Original DVD Screeners Widely Available On eBay

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
I thought that screeners were sent on nondescript media, but it turns out that they come with pretty nice packaging.

Internet pirates get all the blame, yet it’s pretty clear that although the industry doesn’t really want to talk about it, those closer to home are main source of the problem. To see the scale of the issue, one only has to turn to the world’s favorite online auction house. Known as a source for just about anything, it turns out that eBay is also a great place to buy DVD screeners, presumably being offloaded directly or indirectly by those who were expected to review them.

I get them legally every year, but they are water marked, so they'll always point back to the person who originally was suppose receive them.

Usually it's the assistance that end up fucking over their bosses by either uploading or selling them. Also a great way of never working in the film industry again.

I remember seeing one at goodwill, for the whole 10 yards. I kept that shit to myself because I knew it meant someones ass out there.

Sure it had cut scenes and previews that were not otherwise available but I have the decency to NOT list that on ebay.

Last edited:
A neighbor of mine is a member of SAG and handed me a stack of the latest DVD screeners from this Oscar season a few weeks ago, she wanted to watch them on her iPad and iPhone but didn't have an actual computer of any kind so I kinda sorta offered to assist with a transfer over. Steve Jobs, The Hateful Eight, The Big Short, a few others (I had already seen all of them), but yep the packaging is customized, all paper casing but laid out as though they were in retail packaging albeit in the paper/cardboard format, not plastic boxes. They all have specific instructions on the packaging that after viewing they're to be discarded, not sold, not given away, etc but obviously since a lot of them do appear on eBay and even craigslist it's not like anybody gives a shit about them after the Oscars are presented.

They're DVDs anyway, not like an HD copy ripped from a Blu-ray or anything which I doubt will ever happen. The Academy is planning to move towards a digital delivery methodology from what I understand, requiring members to log into the appropriate website using their credentials where IP addresses are recorded and all that jazz - it won't make one fucking bit of difference (pun intended) considering someone will end up leaking them as usual.

That's show business. ;)

Back