Origin too stupid to see VPN?

Eisenblut

[H]ard|Gawd
Does anyone else have this problem?

I use a 256-bit VPN when I am on newsgroups and wanted to play while it was downloading. Origin goes into offline mode thinking I have no internet connection whenever I am connected to the VPN.

Steam does not have this problem nor does any other program that I use.

Suggested are requested at a solution but it could be that Origin is just too stupid to use it.

Thanks.

^^^ :rolleyes:

The only thing I would know to try is to uncheck "use default gateway on remote network" under advanced IPv4 settings for your VPN connection. Complete shot in the dark though.

Contrary to my sarcastic post, I was looking into the issue. This link may be of interest to you. The response in the forum is direct from Origin.

Hello SunriseDriver,

Do you have this icon in your system tray (down near the clock etc.)?

http://s1085.photobucket.com/albums/j435/NinotheRobot/

This would indicate that you are using a VPN or Proxy connection which Origin does not properly support at this time.

If this is not the case and you do not see this icon, please post some more details about your network setup.

Regards,

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 07/27/2011 13:40:06

It sounds like Origin does not support VPN yet.

How convenient that a method for getting around regional price-fixing is not "supported" by Origin :rolleyes:.

Alright, thanks. I just wanted to play something while I was downloading (the only time the VPN is active). Grats to the first two responses that achieved being both useless and missing the point. I'll just not play something in Origin if the situation arises again.

Hello Guys

I just figured out the solution for this origin vpn issue. I had to play bf3 no matter what, but this origin issue won't letting me to play!!!
So do what my instructions says, i am finding users to help with my solution who are still suffering from this issue.

First open up cmd with admin rights.(make sure your vpn connection is connected)
Then type route print -4
now don't confuse with Interface list heading, just come to IPv4 route table heading.
Now under Ipv4 route table look for 2nd entry under Gateway you will see your vpn gateway IP address, something like xxx.xx.x.x (x corresponds to a digit)
Just note that IP address in some place. Now come to control panel then network and sharing center, on the left side click on change adapter settings or just directly go to network connections. Find your tap adapter which is currently your vpn using (it would be something like tap win32 and it will show unidentified network on it), right click on that tap adapter then click on properties, scroll down until you find Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and double click on it. Now you will see Default gateway field is empty, Now type the gateway IP you noted from the cmd to this field and click ok and ok. Now open origin and wowooo its working!!!!

This method is the only thing worked for me!!! The reason origin is not working by default settings is that it is unable to detect network connectivity on an unidentified network adapter, but after adding the default gateway to it, it become identified and Identified network is all origin need to work.
If the above method works for you than plz share this with others too.

OMFG !!! awesome it worked for me....THANKS A LOT KRAHUL44, i hate stupid origin

Hello Guys

I just figured out the solution for this origin vpn issue. I had to play bf3 no matter what, but this origin issue won't letting me to play!!!
So do what my instructions says, i am finding users to help with my solution who are still suffering from this issue.

First open up cmd with admin rights.(make sure your vpn connection is connected)
Then type route print -4
now don't confuse with Interface list heading, just come to IPv4 route table heading.
Now under Ipv4 route table look for 2nd entry under Gateway you will see your vpn gateway IP address, something like xxx.xx.x.x (x corresponds to a digit)
Just note that IP address in some place. Now come to control panel then network and sharing center, on the left side click on change adapter settings or just directly go to network connections. Find your tap adapter which is currently your vpn using (it would be something like tap win32 and it will show unidentified network on it), right click on that tap adapter then click on properties, scroll down until you find Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and double click on it. Now you will see Default gateway field is empty, Now type the gateway IP you noted from the cmd to this field and click ok and ok. Now open origin and wowooo its working!!!!

This method is the only thing worked for me!!! The reason origin is not working by default settings is that it is unable to detect network connectivity on an unidentified network adapter, but after adding the default gateway to it, it become identified and Identified network is all origin need to work.
If the above method works for you than plz share this with others too.

Should report that to them. App is still in beta to just an fyi.

How convenient that a method for getting around regional price-fixing is not "supported" by Origin :rolleyes:.

They could just do it the Steam way and base their regional pricing on both IP AND credit card info so even if you're travelling you have to pay your home country price :p

Sounds like Origin is working good. Running high encryption VPN tunnels to mask and hide your newsgroup downloads or to acquire regional pricing is something that most businesses frown upon and exceptions aside are usually used for pirating.

Uncheck the option to use default gateway on remote network, it may be that its trying to filter all your traffic through that VPN connection.

Edit: sorry saw you already fixed it. Yeah, the tunnel probably doesnt allow internet traffic over port 80 thus the problem, we have similar issues at our office at times as we dont allow port 80 traffic over VPN. I dont know if I would say thats EA/Origins fault.

Back