ordering today:9800gtx or 8800gtx?

slideways666

Limp Gawd
Hey all.. I have been reading and watching here and i know the 9800 is basically a 8800gts... But in reading more--- I'm starting to see some really good oc'ability on the 9800gtx's.

So my question is this... 9800gtx(evga 299 new egg) and oc it to 800/2100/2400(or more).. Or get a 8800gtx(289amir @ new egg)..

I haven't seen any real deals on the ultra's.... I'm running a triplehead2go unit is i have a very big resolution... I was going to go with the 8800gtx's but just have been reading too much about how stout the 9800gtx is for in game performance..

My opinion: I would get the 9800gtx. You might pay more now but if you use the step up you would pay less later.

The 8800 GTX is proabably going to perform a bit better, especially at higher settings but overall its going to be a wash. I'd check reviews and look for your favorite games and see which one is better at them. Good hunting!

Id get the 9800GTX. After reading a ton of reviews I see it beating the 8800GTX more times then not. Plus it will run cooler and seems to be getting great overclocks. Not to mention resale might be easier being a newer card.

I have a 8800gtx, but I'd gladly trade it for a 9800gtx just for the heatsink design, and the fact that it runs cooler overall. The fact that they run about the same speed and cost about the same price means there's really no reason to buy an older model, you're not saving anything on the cost.

i'm pretty happy with my 8800gtx sli setup but it is not the "newest".
if starting from scratch i'd probably go the 9800 gtx

The 8800 GTX is probably going to perform a bit better, especially at higher settings but overall it's going to be a wash. I'd check reviews and look for your favorite games and see which one is better at them. Good hunting!

Yep.

I would go with 9800gtx it runs cooler and it is still new so new driver releases might increase performance on par with the 8800gtx.

we are assuming that price is not a factor right? If not the same price go for which ever is cheaper.

Thanks for the input guys.. I was on the same page with you guys regarding power consumption/resale/temps and oc'abilty... So i ordered me up a new shinny 9800gtx... Yeah i know it should have been called the 8900gts.. Yeah i know its not much faster then a 8800gtx(if at all).. But i didn't really care.. Runs cooler.. and gives about the same performance as a 8800gtx(when oc'd) .. So figured I'm in .. This will hold me off till the gt200 comes out..

i choosed 8800gtx don't know why but i feel like that extra ram can really be helpfull with newer games

I was going to loose my setup, so I selected the 9800 GTX just for the fact that it was $200 cheaper than the 8800 GTX, maybe not as fast (close enough I won't notice) cooler running and less power... but overall it was the $200 difference!

I got a A3 640mb GTS for $180 and it does great at 1920x1200 COD4. 2XMSAA, Extra Textures, Spec map, ragdoll on and normal, normal on the object and water.

Avrg fps is 110 w/ a stock 6750 and 2x2gb ddr1000 at 1T.

how is tiger direct to deal with? We all hear stories about newegg's great rma ect.. But any time i deal with newegg-- it just sucks.. Something always gets messed up... So am thinking about trying tiger direct..

well with all the news about the gt200/gt100/9900gtx what ever the hell they decide to call it coming out maybe late q2... Guess i have waited this long-- ill either just wiat a bit more or get a 9600gt for 150 and use that to tie me over..

I'd go with the 9800GTX and step up when those said 9900GTX's come out, which are supposedly around the corner, so have a pretty good card now.

i was thinkingabout that but you know how that goes.. "oh because the boat was slow we are going to delay for 2 more weeks".. and Poof.. Step up is GONE ... ouch..

True, but the 9800GTX is still not a bad buy imo, and for that price too, you can always test your luck, heh =p.

I just got the 9800GTX this weekend and I could not be happier. I upgraded from a 7950GT AGP card though, so the difference is staggering.

get the damn card already. If you can step up, great. Just quit depriving yourself of quality gaming for the next big thing. ;)

get the damn card already. If you can step up, great. Just quit depriving yourself of quality gaming for the next big thing. ;)

Yeah, I agree, the waiting game is a big no-no, unless you absolutely know what you want (ie. next gen) is around the corner.

Hey all.. I have been reading and watching here and i know the 9800 is basically a 8800gts... But in reading more--- I'm starting to see some really good oc'ability on the 9800gtx's.

So my question is this... 9800gtx(evga 299 new egg) and oc it to 800/2100/2400(or more).. Or get a 8800gtx(289amir @ new egg)..

I haven't seen any real deals on the ultra's.... I'm running a triplehead2go unit is i have a very big resolution... I was going to go with the 8800gtx's but just have been reading too much about how stout the 9800gtx is for in game performance..

Tough call. I'd say you can't go wrong with either

On one hand the 8800GTX is faster overall specially at high resolutions because of wider bus and extra memory.

On the other hand the 9800GTX runs cooler, uses less power, has Pure Video HD acceleration, and HDMI (on some models), plus it overclocks like crazy.

i have both the 9800gtx and the 8800gtx and I use the 8800gtx because the 9800gtx hangs on me in WoW after about 20 mins of use. I have tried 2 different cards and vista/xp.

The 9800 supposedly performs much better in SLI, but like others have said it's not a marginal difference.

If you're gonna upgrade again soon (GT200 or something within 6 months), you might wanna try grabbing an 8800GTX off Ebay (from a seller that has over 50-100 of 100% positive feedback, a guarantee that it works, and a $2,000 paypal buyer protection policy) for under $250.

If no upgrade is planned in the short term, better invest in 1GB of memory and get an 8800GTS G92 with 1GB of memory. However, it's sold out at newegg.com http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814261006

Either 768MB or 1GB of memory will last you longer than only 512MB, so I consider an 8800GTX a better investment regardless.

Back