Original Crysis Coming to Consoles?

WorldExclusive

[H]F Junkie
via OCN
http://www.inquisitr.com/122423/crysis-for-xbox-360-rated-by-korean-ratings-board/

A new and interesting listing sneaked up on the Korean Ratings Board website today. According to the listing, Crysis is headed over to the Xbox 360, something that I was almost sure would never happen. In this case, I’d be glad to be wrong.

Considering that yesterday’s rating of Limbo turned out to be true, it looks like this has a good chance of turning out to be true as well. Whether it’s a direct port of the original Crysis is anyone’s guess, but that seems like the most likely scenario.

Going back to the original for consoles, kinda makes Crysis 2 storyline pointless huh? :rolleyes:
They could have started console gamers off with the original, then make a real sequel to Crysis 2 with the original characters and jungle environment.
Maybe retain CE2 while they're at it. CE3 doesn't hold up to the standard of CE2.

Crysis for consoles? *shudder*

The original's gameplay seems able to be converted to a console but I will always think of the original Crysis as PC only.

I'll find it funny if Crysis 1 comes out on consoles, it'll show that Crytek could have made open levels in Crysis 2 like they did in Crysis 1 but chose not to do so for whatever design reason, rather than it being a limitation of consoles like so many people bitch about.

I can't get enough of this video:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WJG14uLA3k"]YouTube - ‪CryEngine 2 vs CryEngine 3‬‏[/ame]

Crytek was pretty adamant Crysis on console wasn't possible.

Cevat Yerli and Crytek always lie. People act as if its something new with the relase of C2, but they were lying back when C1 was released. Its not good business practice on their part, but these days I dont trust anything they say or have said.

NEWS FLASH! PC games from 4 years ago look better than a current console equivelant for a console that's 6 years old. :p

Sadly, they created a new engine around that 6 year old console called CryEngine 3, to replace a 4 year old engine in CE2. ;)
When you think about it, if not for DX11, CE3 would be two years behind CE2. It shows when Crytek is reaching back to make an old games over again.

Sadly, they created a new engine around that 6 year old console called CryEngine 3, to replace a 4 year old engine in CE2. ;)
When you think about it, if not for DX11, CE3 would be two years behind CE2. It shows when Crytek is reaching back to make an old games over again.

I'd like to see some actual community made maps and mods before I judge CE3 itself, as all we've seen of CE3 so far has been what Crytek has put out themselves and the demos are all console based, we dont know how good CE3 actually is until we see some PC community made stuff.

If what they advertise about CE3, being able to develop simultaneously and see the results real time across PC, PS3 and Xbox360 and still produce pretty looking games (face it, Crysis 2 is a pretty good looking game), then I still think that's a pretty impressive engine, if not for the reason of producing the same effects as CE2 (which as I said above wont be known until people start playing with CE3 more).

I'd like to see some actual community made maps and mods before I judge CE3 itself, as all we've seen of CE3 so far has been what Crytek has put out themselves and the demos are all console based, we dont know how good CE3 actually is until we see some PC community made stuff.

If what they advertise about CE3, being able to develop simultaneously and see the results real time across PC, PS3 and Xbox360 and still produce pretty looking games (face it, Crysis 2 is a pretty good looking game), then I still think that's a pretty impressive engine, if not for the reason of producing the same effects as CE2 (which as I said above wont be known until people start playing with CE3 more).

CE3 is excellent when looking at from a multiplatform perspective. I think the engine is severely gimped by limited ram usage because of it. Yerli is begging MS and Sony to use 8GB RAM in the next consoles.
After the patch, the game became a memory hog. 8GB isn't need on CE2 in game.

Can't see it coming out for 360, if it did they'd have to absoloutely crucify the textures with compression, even the levels, would they be able to fit into memory without having multiple load points? It would be a shit experience compared to the original pc version.

Also for crysis 2, half the reason the story was "rebooted" was so console owners would know whats going on, if thats the case it would have made no sense for them not to continue the story directly from the original if this 360 version was in the works.

It is misleading to use the video to compare the capabilities of the engines by itself. In the conclusion it states that Cryengine 3 on the consoles is roughly equal to a mixture of medium/high settings for Cryengine 2 on the PC. The problem here is the console version is not depicting the highest settings the PC version of Cryengine 3 is capable of, even before the graphics upgrade patch. If you wanted to compare maximum capabilities you would have to run Cryengine 3 on a PC at max settings. All this video concludes is that Cryengine 3 on low/medium (whatever the equivalent on the PC is) is roughly the same as medium/high on Cryengine 2.

The lower resolution textures is a limitation of memory on the consoles, and highly unlikely due to a limitation of the engine itself, as evidenced by the graphics patch for the PC version.

Crytek was pretty adamant Crysis on console wasn't possible.

It wouldn't be possible to do it and still have a decent game that was worth playing,let alone pay for. But then again,looking at Crysis 2 I don't think that's something Crytek cares about anymore.

What he probably meant was, Crysis wasn't possible on consoles using Cryengine 2.

Cryengine 3 has the necessary optimizations to make it possible.

Console versions of Crysis 2 stream all the map data etc. On the PC the whole map is loaded into RAM at once.

It is misleading to use the video to compare the capabilities of the engines by itself. In the conclusion it states that Cryengine 3 on the consoles is roughly equal to a mixture of medium/high settings for Cryengine 2 on the PC. The problem here is the console version is not depicting the highest settings the PC version of Cryengine 3 is capable of, even before the graphics upgrade patch. If you wanted to compare maximum capabilities you would have to run Cryengine 3 on a PC at max settings. All this video concludes is that Cryengine 3 on low/medium (whatever the equivalent on the PC is) is roughly the same as medium/high on Cryengine 2.

The lower resolution textures is a limitation of memory on the consoles, and highly unlikely due to a limitation of the engine itself, as evidenced by the graphics patch for the PC version.

Good observation. The latest patch did increase ram usage thankfully, but unfortunately alot of the features from CE2 had to be patched in and some are still missing.
The issue here is, can Crytek make all three versions of the game simultaneously with the PC version maxed out?
It seems like they can't. Crytek has to make all three games identical then apply a patch, with will only polish the game for PC, not change it.

Crysis 2 needed completely different textures and art to equal the detail of the original Crysis.
Just turning up the resolution on the existing textures isn't going to make a huge difference.
The highest PC settings were enabled on CE3 for Crysis 2 and it still doesn't compare to the quality of the original.

I used the MaLDo HD Texture Mod which completely replaced a few textures.
If Crytek continues to use the same textures and features for all three platforms, whatever they make with CE3 for PC it will look average.

Back