Ordering product in Canada

sixpac

Limp Gawd
I am in Canada and wondering where's a good place to order my first water cooling setup from?

I know of NCIX and Bigfootcomputers.. but NCIX doesn't stock much and Bigfootcomputers is on the East coast and I am on the West. So somebody that sells online in Vancouver would be a nice choice.

Thanks! :D

If you are looking to buy online and get shipped to you... razetek.com ;) That is if you can pay in US dollars :eek:

Dont order cross boarder stuff unless you dont mind the like, 50$ brokerage fee. I like Jab-tech.com. Just ship with USPS or FedEX (USPS being my first choice, as it's really cheap) and ask them to declare the value under 100$... Illegal, but IMO, charging huge import taxes should be damn near illegal too.

I never cross border shop any more.. its not worth it. I was really looking for places in Canada.

so much for FREE-TRADE.. what a gyp.. :(

thanks for the link.. might check it out anyways..

I'm the reverse, live in Ontario, buy from BC whenever possible. Out of province the purchase isnt assessed any provincial sales tax. :)

Arcygenical said:
Illegal, but IMO, charging huge import taxes should be damn near illegal too.

I agree, however people whose job depends on this are happy that these exists, not knowing that the lack thereof may actually have them better off.

NTCW is still a ripoff.

I recommend across the border. Even with added shipping and tax, it's still cheaper than canada.

You mean NCIX? I compared some of the prices and when spending $350 or so in stuff it really doesn't save that much money, maybe $20 after shipping and duty.. and I would rahter pay a bit more then have to deal with the hassle of border shopping and shipping. ugh.

I just want the best place online in Canada that stocks the most stuff. I guess Bigfoot is it.

sixpac said:
You mean NCIX? I compared some of the prices and when spending $350 or so in stuff it really doesn't save that much money, maybe $20 after shipping and duty.. and I would rahter pay a bit more then have to deal with the hassle of border shopping and shipping. ugh.

I just want the best place online in Canada that stocks the most stuff. I guess Bigfoot is it.

no, no, no. NTCW and NCIX are totally different.

NTCW is the place where you send an e-mail to them asking why they sell a Swiftech MCR-220 and don't sell the barbs and get a reply saying "We have both the ID and OD for $5.00" and don't get any subsequent e-mails if you ask what the hell that means, while NCIX is pure awesomeness and a half. Go ask Borgschulze, he bought his MCP655 from there.

and I also bought almost everything in my rig from NCIX, and the service was awesome.

Yeah, almost everything in my rig is from NCIX too, they pricematch almost anything as long as its from a valid site. They also have awesome support and actually reply back to emails. I just ordered all my wc parts from NCIX and I am happy. :)

Although they didn't have the CPU block I wanted but it was all cool, I worked out a deal with them.

cheers for NCIX! i think of them as the canadian version of newegg. got all my parts there for my last build. one thing that really got me was that there were stocking issues with the ram and video card i selected so they couldn't send those with the rest of my order. ncix made it right though - i selected 1 week ground shipping, they sent the missing parts by overnight shipping no extra charge so i had everything on time;)

NCIX has been good to me as well.. I've ordered about $15,000 in parts from them (for home and for work) in the last year and not 1 dead part and good shipping and support.

Unfortunately they don't have a lot of water cooling pieces.. :(

they've started getting a lot more in lately sixpac. you should take a look now if you havn't. true, selection still could be better but i can't complain anymore.

Hey, my company ordered more than 30G$ last year from NCIX and my friends and I also built our own system using them. They really kick ass. Fast shipping and easy ordering.

Their prices are good, check for their specials that's where you can save big time.

Also, there's this new store: www.directcanada.com

I suspect they are somewhat related to NCIX since they carry some NCIX parts with the NCIX logo and their physical location is very very close. I have ordered from them and it's excellent. Their prices are good also, saved 175$ compared to NCIX on a new system without screen.

Never ever ever use Tigerdirect if possible.

I can't comment on NCIX service as i've never used them but when they do have what you're after i've heard they're a good place to shop.

I've purchased things from Bigfoot a few times in the past, the most recent being my watercooling set up and i'm quite happy with the experience, they had a $4 shipping offer on all orders over $100 and have a COD option as well if you don't have a CC or cash in your paypal account. That cost another $6 but since I was getting the shipping so cheap it was still way cheaper than buying equivalent parts locally.

NCIX is the newegg for canada ;). If you subscribe to their email you get weekly awesome deals.

I just picked up an Acer 19" widescreen monitor (not the best quality, but... for the price I paid) for about 210$ after tax and shipping... Not bad if you ask me.

Yes, NCIX is a great place to shop at for Computer goodies in Canada. But a word of caution: if the watercooling gear ain't in stock when you purchase it, be prepared to wait and wait for it!

Yeah, that what I was afraid of.

I might just stick with Bigfootcomputers.com

I haven't ordered from them in a while but it looks like they should have stock. Anyone ordered from them recently? (water cooling stuff that is).

I dont really understand the problem.

If you order from a place in the US, you pay duties on it as it comes over the boarder. Just use "USPS Parcel Airmail" as your shipping method. You'll get it in about a week and you wont have to worry about the HUGE upcharge that bigfoot is instating...

Seriously, jab-tech or xoxide (which allows you to pre-pay duties) will have MUCH better prices, and you only pay a bit more to ship.

The best way to buy from the US is to choose USPS Global Express Mail if they offer it. It takes less than 5 days and you will have to pay GST/PST and a $6 handling fee when the package is delivered (if the declared value is over about $30). If you want to pay even less and have it take longer, just get the USPS Parcel Post service it can take up to 2 weeks.

Do NOT use UPS or Fed-Ex ground... you will then pay them big money for brokerage fees.

The savings in price buying from the US will compensate for the shipping and everyone in Canada (including NCIX) has to special order just about everything anyway (from the US) so you are paying for shipping and waiting for it either way!

The best US companies are Jab-Tech, Petra's Tech Shop, and Performance PC's. You can't beat their pricing even with the shipping.

Good luck.

Under a week if you are lucky!

I have ordered with Global Express from the states and have seen wait times of two weeks! On an unlucky order, with Airmail it can be up to a month!

Like others have said, avoid {UPS,Fedex,etc} ground like a plauge. I don't understand why they must charge the exceedingly ridiculous charges often 1/2 the actual value of the item being shipped just to take it across the border. Its not like there will every be any duties! Just GST.

sixpac said:

I haven't ordered from them in a while but it looks like they should have stock. Anyone ordered from them recently? (water cooling stuff that is).

Ask Borgschulze about his Laing D5

i believe anitec.ca may be on the west coast... i know shipping to me in edmonton was faster and i think cheaper than ncix. Anitec is pretty good overall imo

sumofatguy said:
i believe anitec.ca may be on the west coast... i know shipping to me in edmonton was faster and i think cheaper than ncix. Anitec is pretty good overall imo

Anitec and NCIX are both in Greater Vancouver

n00btard said:
Ask Borgschulze about his Laing D5
1 month wait.. 2500 free reward points, and lots of apologies from Ryan (The only guy who speaks english at NCIX).

Anyone want to pay some money to order some cases with my reward points?

I'm thinking if we put in enough money and use my reward points, we can make NCIX go out of business by making them ship me large steel cases for free with my points :)

sixpac said:

Yup, last week...

Picked up a Swiftech Apex Ultra kit and added the GPU block. Apparently most places in Canada that carry DD stuff are having a hell of a time getting it in stock lately, MemoryExpress (the only local place to me that carries WC stuff) can't get it at the moment, nor can Bigfoot, so I went with the swiftech stuff rather than waiting. Ordered it on a Saturday, the COD dropoff was at my house the following Friday. Didn't get started till Tuesday though as they needed to clear the substitutions with me so shipping was hella fast considering the distance and the cost. $4 shipping deal they had going on orders over $100 not including cases.

Borgschulze said:
1 month wait.. 2500 free reward points, and lots of apologies from Ryan (The only guy who speaks english at NCIX).

Anyone want to pay some money to order some cases with my reward points?

I'm thinking if we put in enough money and use my reward points, we can make NCIX go out of business by making them ship me large steel cases for free with my points :)

Forget steel cases, order replacement batteries for high end ups's - those that weigh > 100kg :D LEAD!!!

Could you please elaborate on how you managed to get those points? I am waiting now in excess of one month for some parts from them! My second Storm block still aint here, nor is my Tyee block! (Not to mention some other parts) Parts that I ordered from the states in mid September had arrived just end of last week so I am too getting irritated.

im in alberta and do most of my shopping from E Global Computers, they have a shop right in Vancuver. I just got a lian li pc73sl for $283 and shipping was only 14 bucks and i was told 3 days for shipping with puralator but it only took 2 days :)

I live in the greater Vancouver area. Im 10 minutes from NCIX's Burnaby location and 15 minutes from Anitec. They both have almost identical prices in general but NCIX has better selection and more stock. ALso NCIX's forums on their site are cool. I buy everything from them that I can. I jsut know exactly what I want.

If you go in there cold without knowing exactly what you want good luck, Getting any kind of knowledgable info out of them is impossible. The sales staff at the Burnaby location just stare vacantly when u ask anything other than "what color is it?" and there is usually a language barier. I speak English, I dont know what they are speaking. Their new location in Langley is jsut a few minutes from my work and I pass it on the way home. Only been in there once but it seems to be better place for customer service.

i know this is off topic, but i really wanna get a word in for these guys.

www.alinx.ca

based on Scottroad@72nd ave in Surry, they dont price gouge, their staff are helpful, the have offered me a better price on every part iv seen compaired to NCIX, and in some cases Newegg.

their site lists about 50% of the products they ship, if you want something not on their site, shoot em an e-mail and theyll give you a quote. i dont know about liquid cooling tho, im looking at a system myself so i shot em an e-mail.

and plus, comon, who doesnt want to give to the little chinese family run business over the big ugly wal-mart like NCIX?

MrWizard6600 said:
i know this is off topic, but i really wanna get a word in for these guys.

www.alinx.ca

based on Scottroad@72nd ave in Surry, they dont price gouge, their staff are helpful, the have offered me a better price on every part iv seen compaired to NCIX, and in some cases Newegg.

their site lists about 50% of the products they ship, if you want something not on their site, shoot em an e-mail and theyll give you a quote. i dont know about liquid cooling tho, im looking at a system myself so i shot em an e-mail.

and plus, comon, who doesnt want to give to the little chinese family run business over the big ugly wal-mart like NCIX?

No paypal?

I've had to capitalize on NCIX's Richmond store being open Sundays a few times now. Very handy. :cool:

Where you live in Canada?

If you live in Ontario, specifically in the GTA area, try Tiger Direct, I work there we have quite a few water cooling systems for sale.

BigWater 745, Corsair Stingray, Zalman Reserator, Gigabyte system, and the CoolerMaster self enclosed systems.

Back