OS Driver conflictions with motherboard drivers?

Manick2005

n00b
I've been having blue screen errors lately with a motherboard and haven't yet found out what is causing it, but I am trying to eliminate as many possibilities as I can. So I have a general question to ask about motherboards. Can motherboards possibly experience major errors from downloading some up-to-date drivers for a certain onboard capability? From either windows updates, or downloaded drivers?

For example: SP3 update installs some device drivers (such as HD audio) which I should not need because I have onboard sound drivers that came with my motherboard, and my sound works just fine without them. It turns out, that three times now, this motherboard started experiencing major issues some time after updating to SP3.

The motherboard is an ABIT KN8 SLI (socket 939) which is something like 3-4 years old I think. I don't know if this is relevant or not, but ABIT stepped down from the motherboard business from what I heard so there are no updated drivers for it most likely that are different from the factory ones.

Also, if it turns out that I have driver incompatibility problems again, should I create a windows restore point to roll back to, or just uninstall them via "Remove/Add Programs"? I seemed to still have some issues even after using System Restore to roll back to the time before installing SP3, which is why I am asking.

Back