Origin did something right.

You shouldn't have to fight to get your DLC to work, that's something else entirely.

Of course Origin is going to do something right sooner or later, even a broken clock is right twice a day.

depends on how badly broken it is :p

Origin is pretty much steam, except they don't let you opt out of their spyware clause. If they gave an opt out, I'd be open for business. I just don't want a spyware monster running on my machine in the background.

Been pretty happy with gamersgate lately.

atleast i dont randomly spread misinformation around. so many people like you on forums its ridiculous

What misinformation did I spread? You immediately shot down my assertion based on an admitted lack of knowledge.

Sorry, but if you have read any of the Origin threads on here, or have ever used it, you would see their customer support is light years ahead of what you get from Steam.

Too bad medal of honor is shit. You should have asked for something worth playing or a refund.

I just don't get people like who are totally willing to bend over and present their ass to Valve with a sign saying "I LIKE YU SOOOO MUCH PLEES RAPE ME NOW."

Hats ruined TF2 btw. How often do people idle while trading? Trading should be out of game only.

confused

I have never had a reason to contact Valve customer service (and hope I never need to). It's good that people are having good experiences with Origin's CS. As for the service itself? I'll download it if I decide I really want BF3. Otherwise, I'm plenty happy with Valve's service, especially after the server upgrades. I don't really get into the good vs. evil company battle. I'm not buying MW3 because I don't buy map packs, especially not for a franchise that has such a short cycle till the next version. I don't think Activision is evil, I just don't like what they are doing with the product. If EA does the same thing with BF3, then I won't be buying it either. I look forward to the new Counterstrike because I like the way Valve supports their multiplayer games.

Valve and EA aren't going anywhere. They will be apart of your gaming lives for many years to come.

640k should be enough for anybody - Bill Gates

Nothing is a sure bet in this world my friend. Just ask the juggernaut that was Myspace.

640k should be enough for anybody - Bill Gates

Nothing is a sure bet in this world my friend. Just ask the juggernaut that was Myspace.

The first line referring to 640K, sounds like a case against Steam being the only DD.
Steam is enough, blah.

Virtual vs Physical - That's the difference between EA and Myspace.
EA has been around since the 80's, it's not some .com start up business of the 90's and 2000's.

If EA collapsed, gaming was suffering as a whole before it happened.

I don't have a problem with Origin. I just want them to sell other companies games. As I said in other threads about Origin.

As far as customer service, I never had a need to contact Steams so couldn't comment. The last time I had problems with Steam was whenever I had to delete the god damn .BLOT file or whatever it was called when something got corrupted lol. That was a long time ago.

I still will not install Origin on my computer, EA is the worst company in the entire gaming universe besides Activision.

I don't want to support EA or this direction of having every publisher have their own online DD service, I don't want a tray full of 11 different publisher's DD icons.

That's absolute rubbish, Ubisoft is by far many multiples worse than EA as of now.

-Very shitty DRM from StarForce to single player needing persistent online connection for no reason whatsoever? Check.
-Generic crap games where you do the same thing over and over again for 20 hours, and exploit shitty reviewers to get good scores (Far Cry 2, all Assassin's Creed games, etc)? Check.
-Direct copy/paste of every competitor's popular games shamelessly for their Gameloft mobile division (Nova, Modern Combat, etc.)? Check.

Origin customer support >>>>>>>>>> Steam customer support. It's not even close. Everyone bitching about Origin non stop needs to open their eyes.

steam has customer service? lol news to me..

That's absolute rubbish, Ubisoft is by far many multiples worse than EA as of now.

-Very shitty DRM from StarForce to single player needing persistent online connection for no reason whatsoever? Check.
-Generic crap games where you do the same thing over and over again for 20 hours, and exploit shitty reviewers to get good scores (Far Cry 2, all Assassin's Creed games, etc)? Check.
-Direct copy/paste of every competitor's popular games shamelessly for their Gameloft mobile division (Nova, Modern Combat, etc.)? Check.

fail's just trolling like he always does, don't waste your time responding to his bullcrap.

Too bad medal of honor is shit. You should have asked for something worth playing or a refund.

i'm going to take an educated guess that he did it so he gets the BF3 beta access that comes with the game..

I was sceptical of Origin at first since I'm a big fan of steam.
Though, after using it a bit it's quite good. Sure it's new and there's some odd things here and there but in the end I like it and their CSR is top notch.

You know that's how most people are about any product. Everything is peachy and lovely until it fails for them. Then they say something like, " Origin CSR's didn't help me with my problem!" and 2 dozen people tell them how it works perfectly for them. No matter how many times they explain a legit problem, others will bash them and tell them it's their fault or that they are they are a minority thus it doesn't count.

What should happen is that people ban together to assist the manufacturer with getting the issue fixed. Or if the manufacturer isn't caring, to spread the word about their dissatisfaction with a service. But all that leads to is more bashing of the individual that has the issues.

Would be nice to write a document that explains what consumers could reasonably expect with these new services. Present it to the various players in the field and see if they have similar ideas on how to improve their products to suit consumer needs. But that guy would be branded an evangelist and bashed again.

Well maybe I'm slightly jaded; but that's how I see these discussions going right now.

Agree on just about everything above.

You see it all the time in forums... people trying to one-up each other... /shrug

So now that my own origin account is still off limits to me I'm having quite a lot of fun with LOL...

Today I was staring at Origin wondering if I really wanted to play BF3 badly enough that I would actually support EA. So I said to myself I'll give them a test. Hopped on Live Chat to request something weird.

I explained to the Live Chat person named Valeria that I had purchased MoH long ago, but lost my discs in my storage unit when I moved. I was wondering if she could hook me up with a downloaded copy to replace the physical one. I explained that I did take the time to register it, and that she can check my stats on the Gun Club website.

Valeria asked me what my serial code was and I responded that I didn't have a clue as the Dvd case was in storage. She didn't promise me much, but offered to try to help. 2 minutes later I had MoH in my list of games. Can't beat that for customer service!

So in short I finally had a good experience with Origin. I wish my DLC for DA:Origins Ultimate Edition worked, but this kinda made up for it. Still wary of EA, but good customer service goes a long way to winning me over.

At least now I may be willing to give them a chance even though I still think that not every publisher needs proprietary software running on your system to play their games. But if they are willing to sell Indie and other publisher's games on their service then I would consider them to be another Steam / Direct2Drive / Impulse, etc. This last statement has yet to fully materialize, so I'm just watching to see what they do in the end.

New things always work nicely for a while.

New things always work nicely for a while.

Well I was just posting something nice about EA since I usually don't have much good to say about them. This wasn't a let's all forgive and forget thread; it was me acknowledging that they did something nice for me yesterday. I'm not going to run out and buy BF3 just because they added PopCap games to their download store or assisted me with MoH. It would be because they did cumulative things over time that change my stance.

No I'm not a Steam fanatic; I like Valve and respect them as a company. I wish they would change their offline mode for those of us with crappy internet. EA has always rubbed me the wrong way, so for them to do something that impressed me was extraordinary. I still miss my damn 2K football for starters. Not going any further than that as I really don't feel like complaining today.

:)

Actually they should pay people money above and beyond any refund value for that POS.

When I played the BF3 Alpha, I had a sick feeling in my gut. The entire time that all the achievements and crap were flying around, I was thinking this is MoH.

OMG Nooooooooo!!!

Then I started paying attention to the little things and realized it was Battlefield in a MoH skin. It looks identical to crappy ass MoH, but plays like Battlefield. It still scares me to think that greatness and shittiness can coexist in this manner. Dice would have done better to have never released MoH so that the BF3 graphics and style change would have been new and refreshing.

When I played the BF3 Alpha, I had a sick feeling in my gut. The entire time that all the achievements and crap were flying around, I was thinking this is MoH.

OMG Nooooooooo!!!

Then I started paying attention to the little things and realized it was Battlefield in a MoH skin. It looks identical to crappy ass MoH, but plays like Battlefield. It still scares me to think that greatness and shittiness can coexist in this manner. Dice would have done better to have never released MoH so that the BF3 graphics and style change would have been new and refreshing.

Not sure how you can tell difference between MOH, BF, or COD anyway. All modern war games look the same to me. Bunch of ugly textures and brown on top of brown with a few more shades of brown.

I can tell the difference between BF3 and BF:BC2. BF3 has achievements flying around like you're in an arcade building a 200x multiplier. When you level up for the first time I thought I was playing World of Warcraft. It reminds you of MoH, but without all the camping zones and broken maps. If you've played MoH multiplayer against a decent team you know what I'm talking about. Every corner is a sniper's roost for camping.

I can tell the difference between BF3 and BF:BC2. BF3 has achievements flying around like you're in an arcade building a 200x multiplier. When you level up for the first time I thought I was playing World of Warcraft. It reminds you of MoH, but without all the camping zones and broken maps. If you've played MoH multiplayer against a decent team you know what I'm talking about. Every corner is a sniper's roost for camping.

I was half-joking about the graphics of modern war games looking similar.

I was half-joking about the graphics of modern war games looking similar.

Ha ha, it's ok. You know that in the game F.E.A.R. lots of reviewers bashed it for having achievements flying around when it was supposed to be survival horror or whatever. I wonder how they will feel about the achievement spam in BF3. You can't miss it as it's the "In your face!" style achievement spam.

Origin customer support >>>>>>>>>> Steam customer support. It's not even close. Everyone bitching about Origin non stop needs to open their eyes.
There are a lot of television shows that are great for the first 6 or 12 episodes. They start out strong because to create a success they pour more money in it at first. Hire better writers, better sets and shooting, more effects, etc.

There are countless shows that are good for six episodes and then its downhill. The hope is for you to get attached to the show so your sentimentality keeps you watching as they defund it.

EA is cash rich at the moment because they have the key franchise right now. It doesn't mean the way the operate Origin is economically viable. And they are blatantly in competition with Steam. Which means once they've built their user base, and have you locked in because of your game collection, they can drop the pretense and defund it back to a lower level.

Today I was staring at Origin wondering if I really wanted to play BF3 badly enough that I would actually support EA. So I said to myself I'll give them a test. Hopped on Live Chat to request something weird.

I explained to the Live Chat person named Valeria that I had purchased MoH long ago, but lost my discs in my storage unit when I moved. I was wondering if she could hook me up with a downloaded copy to replace the physical one. I explained that I did take the time to register it, and that she can check my stats on the Gun Club website.

Valeria asked me what my serial code was and I responded that I didn't have a clue as the Dvd case was in storage. She didn't promise me much, but offered to try to help. 2 minutes later I had MoH in my list of games. Can't beat that for customer service!

So in short I finally had a good experience with Origin. I wish my DLC for DA:Origins Ultimate Edition worked, but this kinda made up for it. Still wary of EA, but good customer service goes a long way to winning me over.

At least now I may be willing to give them a chance even though I still think that not every publisher needs proprietary software running on your system to play their games. But if they are willing to sell Indie and other publisher's games on their service then I would consider them to be another Steam / Direct2Drive / Impulse, etc. This last statement has yet to fully materialize, so I'm just watching to see what they do in the end.

Glad you got helped out. I think the one thing they did right was streaming demos. I would prefer downloadable demos but either way I get to try games out before buying.

Everybody bitched, groaned, moaned, cried and murdered their neighbor's pets when Steam first launched with Half-Life 2. Then people got off their high horses and realized that it's not a bad thing.

Origin is still new. People don't like change. They'll get over it, or they won't. Who really cares? I've had no issues with Origin as far as a service. The application itself needs a little polishing, but that comes with time and customer feedback.

To the people complaining about splitting up their friends lists: What did you do before steam, use Xfire? It's still around, feel free to use it if you want all your friends on one list.

Everybody bitched, groaned, moaned, cried and murdered their neighbor's pets when Steam first launched with Half-Life 2. Then people got off their high horses and realized that it's not a bad thing.

Origin is still new. People don't like change. They'll get over it, or they won't. Who really cares? I've had no issues with Origin as far as a service. The application itself needs a little polishing, but that comes with time and customer feedback.

To the people complaining about splitting up their friends lists: What did you do before steam, use Xfire? It's still around, feel free to use it if you want all your friends on one list.

Origin really isn't new. The name is, but EA Downloader has been around for a while.

I keep hearing that, but I don't remember anybody bitching when steam came out. The only complaint I ever heard was having to use shitty xfire because Steam friends didn't work for a couple years.

im sorry but thats just plain not true. i got no opinion on origin because i dont use it but ive used steam support multiple times ie preorder refund (moh heroes6 blackops), cdkey not authentic (cs 1.6), game not appearing in my game menu, and all of those problems were resolves without issues.

So you have no experience with Origin and yet you claim its "just plain not true" :rolleyes:

I've used Steam support before and its crap compared to Origin from what I've experienced. Steam doesn't have any kind of live chat so you can wait up to a few weeks to get a response (like I did) or you can use Origin and get a real person either through live chat or on the phone who can resolve the issue quickly and effectively.

Now I'm not fanboy of EA , I hate there fucking guts but they did the right thing with Origin in my opinion. Having live chat is a no brainer in this day and age , forcing customers to only be able to contact you via Email can be a frustrating experience. So regardless if you hate EA .. they managed to actually improve in a place where Valve lacks in a big way.

I keep hearing that, but I don't remember anybody bitching when steam came out. The only complaint I ever heard was having to use shitty xfire because Steam friends didn't work for a couple years.

You must not have been paying too much attention than. Steam was complete shit when it came out. It didn't help that Valve forced people to use it and the HL2 launch just made the issues all the more apparent.

Oh man, there was more uproar about Steam than you can quantify.

I'd have no problem buying Origin if I wasn't forced to run proprietary spyware (without an opt out clause) on my machine. Fix that and I'll browse them for deals like the other Digital distributors.

Wait a sec, just read first post, then re-read. At what point did you "request something weird?"

Origin's support seems to be much better then steam's. That being said they seeem to be giving people many many more reasons to use it.

Wait a sec, just read first post, then re-read. At what point did you "request something weird?"

Well the average company isn't going to give you a digital copy of a game just because you used to own a physical copy. I no longer own a MoH LE physical copy as it was lost after I moved. I asked the CSR if I could have a digital copy of the game since I lost the physical copy.

To my delight she actually gave it to me. Shocked the heck out of me. And before you say that all companies do that, they don't necessarily. Most companies see a person losing a physical copy as an opportunity to sell you a digital copy replacement like the music companies notoriously do. For EA to do that made my day.

The MoH copy that she gave me allowed me to play in both BF3 Betas which was good advertisement for the game as my nephews all bought it on consoles; can't win them all. :( And even though I was still boycotting EA at BF3 launch, one of my nephews ended up buying me a copy of the game two hours before you could play the game. So I ended up with BF3 regardless of my apathy towards EA.

But anyway this thread is old as sin; nice necro!

Well the average company isn't going to give you a digital copy of a game just because you used to own a physical copy. I no longer own a MoH LE physical copy as it was lost after I moved. I asked the CSR if I could have a digital copy of the game since I lost the physical copy.

They should... really... why wouldn't they? I think people always assume business are trying to make money by raping consumers without realising that for hundreds of years the best business philosophy has been to make your customers happy and they'll return to you.

You showed through you stats that you HAD owned the game, they had nothing to gain by not giving it to you as a digital copy and it cost them nothing beyond their regular service to give you access to it. I'm surprised that people are surprised to actually receive customer service.

That's the problem with gaming as a whole, its an industry which increasingly abuses its customers and then the customers themselves use the excuse "Well they're in it to make money, not make friends", but since when were those two things mutually exclusive? In any other form of retail you always go the extra mile to make the customer happy in the hope they'll return for more business... except gaming... where they make you feel like its some fucking privilege for you to buy their games. That's why I really appreciate CDProjekt, they show that they are in it for the benefit of gamers.

I've used EA support in the past (before Origin and I wasn't even using EA Downloader) and was happy with the service... but that should be "standard" and not an "exception".

Back