Origin PC CEO: Steam Machines "Pretty Much Dead"

Yet consoles seem to do just fine with getting developers to make new games for their newly launched consoles.

Steam Machines haven't even been released yet and they've already got over 1600 "games" that are available when it does launch.

Xbox and PlayStation are household names. Steambox not so much. And the Steambox really isn't a console, it's a PC. And that catalog of 1600 games aren't exactly the newest or biggest titles out there.

Right. When you buy a new console in nearly all circumstances you're unable to play any previous generation games on it.

The problem with a Steambox is kind of the reverse though, you can't play current generation games on it. Well, SteamOS for now.

Right. When you buy a new console in nearly all circumstances you're unable to play any previous generation games on it. The exception is only with the few consoles that have had backwards compatibility. Even those consoles haven't had a 100% success rate with playing previous generation games and they've sometimes not even lasted the next generations consoles entire life. IE: After the first revision that backwards compatibility gets removed or severely limited until it's eventually removed.

You guys do realize the Steam Machine hasn't even been launched yet, correct? Games that will be targeted towards it will be pushed as such. Saying that you're only able to play 17% of titles available to it is ridiculous. You'll be able to play 100% of the games available to it.

Your argument does hold water when you talk about new console releases.

I still think Linux hurts the "Official" Steam Machines in the end, as its a HUGE compromise when you look at all the game you cant play simply because you dont have Windows.

The $100 (actually less because of OEM prices) for Windows enabling the ability to access 100% of the steam library is well worth it.

Xbox and PlayStation are household names. Steambox not so much. And the Steambox really isn't a console, it's a PC. And that catalog of 1600 games aren't exactly the newest or biggest titles out there.

So you think Xbox and PlayStation started on top? At one point they were the new kids on the block with powerhouses Nintendo and Sega ruling the console market. Many other consoles tried to compete with them in the past, but failed.

Steam Box isn't trying to be a console. It's trying to make people who don't know how to custom build a gaming PC to be able to buy a ready to go box to play PC games.

Consoles are so successful because you buy them and they work. The Steam Box is trying to close the gap between a traditional PC and a Console, by allowing you to play PC games on a platform that you can easily afford to put in your home.

That catalog of 1600 games is by far a larger selection than the Xbox One, Playstation 4 and Nintendo Wii U combined.

The problem with a Steambox is kind of the reverse though, you can't play current generation games on it. Well, SteamOS for now.

At one point you couldn't play current generation on the original Xbox or Playstation.

God forbid they broke convention and status quo and tried something new. The controller differentiating itself from other consoles is just something people expect of a console - part of its personality.

Don't confuse my statement with the idea of doing it RIGHT and in a timely manner. It is all about execution and Valve did not execute the controller program correctly. And I know that for a fact.

Your argument does hold water when you talk about new console releases.

I still think Linux hurts the "Official" Steam Machines in the end, as its a HUGE compromise when you look at all the game you cant play simply because you dont have Windows.

The $100 (actually less because of OEM prices) for Windows enabling the ability to access 100% of the steam library is well worth it.

Look at all the games you can't play on the XBO, PS4 or Wii U that are available on the PS3, 360 or Wii... As those new consoles end up in more homes they'll start to grow a larger library of games. Why do you think the Steam Machine will be any different?

It might have been better to launch the Steam Machine concept with a regular Xbox pad or something like it and work on the controller on the side, but hindsight is always 20/20. What would you have done differently?

The Alienware Windows based Steam living room PCs are coming with Xbox controllers.

Valve killed it with there Steam Home Streaming crap. It was an awful idea anyways. Don't want to use Linux for gaming.

Has anyone even used SteamOS? It's a pile of shit makes me hate Linux even more.

Valve killed it with there Steam Home Streaming crap. It was an awful idea anyways. Don't want to use Linux for gaming.
Steam Home Streaming is actually an important feature for the SteamOS because it allows you to play Windows games on the Steambox by streaming them from your primary gaming PC.

Mind you that Origin CEO is basically saying STFU we aren't supporting Linux. They're feeling the pressure but they don't wanna port a bunch of their games to Linux. Especially when it won't increase sales and they'd still have to work with Valve with their SteamBox's. As shitty as Origin is you need them on Linux. Half of everyone games is from EA unfortunately.

This has nothing to do with EA. Origin PC is a boutique OEM.

At one point you couldn't play current generation on the original Xbox or Playstation.

There's just so many things that I don't see clear answers to. Microsoft and Sony have spent how much promoting their consoles? Valve isn't going to spend that kind of money promoting something that generates zero revenue for them. And without Valve ponying up bucks, I don't see OEMs doing it either. Secondly, there's always a platform that plays every game on Steam. What's the point of a new platform that doesn't even do what the current and by far more popular Steam platform does?

Beyond hardcore anti-Microsoft folks, I just don't see who would be interested in a Steambox. I'm not saying it's a bad a idea, I just don't know why it's a particularly good one though.

There's just so many things that I don't see clear answers to. Microsoft and Sony have spent how much promoting their consoles? Valve isn't going to spend that kind of money promoting something that generates zero revenue for them. And without Valve ponying up bucks, I don't see OEMs doing it either. Secondly, there's always a platform that plays every game on Steam. What's the point of a new platform that doesn't even do what the current and by far more popular Steam platform does?

Beyond hardcore anti-Microsoft folks, I just don't see who would be interested in a Steambox. I'm not saying it's a bad a idea, I just don't know why it's a particularly good one though.

The Steam Box hasn't even been launched. How do you know how much money Valve is going to spend promoting it? We're talking about it now and it's making headlines. So you're saying Valve hasn't spent any money on that? Guess they're doing something right.

The Steam Box isn't really targeted towards you nor I. In fact, it's probably not targeted towards majority of the members on this forum. Most all of us have a gaming capable PC that probably run Windows with large Steam libraries already.

This is targeted towards the "console" gamer that wants to play PC games, but can't afford a proper gaming rig, doesn't know how to make them or knows virtually nothing about them. Most gamers want a plug and play solution to gaming. They don't think the PC has that ability for whatever reason. I know a lot of people who think PC gaming is a complicated mess and wouldn't bother with it.

One of the hardest things about selling a new "console" is having a large library available for the end user to play along with cost. If the Steam Box is going to compete with consoles then it should have a price for entry similar to a current generation console and we all know we wont be paying a monthly/yearly online subscription to have them and the games are a lot less to buy. Who wouldn't want that? We, the PC gamer, already have it.

I want the steam box to succeed... if it means more games can come to the pc. I don't know if there is any correlations for that though. Since, the only thing I really know of it is that it's linux based? and it has an odd trackpad controller.

This is targeted towards the "console" gamer that wants to play PC games, but can't afford a proper gaming rig, doesn't know how to make them or knows virtually nothing about them.
A console gamer who doesn't know jack shit about PCs is going to use...Linux?

The Steam Box hasn't even been launched. How do you know how much money Valve is going to spend promoting it? We're talking about it now and it's making headlines. So you're saying Valve hasn't spent any money on that? Guess they're doing something right.

Valve won't sell SteamBoxes, that's up to OEMs. Why would they spend a ton of money they don't sell and make zero dollars per sale on? Loss leader, maybe. But not on the scale of the Xbox or PS level. Loss leader is one thing and a money pit is another.

This is targeted towards the "console" gamer that wants to play PC games, but can't afford a proper gaming rig, doesn't know how to make them or knows virtually nothing about them. Most gamers want a plug and play solution to gaming. They don't think the PC has that ability for whatever reason. I know a lot of people who think PC gaming is a complicated mess and wouldn't bother with it.

And I can see the point to simple living room PC solutions. But again nothing that doesn't already exist.

One of the hardest things about selling a new "console" is having a large library available for the end user to play along with cost. If the Steam Box is going to compete with consoles then it should have a price for entry similar to a current generation console and we all know we wont be paying a monthly/yearly online subscription to have them and the games are a lot less to buy. Who wouldn't want that? We, the PC gamer, already have it.

But in the console space, it's not so much about having zillions of games but the right ones. However this goes for Valve it's not going to be easy and unless there's just something pretty awesome that the Steamboxes do that existing solutions don't, it's going to be difficult to generate excitement for the device.

Uh...

http://store.steampowered.com/search/?os=linux

I see 66 PAGES of games available on SteamOS/Linux.

I think you might want to refine your statement.

You're missing the point. I use Mint daily with my laptop and I play a lot of games on it. Mostly for testing. But all it takes is one game that I like to not exist on my laptop, then it turns me off. It's the reason why Mint isn't on my desktop yet.

For me games like Dark Souls 2 and Skyrim are missing from Linux and turns me away from installing Linux as my daily driver. It maybe different for everyone else but there's going to be a game that you want to play that won't work.

BTW Origin on Wine SSSSUUUCCKKKS! Gotta patch this QT5Netork.dll just to be able to download the games. Even still, Mass Effect doesn't properly. Game is slow for a machine that more than meets its system requirements. Even with something like Gallium-Nine which essentially doubles my fps, it's still too slow and now a bit buggy in graphics cause Gallium-Nine isn't a complete implementation of DX9 for Linux.

The thing is though regardless if the game runs on Windows or Linux, the money made is the same. Valve isn't going to make any money from SteamBoxes. So I don't see how releasing a game that probably isn't the title it used to be for Linux only would make economic sense for Valve.
Valve wants to expand it's Steam service to people who just wanna game on the TV. It doesn't make them more money directly, but it does in the long run. They basically want to convert console owners to PC gamers. This is a step in the right direction by giving console gamers that easy setup while offering them the unbelievable world of PC gaming.

Secondly, there's always a platform that plays every game on Steam. What's the point of a new platform that doesn't even do what the current and by far more popular Steam platform does?

Because Windows sucks and it's your only choice. Do you like having only one choice? I don't like having only one OS choice to play games. It certainly isn't going to be Mac OS X. If it wasn't for my games I would format my drive and install Linux Mint. It works so damn well.

Also Microsoft betrayed PC gamers. Xbox isn't doing PC gamers any favors. If the Xbox One fails then Microsoft could turn their attention to PC gaming, and we don't want that. They'll screw it up. That's why I don't want the Xbox One to fail. Just to keep Microsoft far away from PC gaming. At least until SteamBox is released.

The desire to correct perceived grievances against MS isn't going to motivate console sales. That's pretty much all the Steam Machine evangelists have.

Buy this because MS is the devil.

The desire to correct perceived grievances against MS isn't going to motivate console sales. That's pretty much all the Steam Machine evangelists have.

Buy this because MS is the devil.
In fairness, a lot has changed at Microsoft since Valve announced the Steam Machines idea. Back when they were announced they made a lot more sense. They still make financial sense for Valve if they take off, but I think that is increasingly unlikely.

You do realize that Android is based heavily on Linux and millions upon millions of people who don't know jack shit about a PC use it just fine. So what is your point again?

You're missing the point. I use Mint daily with my laptop and I play a lot of games on it. Mostly for testing. But all it takes is one game that I like to not exist on my laptop, then it turns me off. It's the reason why Mint isn't on my desktop yet.

For me games like Dark Souls 2 and Skyrim are missing from Linux and turns me away from installing Linux as my daily driver. It maybe different for everyone else but there's going to be a game that you want to play that won't work.

BTW Origin on Wine SSSSUUUCCKKKS! Gotta patch this QT5Netork.dll just to be able to download the games. Even still, Mass Effect doesn't properly. Game is slow for a machine that more than meets its system requirements. Even with something like Gallium-Nine which essentially doubles my fps, it's still too slow and now a bit buggy in graphics cause Gallium-Nine isn't a complete implementation of DX9 for Linux.

No, you're not getting the point apparently.

Steam Box isn't for you. Period. Just because YOU wouldn't buy it doesn't mean someone else out there wont either. I have little to no use for a Steam Box as I already have an HTPC that runs Windows w/ Steam and other programs just fine. Just like you, I'm not a typical user.

So do you own a PS3, PS4, 360, or any other console that has games you want to play but can't on the PC? Same concept man. Many people own more than one console and those games are on other console(s). It wasn't until recently that Dark Souls got ported to the PC/Steam. What did you do before that?

Have you tried Steam's Streaming abilities on cross operating system? Streaming a Windows based game on Linux? I have streamed Windows to Windows and it worked a lot better than I had imagined.

Because Windows sucks and it's your only choice. Do you like having only one choice? I don't like having only one OS choice to play games. It certainly isn't going to be Mac OS X. If it wasn't for my games I would format my drive and install Linux Mint. It works so damn well.

All I am saying is that what's the point of a solution that doesn't bring anything new to the table. And as much as Windows may suck, it's by FAR the best supported computing platform outside of pure mobile.

As I've said before, the base demo for Steamboxes are the anti-Microsoft crowd. Nothing wrong with that. But for Steamboxes to do well it's going to need a lot more than this base and I just don't see from where those users are going to come. Simply because besides not running Windows, there's nothing new here. Not only nothing new, it doesn't do what the major desktop OS already does.

Nothing new hasn't stopped Apple from reinventing the wheel. Just sayin'.

Honest question - are Skillz and DPI the same person?

Honest question 2 - are they both Gabe?

Kyle don't even try. Steam/Valve fanboyism is much stronger than red, green or blue crowd.

You do realize that Android is based heavily on Linux and millions upon millions of people who don't know jack shit about a PC use it just fine. So what is your point again?
Are you seriously comparing desktop Linux to Android?

You heard it here first folks. Console gamers who don't know jack shit about PCs are going to have no difficulty in moving to Linux because Android.

Console gamers with PS4's are going to use... FreeBSD?

Ofcourse not. And neither will they have to care that Steam branded living room console is running some flavor of linux under the hood. That's Valve's goal.

All I am saying is that what's the point of a solution that doesn't bring anything new to the table. And as much as Windows may suck, it's by FAR the best supported computing platform outside of pure mobile.

As I've said before, the base demo for Steamboxes are the anti-Microsoft crowd. Nothing wrong with that. But for Steamboxes to do well it's going to need a lot more than this base and I just don't see from where those users are going to come. Simply because besides not running Windows, there's nothing new here. Not only nothing new, it doesn't do what the major desktop OS already does.

Are you seriously still having trouble understanding that its not attempting to be a DESKTOP REPLACEMENT

Wait a minute. Anyone miss this quote?

Origin has a new, high-end living room PC of its own in the works called Omega. Check back later in the week for more on this new device.
So Steam Machine is dead but they're making their own Origin PC? High end PC no less. Sounds like marketing fluff to me.

That's the whole point of Steam Machine. It is aimed towards people who doesn't know how to build their own hardware or setup a Linux system. Just like a gaming console, it's a system that works right out of the box. Everything is there, you just need to log into your Steam account, purchase games and install them, as you do with PSN or XBL. You don't need to worry about installing drivers on a Linux or any of that stuff.

Wait a minute. Anyone miss this quote?

So Steam Machine is dead but they're making their own Origin PC? High end PC no less. Sounds like marketing fluff to me.

I'm not entirely sure what Steve read to come up with his headline, but to me to article and quote suggested only the nickname "Steam Machine" is dead but there still is demand for living room PCs, a la HTPC like we have known about in these parts for many years. He actually seemed quite excited for Valve to be close to unveiling their controller.

I'm sure the Origin Client Lead Manager will tell you the Steam Client is so dead and Origin is where its at. The Burger King CEO will tell you McDonald's is so dead, BK is where its at.

Back