Oregon Regulators OK 'Gigabit' Tax Breaks

HardOCP News

[H] News
You know something is seriously wrong when you get a politician to admit "The Legislature is not likely to be that foolish. We are foolish often, but usually not that foolish." :D

The break wasn't meant for Comcast, insisted Rep. Rep. Phil Barnhart (D-Eugene). He said the company's new "Gigabit Pro" service uses an existing network and charges extreme prices the Legislature never contemplated when they approved the tax breaks last year. Awarding the tax breaks to Comcast would, Barnhart testified, reward the company for doing "nothing."

I hate it when they use subjective terms like "affordable" or "within reasonable" when writing law. Affordable to whome? Reasonable to whome? By what standard are they measured? Ugh.

I hate it when they use subjective terms like "affordable" or "within reasonable" when writing law. Affordable to whome? Reasonable to whome? By what standard are they measured? Ugh.
Sometimes it's vague for a reason.

Trying to get legislatures to understand a balanced budget and the internet is akin to getting a monkey to do your books and they put it in excel for ya'.

"But utility commissioners ruled unanimously that Comcast's service meets the letter of the law, voting 3-0 in favor of the company. That vote could be worth tens of millions of dollars to Comcast, money Oregon counties and cities spent five years fighting for in court."

Wow. Comcast has no shame.

You mean like when they opened up the border to migrants with Gonahipaservaliteist? And then said, "Well, we think it will be under 100M a year to tax payers, so it's very affordable, and these diseases aren't that big of a deal anymore". Yep, Gonorrhea, Syphilis and HIV aren't a big deal. Well they might be soon. ARE YOU KIDDING ME! 100M a year, NOT A BIG DEAL?? What planet are these morons from anyway! All to grow the democrat base, it's just astounding.

So let me get this straight.... they wrote the law to benefit GOOGLE, Another company see's the law works for them too.. and this is Bad?

Original Article - The ruling on Google Fiber was never in doubt – last year's law was written specifically for that company, at Google's behest. So while that element of Tuesday's vote was a mechanical exercise, it could clear the way for Google Fiber to finally bring its long-awaited "gigabit" service to the Portland area.

I think they should just rescind and rewrite the law and actually USE Googles name... LOL

Axe

Back