Origin Client Found Snooping Through Your FIles- EA Admits It

hmm ok I just checked, yep still dont have origin installed. Fuck EA.

I just checked too. I thought I could stomach it so I could finish up the Mass Effect series... Know what... It's uninstalled, and I'm left believing there are only two games in the series...

***on a more serious note, I will probably install it again, finish ME3, then never look at it again... ...except when Mirror's Edge 2 is released... Then I will forget it again... forever...

seriously probably the only reasonable person in this thread. i rage so hard internally hearing these morons argue back and forth over this nonsense.

I just hate EA. For a lot of reasons. I'm not alone. You don't get voted worst company in America for a few years running if some people don't agree. The reason I only run Steam, is that I really only want one place to go for my games. I do most of my playing (unless I'm playing FPS with M+KB) on my gaming HTPC.

I do like a few games that are published by EA, but that's because they do have a few talented studios mixed in with their other atrocities and abominations. That means I like those individual studios though, not EA. I don't want EA's garbage on my computer. Plain and simple. It's unfortunate that I have multiple series that all have two out of three games in a trilogy in Steam, and then would need to go to Origin just to play the third. Same thing with uPlay, etc.

If they want to do that, they're perfectly within their rights to do so, but I don't have to like it.

I just hate EA. For a lot of reasons. I'm not alone. You don't get voted worst company in America for a few years running if some people don't agree. The reason I only run Steam, is that I really only want one place to go for my games. I do most of my playing (unless I'm playing FPS with M+KB) on my gaming HTPC.

I do like a few games that are published by EA, but that's because they do have a few talented studios mixed in with their other atrocities and abominations. That means I like those individual studios though, not EA. I don't want EA's garbage on my computer. Plain and simple. It's unfortunate that I have multiple series that all have two out of three games in a trilogy in Steam, and then would need to go to Origin just to play the third. Same thing with uPlay, etc.

If they want to do that, they're perfectly within their rights to do so, but I don't have to like it.

Vote manipulation. Everyone is on the hate EA bandwagon and I bet half of those people never used Origin or even own any EA games. I own a ton of games across all three (uplay, steam, origin).

I could care less about streaming, achievements, forums, chat, etc. Just give me my fucking game and let me play without any bullshit.

Vote manipulation. Everyone is on the hate EA bandwagon and I bet half of those people never used Origin or even own any EA games. I own a ton of games across all three (uplay, steam, origin).

I could care less about streaming, achievements, forums, chat, etc. Just give me my fucking game and let me play without any bullshit.

Well some of us do like those extras. I like to know when my friends are online so I can ask them if they want to play something. Origin social is just decrepit. And for those of us that appreciate those features, Origin looks very ancient. I wonder if the lost sales by ditching Steam balance out the savings by not having to split profits with Valve on DLC sales. UPLAY isn't much better. If there was ever an award for useless waste of space on a PC I don't know if UPLAY or Origin would win.

I'm all for competition in the marketplace. But the competitors should at least try to match each other. Otherwise one product trumps all of the others. That's what is happening in the marketplace right now as I see it. Maybe we need a new face in the market that is actually interested in competing with Valve.

I use origin, i've bought a couple games on it but vowed no more. I have battlefield 2142, 3 and 4 and titanfall. I dont like the interface or the way it works. I admit i dont like it because atleast 3 of those games were not done when they were released and the 4th had issues but i can put up with the latter. In the end because of the negative will EA has built up with me i dont like them as a publisher and dont trust them. Everytime couple days my origin client wont start up which i find annoying because it can't find "update.exe"

I also have had Origin bill my credit card from the netherlands which caused me to incur a foreign transaction fee. It wasn't much but what the fuck. When i called them they said they can't control that. They refunded me and took back the game which i suppose is a good thing.

Steam on the other hand works, i've had zero problems with them, every single person i talk to and play games with have it. Their forums are actually useful and have both caused me to not buy and buy games based on customer feedback. I dont play uplay games either though. I've decided the only drm i'm willing to accept is steam or no drm such as GOG. Its a matter of i'm tired of 5000 accounts and passwords and different places i have to go for help . That and every game EA releases they find a way to fuck up.

Well some of us do like those extras. I like to know when my friends are online so I can ask them if they want to play something. Origin social is just decrepit. And for those of us that appreciate those features, Origin looks very ancient. I wonder if the lost sales by ditching Steam balance out the savings by not having to split profits with Valve on DLC sales. UPLAY isn't much better. If there was ever an award for useless waste of space on a PC I don't know if UPLAY or Origin would win.

I'm all for competition in the marketplace. But the competitors should at least try to match each other. Otherwise one product trumps all of the others. That's what is happening in the marketplace right now as I see it. Maybe we need a new face in the market that is actually interested in competing with Valve.

There is no winning with you so I won't even bother, you can see it in every thread you post in.

I use origin, i've bought a couple games on it but vowed no more. I have battlefield 2142, 3 and 4 and titanfall. I dont like the interface or the way it works. I admit i dont like it because atleast 3 of those games were not done when they were released and the 4th had issues but i can put up with the latter. In the end because of the negative will EA has built up with me i dont like them as a publisher and dont trust them. Everytime couple days my origin client wont start up which i find annoying because it can't find "update.exe"

I also have had Origin bill my credit card from the netherlands which caused me to incur a foreign transaction fee. It wasn't much but what the fuck. When i called them they said they can't control that. They refunded me and took back the game which i suppose is a good thing.

Steam on the other hand works, i've had zero problems with them, every single person i talk to and play games with have it. Their forums are actually useful and have both caused me to not buy and buy games based on customer feedback. I dont play uplay games either though. I've decided the only drm i'm willing to accept is steam or no drm such as GOG. Its a matter of i'm tired of 5000 accounts and passwords and different places i have to go for help . That and every game EA releases they find a way to fuck up.

All of this. (except I never got billed from the Netherlands) :D That sucks...

There is no winning with you so I won't even bother, you can see it in every thread you post in.

I also like some of Steam's features. Ok, so you don't. Cool. Use whatever interface you want. Doesn't impact me. However, Big Picture Mode is very cool in a gaming HTPC scenario. Streaming is cool if you want to play in a place in the house that you normally don't for some reason. (not quite as useful, but I have done it a few times now in some odd scenarios) The Steam forums, while not as useful as an enthusiast place like this, are definitely nice to have. People in there tend to find ways to solve problems if any arise. Whatever, it's up to you what you like, use, need, etc. EA is shady though. They really are. You can say there's a hate bandwagon all you want, but there are reasons behind it. People got fed up with them. You enjoy their games, and that's great for you. I admit that they do have the odd franchise that I like to play. However, most of their games are shoveled up crap from the depths of who-knows-where, they're rushed out the door broken most of the time, and people just aren't into that. Speaking up about it doesn't seem to be pure hatred to me.

I use Steam because I want to...I use Origin/Uplay because I have to....Of the three I have had the most issues with Origin. It's pretty bad when you first see something with the potential to be awesome like Star Wars Battlefront, only to have your next thought be damn...its gonna require Origin.

So my suggesting that we need an actual competitor for Steam is bad. :D I simply don't agree that Origin and UPLAY are doing anything useful other than providing another layer of DRM for their games. If you think that DRM and the ability to launch a game is all you desire in a digital storefront, then they are perfection. Every CD or DVD that I have bought for a computer supplied that in the past. For me that's simply not enough.

I think that those features you dismiss are what endear Steam to it's users, making it the de facto standard for online storefronts. To compete you have to innovate and Origin / UPLAY simply aren't passing the litmus test.

Extra Features and/or Bloat are exactly the metrics you compare the two against. Them "working" is a minimum requirement that at all times should be achieved.

And working is the only requirement. The other stuff is just opinion based crap. I don't care for half the features on steam. Does it have more features? Sure. Are they needed to play games? No..

***on a more serious note, I will probably install it again, finish ME3

Don't do it! Don't do it! There is a terrible evil right under your nose, hiding in plain sight...and I am not speaking of Origin. You have been warned.

I love the people coming in and saying "Well I don't use all of those extra features Steam has so it's irrelevant"...seriously, what a fucking joke. As far as I'm concerned your opinion about the comparison between Steam and Origin has no merit if you dismiss everything other than "well it can play games lolol".

If all you care about is playing games on the platform, why bother coming into a thread discussing the specifics of what each program does?

Don't do it! Don't do it! There is a terrible evil right under your nose, hiding in plain sight...and I am not speaking of Origin. You have been warned.

Lol. I have been playing through the whole series again and just started playing ME3 the other day and I've actually been impressed by how good the story is so far(though the 15 minute blocks of cutscenes are getting annoying), but I know the shitfest is waiting for me at the end and I'm not looking forward to it. I think I forgot how good the early part is because the ending was bad enough and left a strong enough impression that it overshadowed everything else. The other thing that has annoyed me so far is how many little things I'm missing out on because I didn't play the DLCs for the first 2 games, I'm sure it's not a coincidence that Bioware started milking their games with DLC as soon as EA bought them out.

I love the people coming in and saying "Well I don't use all of those extra features Steam has so it's irrelevant"...seriously, what a fucking joke. As far as I'm concerned your opinion about the comparison between Steam and Origin has no merit if you dismiss everything other than "well it can play games lolol".

If all you care about is playing games on the platform, why bother coming into a thread discussing the specifics of what each program does?

It's very irrelevant.. Cause they aren't required to play the game. Just cause you have a super feature rich thing. Doesn't make it the best. Otherwise people would be buying nothing but Vizio TV's which are crap. But you know what.. They get the job done.. Cause people CAN watch TV with them.

It's very irrelevant.. Cause they aren't required to play the game. Just cause you have a super feature rich thing. Doesn't make it the best. Otherwise people would be buying nothing but Vizio TV's which are crap. But you know what.. They get the job done.. Cause people CAN watch TV with them.

My dad had his own garage from the 1950's until the mid 2000's. He refused to buy a car with air conditioning because he said that they used unnecessary gas and added in extra complication when repairing them. He wanted to be able to get to the alternator, timing belt, water pump, etc without dealing with the unnecessary air conditioning system.

In the mid 90's my mom purchased a new car without consulting my father because she wanted air conditioning like everyone else had. Needless to say it didn't go over well with him. My dad got sick and we had to drive him 3 hours to the VA hospital in August. Guess what car he asked to be driven in? The 1965 1/2 Cadillac? The completely restored 1940's VW Beetle? Or my mom's car with air conditioning?

To call features that have made millions of PC gamers flock to one platform frivolous and irrelevant because they aren't needed to launch a game is the same argument that my dad used about air conditioning in a vehicle. If you agree with my dad that air conditioning on a car is frivolous, I can point to millions of Americans that appreciate A/C and would ditch a car company if they didn't have it as a feature in their cars.

You seem to be ignoring the fact that it's inferior for the basic requirements of a DD game service, things like downloading, launching, and managing your games. I can't even imagine trying to use that awful grid library interface if I had half the games on Origin that I do on Steam. The options for the grid interface are to have larger or smaller images and the only useful sorting features are "favorites", "installed games", and "played this week" which is a lot less useful than the custom categories you can make in Steam.

I did figure out how to change the default install directory unfortunately it doesn't allow you to set it per game unless you go in and change the default directory before installing a game each time you want it installed somewhere else. It also appears that you can't move it without downloading it again or using symbolic links. These are basic useability features that Steam has and Origin doesn't.

Yeah, except that is a situation where a person buys a cheap base-feature product because all they care about is watching TV. That's fine, but that's not what we're talking about here.

What we are talking about, to use your analogy, is people saying, "Well, a high-end Sony and a Vizio can both watch TV, so there's no reason to buy a Sony because anything else that it does is irrelevant". Or to go even further, "The Vizio does everything the Sony can do the same or better because all I care about is watching TV".

That doesn't sound really idiotic to you?

I just checked too. I thought I could stomach it so I could finish up the Mass Effect series... Know what... It's uninstalled, and I'm left believing there are only two games in the series...

***on a more serious note, I will probably install it again, finish ME3, then never look at it again... ...except when Mirror's Edge 2 is released... Then I will forget it again... forever...

I unistalled it around the time I quit playing BF3. I was really frustrated by a lot of problems the game had.

From the get go you accessed the BF interface in a fucking web page that was always fucked up, your friends list didn't match your origin list. There was never a need to have both. Just fucking fix origin or get rid of it. If Steam is an annoying buddy you have to play all your games with (its not I love it now that I've found Big picture and ICE) then origin is like having to drag a dying cat by the tail everywhere you go.

They still hadn't fixed pub team balancing which is weird because Valve does it pretty well if not perfectly with CSGO.

All the DLC crap with EA is just maddening. The expensive map packs and shit drives me nuts. While this isn't a specific EA issue isn't it annoying to see a game and all it's DLC go on sale and have to research which DLC is just stupid guns skins and which is actual content? I'm so fucking sick of it.

Then I read all the reviews of Dead Space 3 and the micro transaction stuff and I was just done with EA. I skipped out on BF4 and it's sounds like I should be glad I did. Fuck it's only been out a year and they're almost ready to pump out a new one without even bothering to fix everything wrong with the last 2. Fuck that. I'll just live without BF.

I won't play the mass effect games because I guess there's no controller support on the last 2 and I won't play it any other way, but thats just me being a baby.

LOL! Whatever you have to tell yourself.

Didn't even Kyle have a problem with Origin not working?

LOL! Whatever you have to tell yourself.

Didn't even Kyle have a problem with Origin not working?

Let's be serious for a moment. EA is by far not the worst company in America. It doesn't matter if you dislike EA, that's your prerogative, but anyone who isn't naïve should hopefully admit it.

Last I heard, EA doesn't use paramilitary organizations to keep people in line, or use child labor, or illegally bribes doctors to support medication which can have harmful side effects, or breaks safety regulations when involving peoples water supplies, or is trying to privatize water supplies, etc. like companies such as Coca Cola, Pfizer, Nestle, Monsanto have been involved in, just to name a few.

Want to name it worst gaming digital service? Fine. But there are truly evil companies out there, but this EA hate train by a lot of spoiled children because Battlefield 4 has some bugs, or Madden 2014 is just a roster update gets voted worst company.

I unistalled it around the time I quit playing BF3. I was really frustrated by a lot of problems the game had.

From the get go you accessed the BF interface in a fucking web page that was always fucked up, your friends list didn't match your origin list. There was never a need to have both. Just fucking fix origin or get rid of it. If Steam is an annoying buddy you have to play all your games with (its not I love it now that I've found Big picture and ICE) then origin is like having to drag a dying cat by the tail everywhere you go.

They still hadn't fixed pub team balancing which is weird because Valve does it pretty well if not perfectly with CSGO.

All the DLC crap with EA is just maddening. The expensive map packs and shit drives me nuts. While this isn't a specific EA issue isn't it annoying to see a game and all it's DLC go on sale and have to research which DLC is just stupid guns skins and which is actual content? I'm so fucking sick of it.

Then I read all the reviews of Dead Space 3 and the micro transaction stuff and I was just done with EA. I skipped out on BF4 and it's sounds like I should be glad I did. Fuck it's only been out a year and they're almost ready to pump out a new one without even bothering to fix everything wrong with the last 2. Fuck that. I'll just live without BF.

I won't play the mass effect games because I guess there's no controller support on the last 2 and I won't play it any other way, but thats just me being a baby.

I've put hundreds of hours into Battlefields and beaten Dead Space 3 twice. I got BF4 for $20 on black friday and grabbed premium for like $37.50 a little later. That's pretty reasonable to me. I didn't buy squat for Dead Space 3 other than the game. Who is forcing you to buy stuff?

It's really not that difficult to start Origin and click a big game icon. Congrats, you're done - you don't have to see it or do anything with it again until you're finished and out of the game. I'd rather everything be on Steam so there's no redundant clients, but it's not that big of a fucking deal.

Last edited:
got BF4 for $20 on black friday and grabbed premium for like $37.50 a little later.

Another little annoyance that EA has created:
"I paid $57.50 for BF4 and I think I got a deal"

Then I read all the reviews of Dead Space 3 and the micro transaction stuff and I was just done with EA.

The issue is overblown IMHO for Dead Space 3. I never would have known about this if it wasn't for the internet whining. I was over half-way through the game before someone pointed it out to me.

Dead Space 3 was worth it on its own. I didn't buy any of the DLC & I had a thoroughly good time playing it co-op & single player. I guess that I ignore any of the microtransaction issues unless it directly stops me from progressing in a game.

Another little annoyance that EA has created:
"I paid $57.50 for BF4 and I think I got a deal"

Yes, it is and was. I have nearly two hundred hours in it, and content is still coming out. I've had minimal problems from the get go.

How exactly did I do badly on that? Do you really not consider that a sane cost to entertainment ratio?

You can't access in game DLC if you're in offline mode with Origin, at least with the Mass Effect games.

So going back to the point of the thread.

I do not appreciate/ want anyone snooping around my computer. Do I have a choice?
That is the question we need to pay attention to!
Currently we don't!

Its either, accept my terms or don't play my game and maybe if we just stopped to think about if this is fair for us. We might be able to change their ways, $$$ changes things faster than anything. The true problem lies with "us" the hungry gamers who
will NOT stop buying games and we will take any ass pounding given to us. So we brought this on us by accepting these practices and still supporting these companies. So unless your ready for a major protest...just sit there and take it.. BITCHES!!!

EA has the LARGEST DIGITAL COCK IN THE INDUSTRY.. the pounding is strong and will only get stronger.

I actually had a lot of problems with Dead Space 3 and Origin when I played it. For some reason the Origin in-game overlay didn't work 90% of the time, and that prevented the upgrade system using Ratio Seals from working for me through most of the game. I think I got it working once or twice, and then quickly upgraded what I needed, and then it never worked again. Still don't know what was causing it, since the in-game overlay seemed to work for all the other Origin games I have.

If Steam is an annoying buddy you have to play all your games with (its not I love it now that I've found Big picture and ICE) then origin is like having to drag a dying cat by the tail everywhere you go.

Made me laugh! :D

(also agree with the rest of your post)

Let's be serious for a moment. EA is by far not the worst company in America. It doesn't matter if you dislike EA, that's your prerogative, but anyone who isn't naïve should hopefully admit it.

Last I heard, EA doesn't use paramilitary organizations to keep people in line, or use child labor, or illegally bribes doctors to support medication which can have harmful side effects, or breaks safety regulations when involving peoples water supplies, or is trying to privatize water supplies, etc. like companies such as Coca Cola, Pfizer, Nestle, Monsanto have been involved in, just to name a few.

Want to name it worst gaming digital service? Fine. But there are truly evil companies out there, but this EA hate train by a lot of spoiled children because Battlefield 4 has some bugs, or Madden 2014 is just a roster update gets voted worst company.

While you are of course correct in that they aren't the worst company on that kind of level, I don't really think the worst company thing equates to the most damaging and evil company in America. There are hundreds of those that don't even get mentioned. I think, at least IMO, it's more about "the most hated" from a consumer point of view. Which is why companies like Comcast and EA get nominated and voted in. People hate them. People have been directly screwed by them.

The companies you're talking about are FAR worse, but most people don't even know about their evil practices, or try to forget that they do since nothing can easily be done.

I think that goes beyond the scope of a discussion about Origin and how much it sucks. (sorry had to add that little jab at the end) :D

Back