Orlando, FL Pulls Back on Testing Amazon's Facial Recognition

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
We told you a little over a month ago that Amazon was rolling out facial recognition systems to law enforcement for testing in Orlando, FL. Apparently the push back from civil liberties groups has gotten to be more than the Police Department can bear. It has now announced that it will no longer be testing the technology.

“Partnering with innovative companies to test new technology – while also ensuring we uphold privacy laws and in no way violate the rights of others – is critical to us as we work to further keep our community safe,” the city and the Orlando Police Department said in a joint statement provided to Floridapolitics.com on Monday.

Good! This would've simply been abused way too much compared to what little benefit it might actually yield. IIRC it wasnt just about safety but also about "offensive" behaviors. We dont need any nanny states...

Good! This would've simply been abused way too much compared to what little benefit it might actually yield. IIRC it wasnt just about safety but also about "offensive" behaviors. We dont need any nanny states...

I agree, we do not need any nanny states. I am all for kicking California to the curb. :)

I agree, we do not need any nanny states. I am all for kicking California to the curb. :)

I will second that...whos getting to push the plunger to slide it off into the ocean?

Let me buy some property along the fault lines first though....I want ocean front ;)

But unfortunately all the usual explosives are illegal in California, so we're going to have to go with watching it eat itself alive. Working good so far.

latest?cb=20100114051226.jpg

pretty soon you won't be able to go into ANY public establishment if you're an "enemy of the state".

I was playing around with Amazon's facial recognition when it first came out. I was not impressed with it at the time - realize it has likely improved since I tried it.
There are other vendors selling the service. Someone else will come to the rescue. Wouldn't be surprised if IBM is not involved - they bought a company called CopLink several years ago. This company had a cool app for cops that let police officers see crimes in the area and had facial scanning in it.
They did their facial recognition based on bone and cheek structure - probably didn't work as well as FB or Googles. It's been about 8-9 years since I looked at their app. It was also tied to a criminal database - was only mean to be used if you were apprehended and they took your mug shot.

So the old people pushed back?

I'm only half joking. There are alot of retired folk in Florida, who are relatively politically active according to statistics, and usually hate the idea of surveilance from what I've seen.

FTFA
The Florida city ended a pilot program last week after its contract with Amazon.com Inc to use its Rekognition service expired

So the program was ended.. after it had ended.. OH BOY !!

:rolleyes:

there was NOTHING in the article saying that now that the pilot is over.. they would not use it in official, none pilot testing, capacity. except now.. we do it quietly...

Back