Origin: Wing Commander 3 On The House

I remember playing this and WC4 back in the day. The use of fmv did a good job of augmenting the story.

Made me break the old ISO images I still have of the Windows 95 supporting version, Wing Commander Kilrathi Saga which includes Wing Commander 3. Plays just fine on Windows 8.1 x64.

Back in the Windows XP days I had to run it in a VM.

For some reason it scares me that I can run it native in Windows 8.1 now...

The Internet told me to hate Origin. Therefore, I refuse to play any Origin game.

Kidding!

I snagged that shit up with a quickness. FMV featuring Mark Hamill and giant Cat People? Who wouldn't want to play that?

"Break and attack" baby.

The Internet told me to hate Origin. Therefore, I refuse to play any Origin game.

I spent 6 months with Origin support trying to figure out why the games I purchased would not fully download and it was never solved. Finally told me it was my Windows install, even though we had the exact same problem on three Windows boxes, two with new Windows installs.

This is the game that finally got me to switch to an Intel PC from my Amiga 500, but that was many many moons ago...

Wing Commander II with speech accessory pack was the bee's knees for me: "Speak of your plans, not of your toys!!"...And if you shot at friendlys enough times: "Holy shit!! You're the traitor!", the first time ever hearing such language blaring from my computer headphones in a game before. Pretty damn good for 1991. That's the game they should make free, though I already have it as well. Also, does anyone else remember WC3 being referred to as "Eye of the Tiger" early on? I seem to recall seeing prelease boxes at Nobody Beats The Wiz with that title.

Also, does anyone else remember WC3 being referred to as "Eye of the Tiger" early on? I seem to recall seeing prelease boxes at Nobody Beats The Wiz with that title.
I don't, but I do remember Nobody Beats The Wiz as being awesome.

We were kinda low income as kids. My father ended up getting a settlement and took me there a few times to buy fancy electronics. It was...incredible.

Oh neat they're finally releasing a 20 year old game to the public for free!

Note: This is not a knock on Origin's system, but more a knock on how ridiculously long IP laws last for software. I mean the minimum requirements for this game was MS-DOS 5.0 for christ sake!

Note: This is not a knock on Origin's system, but more a knock on how ridiculously long IP laws last for software.
Wing Commander III's software and IP trademarks have expired?

Took the words right out of my mouth. Free is still too high of a price to pay if it means having to use Origin.

haters gonna hate.

i have never had an issue with origin and they keep throwing free games at me.

I skipped buying that game for some reason, snatched that game up second time around, and Mark Hamill how could I say no to a voice acting legend in the gaming industry, as well as the animation world?

haters gonna hate.

i have never had an issue with origin and they keep throwing free games at me.

Oh, god. Put that tired shtick away. You can make a point without having to dredge out low class bullshit catchphrases like a parrot.

Origin sucks because of the total lack of integration between it and the games it provides. What you download are first release installers and not the fully updated and packaged gamefiles.

I downloaded some of the free games on Origin before and EVERY SINGLE GAME required multiple updates before I could even play them. And when I loaded the game, even their lousy built in updater still needed to download more crap within the game itself.

It is the most inelegant and half-assed solution to online distribution.

Yea, Origin isn't very good. However, I do have it installed and I do like WC3.

You literally couldn't pay me to play this now. It was great 20 years ago, today not so much. Like literally, if you would give me a hundred bucks I wouldn't play it, got more important things to do.

Note: This is not a knock on Origin's system, but more a knock on how ridiculously long IP laws last for software. I mean the minimum requirements for this game was MS-DOS 5.0 for christ sake!

Copyrights last pretty much forever now. But that has nothing to do with EA's ability to give away one of their own games.

One of my all time favorites. I may have to dust it off and give it a go for old time sakes. I wonder if my Gravis Phoenix still works. LOL, if only modern computers still had game ports, or the USB game port adapters did not all suck.

Origin sucks because of the total lack of integration between it and the games it provides. What you download are first release installers and not the fully updated and packaged gamefiles.

I downloaded some of the free games on Origin before and EVERY SINGLE GAME required multiple updates before I could even play them. And when I loaded the game, even their lousy built in updater still needed to download more crap within the game itself.

It is the most inelegant and half-assed solution to online distribution.
Literally everything you just said applies to Steam as well.

Good Guy Valve does something, it's all praises and weird psudo-religious statements about their CEO being a deity. Scumbag EA does the exact same thing and it's incoherent hate and all-caps.

Literally everything you just said applies to Steam as well.

Good Guy Valve does something, it's all praises and weird psudo-religious statements about their CEO being a deity. Scumbag EA does the exact same thing and it's incoherent hate and all-caps.

No. When you buy a game and download the files, the files do not need to be updated further before you can play the game. It installs it for you and you are done.

Original literally sends you the ISO files and then forces you to manually install AND FULLY UPDATE it on top of that.

You are completely talking out of your ass.

That'd mean using Origin... so not free in my book. Not even close.

Owned it on the PS1. Classic! DAMN YOU HOBBS!:D
Can't remember if I owned 4. Played some of it IIRC.

why 3? why not Prophecy at lest that was kinda modern

I admit buying C&C4. Goddamn that was a terrible decision. Fuck EA for fucking up such a great genre.

I don't, but I do remember Nobody Beats The Wiz as being awesome.

We were kinda low income as kids. My father ended up getting a settlement and took me there a few times to buy fancy electronics. It was...incredible.

Wow. That was back in the days of "Fred-Rated" and "Cal and his dog spot"

I don't like Origin because it's always updating or always wanting my fucking attention about something.

STFU and manage games, I say !

Remember playing this on a 486DX2 66 MHz back in the day. Frame rates were bad but it was still playable.

My system locks up when I try to load WC3. I'm running Windows 8.1 64bit. Anyone else with the same issue? I was trying to show the game to my 10 yr old son.

2.png

LOL. Will it even run on a modern machine? :p

They are probably trying to dangle this as a reason for people to sign up for Origin, which I refuse to do.

Any game that requires an Origin account is a game that I won't play :p

Back