Origin PC CEO: Steam Machines "Pretty Much Dead"

I'm surprised that boutique retailers like Origin have not tried to setup an up-sale on their SFF units to automatically launch into Big Picture mode and bundle a controller with the unit.

Been rockin' a living room PC for years and there's never been a better time to do it. A single HDMI cable solution and good wireless devices make life much easier.

Desktop linux was a weird idea 10 years ago. Ubuntu was just coming out and everyone was mostly confused. People had been running Arch, Debian, Mandrake, Fedora, etc. distros and desktop linux was still in the realm of the ponytails and goatees crowd.

There were essentially no games aside from tux racer and maybe janky quake ports available.

There's no sense of history here, is there? I don't think this needs to or should happen overnight. 1-2 years is not a lot of time for how far things have come in linux gaming. Having hardware acceleration at all in the normal desktop UI along with linux that's pretty widely supported is a huge accomplishment considering where compiz and other compositing layers were a while ago.

Linux gaming is awesome if you have a long weekend to install the game and actually get it to work by the end of day three.

In short: Linux gaming is like being circumcised with an assault rifle.

Messy.

I don't know man. Steam on Linux works exactly like Steam on Windows for me.

Click the title, it downloads, installs and just works. At least for the titles I have tried. (Portal, Portal 2 and Civ5)

Civ5 had slightly lower graphics quality than in Windows, but otherwise everything was the same.

So, steam for Linux works just fine, and is not difficult to install.

SteamOS is still in beta, we will see how it turns out when final.

I'd be more concerned about title availability and poor Linux ports than difficulty of use.

Linux is easy these days. My 7 year old stepson uses a Linux Mint desktop with steam on it I built for him.

So much hate for something different...if they would have released it 6 months ago people would have bitched it wasn't ready...6 months from now people will bitch it took to long. Fucking whiners. :)

Until one ships, there is no product. They hyped it up then backed away. I'll admit to having lost interest and consider it vaporware at this point. I'd like to see it come back, but have been around the block a few times...not all good ideas make it.

I'm sure the Origin Client Lead Manager will tell you the Steam Client is so dead and Origin is where its at. The Burger King CEO will tell you McDonald's is so dead, BK is where its at.

WTF are you talking about? So many of you are too stupid to know the difference between EA Origin and Origin PC?

You do not belong at [H]. Go to Gamespot.

WTF are you talking about? So many of you are too stupid to know the difference between EA Origin and Origin PC?

forest-whitaker-eye.jpg

Until one ships, there is no product. They hyped it up then backed away. I'll admit to having lost interest and consider it vaporware at this point. I'd like to see it come back, but have been around the block a few times...not all good ideas make it.

I think that's the big problem now. It's extremely difficult to maintain interest in something that was announced years ago with still nothing on the market. Valve probably should have been a lot lower key at the beginning but I doubt they were thinking that this kind of lead time was going to occur.

The problem when it's released will be with all of this time gone by the expectations are going to be higher.

Most people on here don't buy pre-built machines.

Why would we be familiar with a PC OEM when we build our own?

It's an easy mistake to make. I didn't, but that's just out of luck, when I read Origin PC, I also assumed it was what is left (if anything) of the Games Division responible for such titles as Wing Commander...

The fact that it could be something else never even entered my mind. Who knew there was a PC OEM named Origin...

While I prefer being all-inclusive, I would suggest that if anyone doesn't belong on here, it is people who buy pre-built systems :p

Zarathustra[H];1041344914 said:
Most people on here don't buy pre-built machines.

Why would we be familiar with a PC OEM when we build our own?

It's an easy mistake to make. I didn't, but that's just out of luck, when I read Origin PC, I also assumed it was what is left (if anything) of the Games Division responible for such titles as Wing Commander...

The fact that it could be something else never even entered my mind. Who knew there was a PC OEM named Origin...

While I prefer being all-inclusive, I would suggest that if anyone doesn't belong on here, it is people who buy pre-built systems :p

Anyone who knows anything would. I know more about DIY building than you I bet ;) And I know about Origin PC.

Would love to debate more but I have to start packing builds here at CES. Will check in later.

Anyone who knows anything would. I know more about DIY building than you I bet ;) And I know about Origin PC.

Odd. Why? How could OEM built systems possibly have any relevance to most people on here?

A quick google search shows that there are a ton of little boutique custom builders I never knew about.

I - of course - have heard of the big guys (Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc.) but of the small builders, the only one I had heard of was MainGear, and that's only because they had that custom 180mm AIO rad a while back.

Zarathustra[H];1041345005 said:
Odd. Why? How could OEM built systems possibly have any relevance to most people on here?

A quick google search shows that there are a ton of little boutique custom builders I never knew about.

I - of course - have heard of the big guys (Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc.) but of the small builders, the only one I had heard of was MainGear, and that's only because they had that custom 180mm AIO rad a while back.

Orign PC was founded by three senior execs who left Alienware after it was bought by Dell years ago. They started small but are not small now (in relative terms granted).

If you read the front page of H I am sure you have read about Origin PC or if you read tech news. I designed and built this for them years ago and also I built the Monster Energy Drink PC that was just given way for them. http://www.brightsideofnews.com/2010/09/07/convergence-is-everything-big-o-eats-a-console/

This is not EA Origin. This is Origin PC, a boutique PC builder company.

Well then, Origin PC and EA Origin have a lot of lawsuits to talk about. Cause that is confusing as Steam PC.

That's a wholenother conflict of interest right there. Because a lot of PC gaming system builders are drooling for SteamOS to be finished. People like us don't buy pre-builts, but SteamOS was made for pre-builts. If you want to game on Steam Linux, you install your favorite distro and have at it.

The problem with companies like "Origin PC" is that they build over priced computers for gamers. Regular PC is $700. GAMER PC now $1800, with free red LED lights included. I can tell you that's not what Valve wants out of a Steam Machine. That was the problem when Steam Machines were originally released, in that everyone was releasing Steam Machines at hugely inflated prices. Valve wants something to compete with PS4 and Xbone in price, not a desktop gaming PC costing nearly $2k.

This is like having Alienware come out and saying Steam Machine is dead, when everyone thinks Alienware is dead.

This has nothing to do with EA. Origin PC is a boutique OEM.

lol - nice way to look stupid

That is pretty funny DarthBeavis, you tell me I look stupid yet you said the exact same thing I said multiple times later.

are you stupid? Origin PC is a boutique PC maker. Of course they are making their own Origin PC.

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/2010/09/07/convergence-is-everything-big-o-eats-a-console/

So I'm pretty sure I know who is looking stupid here now.

Well then, Origin PC and EA Origin have a lot of lawsuits to talk about. Cause that is confusing as Steam PC.

That's a wholenother conflict of interest right there. Because a lot of PC gaming system builders are drooling for SteamOS to be finished. People like us don't buy pre-builts, but SteamOS was made for pre-builts. If you want to game on Steam Linux, you install your favorite distro and have at it.

The problem with companies like "Origin PC" is that they build over priced computers for gamers. Regular PC is $700. GAMER PC now $1800, with free red LED lights included. I can tell you that's not what Valve wants out of a Steam Machine. That was the problem when Steam Machines were originally released, in that everyone was releasing Steam Machines at hugely inflated prices. Valve wants something to compete with PS4 and Xbone in price, not a desktop gaming PC costing nearly $2k.

This is like having Alienware come out and saying Steam Machine is dead, when everyone thinks Alienware is dead.

Origin PC predates EA Origin ;) Origin PC is saying they will not sell Steam systems or at least that they think the platform is no longer viable. They said instead living room PCS will do fine.

That is pretty funny DarthBeavis, you tell me I look stupid yet you said the exact same thing I said multiple times later.

So I'm pretty sure I know who is looking stupid here now.

I am agreeing with you - the problem is the forums do not allow multiple nested quotes. think about it

Origin PC predates EA Origin ;) Origin PC is saying they will not sell Steam systems or at least that they think the platform is no longer viable. They said instead living room PCS will do fine.

And Origin Systems (which I was thinking of) predates them both by two and a half decades :p

Zarathustra[H];1041345054 said:
And Origin Systems (which I was thinking of) predates them both by two and a half decades :p

love that - blast from the past!

Good one

but current with the new game

Orign PC was founded by three senior execs who left Alienware after it was bought by Dell years ago. They started small but are not small now (in relative terms granted).

If you read the front page of H I am sure you have read about Origin PC or if you read tech news. I designed and built this for them years ago and also I built the Monster Energy Drink PC that was just given way for them. http://www.brightsideofnews.com/2010/09/07/convergence-is-everything-big-o-eats-a-console/

Well then, that's why you know about them. You built them a Target branded PC Mod :D

I read the [H] daily and have since its inception. I don't read every article though. (I am not unemployed). I skip to the ones that are interesting. OEM PC builders are not very interesting to me.

Zarathustra[H];1041345093 said:
Well then, that's why you know about them. You built them a Target branded PC Mod :D

I read the [H] daily and have since its inception. I don't read every article though. (I am not unemployed). I skip to the ones that are interesting. OEM PC builders are not very interesting to me.

I got heavily into modding after buying an Alienware ALX in the early 2000s (been building rigs since 286 days) then finding it sucked in many ways so I started modding starting with the water-cooling. As a pro modder I keep an eye out for what the system integrators are doing as I have to stay on the cutting edge - granted they adopt much of what pro modders like I do. Two-way street.

Called it! I said from the start that trying to make a PC into a console was defeating the purpose of both. It was a pants-on-head retarded idea.

Called it! I said from the start that trying to make a PC into a console was defeating the purpose of both. It was a pants-on-head retarded idea.

Why don't we have edit buttons? Well, anyway, I'm an idiot and posted based on the title before I read the whole thing. It's an extremely misleading title. :/ Apparently it's just the name that's dead, not the actual steam machines. I still say they're going to fail hard though. Mark my words.

I got heavily into modding after buying an Alienware ALX in the early 2000s (been building rigs since 286 days) then finding it sucked in many ways so I started modding starting with the water-cooling. As a pro modder I keep an eye out for what the system integrators are doing as I have to stay on the cutting edge - granted they adopt much of what pro modders like I do. Two-way street.

Been a DIY:er since the 286 days as well, but I never got into appearance mods. I always preferred my cases to be as subtle and industrial as possible (just not that awful old grey/beige)

So I chop things and add parts to increase performance, or fit something in a case it wasn't designed for, but everything else is simple black, no case window, and apart from power and HDD led, no lighting at all.

In the market for a new case, and I am considering modding a nice subtle Cooler Master N600, by hanging a gargantuan Phobya 1260 rad on its door. :p

I love that basic black look. Reminds me of the old IBM pedestal servers. Nice subtle aesthetic.

And they are correct. But don't dismiss Steam Machines just yet. Origin PC has no problem including Windows with their $2k PCs. SteamOS is for $500 or greater PCs for people who want the console experience without the headache and high price. Gaming PC on the TV are unaffected with or without SteamOS.

BTW metro redux is a lot faster on Ubuntu. Just saying.Ubuntu 14.10 VS Windows 8.1 : Metro Last Light http://youtu.be/Eab2UI1Iq2w

Zarathustra[H];1041345196 said:
Been a DIY:er since the 286 days as well, but I never got into appearance mods. I always preferred my cases to be as subtle and industrial as possible (just not that awful old grey/beige)

So I chop things and add parts to increase performance, or fit something in a case it wasn't designed for, but everything else is simple black, no case window, and apart from power and HDD led, no lighting at all.

In the market for a new case, and I am considering modding a nice subtle Cooler Master N600, by hanging a gargantuan Phobya 1260 rad on its door. :p

I love that basic black look. Reminds me of the old IBM pedestal servers. Nice subtle aesthetic.
please link me pix to build logs - would love to see it

Nice to meet another old schooler . . . .

And they are correct. But don't dismiss Steam Machines just yet. Origin PC has no problem including Windows with their $2k PCs. SteamOS is for $500 or greater PCs for people who want the console experience without the headache and high price. Gaming PC on the TV are unaffected with or without SteamOS.

BTW metro redux is a lot faster on Ubuntu. Just saying.Ubuntu 14.10 VS Windows 8.1 : Metro Last Light http://youtu.be/Eab2UI1Iq2w

Depends on the TV . . .4k means a higher end system (not 500 bucks) at least as of today. I am working on a living room PC for the Vanilla Ice Project this season . . .in addition to the gaming room we are doing

Back