/158555/how-many-maximum-cpus-does-ubuntu-support-by-default

I'd normally use Ubuntu for something like this; however the latest version of the OS doesn't much like the graphics chip on these servers. All keyboard and mouse I/O is beyond awful. Typing is a nightmare, full of lag and repeated characters. Using the mouse is a few mm at a time. No idea WTF that is all about. Now guess I could use command line. Truth is, I haven't used BOINC that way yet and, honestly, this old dog is too over loaded to try and learn new tricks right now. :)

Yeah, installed Server 2016. In hindsight I really should've installed ESX 6.5 and loaded up three 64-thread Linux VMs. *sigh*

BTW, realize now I should've specified Linux as what I was after. One distro would boot from live media; but wouldn't boot from the server itself after install. CentOS installed, but the guide didn't work for me. Was really just a colossal bitch. :p

What part of the guide was broken so we can fix it?

Much easier ways now too - you can just add epel and install the latest client as a package in seconds.

I can't find the exact site I found it off of so what I did was slightly different, but it was fairly simple. Along the lines of:

yum install epel-release
yum install boinc-client

And then you can start the manager from a shortcut in the "start menu" just like Windows.

IIRC I did execute those commands EXT64 posted and it still didn't work. I'll wipe the system later, try again and will capture whatever goes wrong. I realize now that it could possibly be due to network restrictions... so will also try adding my proxy, or seeing if I can import the network certificate if/when it gives me trouble again.

Skillz, when I was using Manjaro it (boinc) would recognize all threads without any extra work. In the case of the quad 8867 box, it maxes out all 128 threads stock. For whatever reason Manjaro would only recognize 128 of 192 threads on the quad 8160. No idea why. If I were a Linux geek, am sure I could figure out whatever needed to be done to make the kernel see it; but, alas, I am not. :p

Okay good to know then.

I will be trying to get some Intel Phis to work with BOINC with all their cores here soon and wanted to make sure it wasn't a BOINC issue. It must be a Linux issue then.

What the heck is that?

Nevermind, I read it. Interesting.

fastgeek, I have not tried it at all, but would assume it allows for attaching more. The page only says it is set for those by default. I'm also guessing you may need to change user info if that is the case anyways.... But it looks interesting.

There are also these two other options I would love to test some day but it may be a long time before I can do that... https://hardforum.com/threads/non-h-dc-distros.1947293/ Notice the second one is based on ARCH Linux

Back