ordered my new 8 core setup :)

LOCO LAPTOP

[H]F Junkie
Yep I always wanted one and now got one. :)

Pwnagerigcomingup.jpg

I will make this into a gaming/work station rig. I planned to have my Scsi drives and change my server to use sata a few 1TB drives. I still need to get a 4870X2 and maybe ram since I have no clue if I really need ECC to run this.

Oh and almost forgot a waterblock to have both watercooled. :)

PICS ON STARTING PAGE 3

LOCO, you going to run Vista 64 then I take it or you plan on running something else? Also, what case you gonna dump all this into?

I demand hardware pr0n when it arrives!

LOCO LAPTOP said:
ordered my new 8 core setup :)
Yep I always wanted one and now got one

QHalo said:
Enjoy, I have those same processors in my T7400.

And yes, I hate the both of you. :)

I demand hardware pr0n when it arrives!

And yes, I hate the both of you. :)

Yes hardware pr0n is already planned. :D

LOCO, you going to run Vista 64 then I take it or you plan on running something else? Also, what case you gonna dump all this into?

Vista 64 is what I was thinking of and my case is a mountain mod UFO Duality

ah so you decided to get it locolaptop ... you gonna run 4870x2 in crossfier too? heh.. and yes i hate you too!! :D

Not on the first run. but maybe. :D

Yep I always wanted one and now got one. :)

Pwnagerigcomingup.jpg

I will make this into a gaming/work station rig. I planned to have my Scsi drives and change my server to use sata a few 1TB drives. I still need to get a 4870X2 and maybe ram since I have no clue if I really need ECC to run this.

Oh and almost forgot a waterblock to have both watercooled. :)

That board should require FB-DIMMs just like the Intel D5400XS does. I actually looked at that board but went for the D5400XS instead.

Not only do you need ECC memory, you need FB-DIMMS.

Pick the amount of memory want, and the speed. Done.

I'd like to see you make those components into a laptop :p

Im gonna order a kit for sure, I might get two though.

No reason not to get 2, you need 4 sticks for quad channel. It does run hot though, make sure you have good airflow in your case over the memory.

Also, put the latest bios on that board if it doesn't have it, it has some serious issues with the original bios.

No reason not to get 2, you need 4 sticks for quad channel. It does run hot though, make sure you have good airflow in your case over the memory.

Also, put the latest bios on that board if it doesn't have it, it has some serious issues with the original bios.

Yeah I forgot to bring that up. That memory does run extremely hot but it does pale in comparison to how hot the 5400 chipset runs. 70c temperatures with passive cooling are fairly normal with it. I wish retail D5400XS's came with a memory cooler but I guess that doesn't make sense given the fact that there is no telling what kind of memory someone would use with it. Though Intel was rumored to offer a active cooler for memory for that board. Though I've never seen it.

dam, didnt know asus had a dual socket 771 board - how is it for overclocking?

Probably better than the D5400XS. The D5400XS sucks for overclocking as it can't break 405MHz FSB. The only hope for non-Extreme Edition overclocking on that board is to get a pair of Xeons that use the 333MHz FSB and crank them up to 400MHz. I'd love to know more about the overclocking on the ASUS board but I've been unwilling to buy one and few people have them so I've seen very scarce informaiton on the board. (Not that I've looked that hard mind you.)

Yeah I forgot to bring that up. That memory does run extremely hot but it does pale in comparison to how hot the 5400 chipset runs. 70c temperatures with passive cooling are fairly normal with it. I wish retail D5400XS's came with a memory cooler but I guess that doesn't make sense given the fact that there is no telling what kind of memory someone would use with it. Though Intel was rumored to offer a active cooler for memory for that board. Though I've never seen it.

Heat wont be to much of an issue (x6 120mm fans intake) but I do have memory fan coolers.

So here is the update...

I cancel my E5405 and got E5410 from ockie who was selling them for $385 (for both), I did get the ram but 1 kit for now still will have the same board. All of that should come in on the 18th if all goes well.
---------------------------------------------
*To get list*
68Pin Scsi cable (where can we find good cheap ones for ultra320?)
ATI 4870X2
Dtek Cpu waterblock.
---------------------------------------------

Yes again, pics are going to be posted here. :)

wow, can't wait for the pix!

I was sooo tempted to build an 8 core system as well, definitely bookmarked for future reference =P

wow, can't wait for the pix!

I was sooo tempted to build an 8 core system as well, definitely bookmarked for future reference =P

It's really a waste of money for 99% of people. Those additional four cores will go to waste for most people. The only reason I'm using an 8 core D5400XS setup is so I can have SLI and Crossfire support on the same board. I am not about to use NVIDIA chipset boards in my system.

It's really a waste of money for 99% of people. Those additional four cores will go to waste for most people. The only reason I'm using an 8 core D5400XS setup is so I can have SLI and Crossfire support on the same board. I am not about to use NVIDIA chipset boards in my system.

That would be my reasoning, love to have those kind of options :D

That would be my reasoning, love to have those kind of options :D

It's nice but you can buy two high end boards for what one D5400XS costs you. The price of DDR2 FB-DIMMs isn't the best either. Finally you've got to use a BEEFY PSU for these things. You need two 8 pin motherboard connectors and Intel doesn't recommend anything under a 1kw for these things.

It's nice but you can buy two high end boards for what one D5400XS costs you. The price of DDR2 FB-DIMMs isn't the best either. Finally you've got to use a BEEFY PSU for these things. You need two 8 pin motherboard connectors and Intel doesn't recommend anything under a 1kw for these things.

Fine Dan, dash my dreams for an 8 core system :p

as you mentioned earlier...it's pretty much way overkill for 99% of users out there...

I'm pretty content w/ my current setup, I guess that will hold me by for a wee bit :D

Fine Dan, dash my dreams for an 8 core system :p

as you mentioned earlier...it's pretty much way overkill for 99% of users out there...

I'm pretty content w/ my current setup, I guess that will hold me by for a wee bit :D

Your hopes should have been dashed by reading this.

Your hopes should have been dashed by reading this.

hmm, I hardocp maybe down....I'm not getting anything from your link, but will check it out later.

thanks Dan haha, this saves me me from all the headaches you experienced these past couple of weeks w/ your x2's :D

hmm, I hardocp maybe down....I'm not getting anything from your link, but will check it out later.

thanks Dan haha, this saves me me from all the headaches you experienced these past couple of weeks w/ your x2's :D

Well that problem so far has only presented itself on the D5400XS. If you are going to go CrossfireX with 8 cores then the ASUS Z7S WS might be the better choice. I do have my second D5400XS in now. I'm going to try the ATI cards again and see what I get.

The audio initialization bug is back. Though this new board doesn't suffer from the cold boot issues or the eSATA lockup problem that my old board had.

The Asus board is the way to go, guys over at XtremeSystems have been hitting 430-450mhz FSB without issues.

The D5400XS sucks, trust me, I had one. (Hence the past tense) I was using e5430's and they did the max I could get the ram to run at, stock vcore. 8x400 - 3.2ghz.

From what I remember, overclock 2gb sticks or dual rank sticks was the major issue. Going with something smaller, like 1gb sticks, single rank, might work better on the d5400xs. Although, as previously mentioned, the Asus has no problems with 2gb sticks.

There are a few upsides to the D5400XS, the S775 mounting holes, and ability to run SLI. (Which I never got working either.)

TBH, the D5400XS was a great idea, but executed poorly.

I think the 1kw psu requirement is a bit excessive. I used the same psu thats in my sig. (PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750w Quad)

Here was my build: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1296850

The Asus board is the way to go, guys over at XtremeSystems have been hitting 430-450mhz FSB without issues.

The D5400XS sucks, trust me, I had one. (Hence the past tense) I was using e5430's and they did the max I could get the ram to run at, stock vcore. 8x400 - 3.2ghz.

From what I remember, overclock 2gb sticks or dual rank sticks was the major issue. Going with something smaller, like 1gb sticks, single rank, might work better on the d5400xs. Although, as previously mentioned, the Asus has no problems with 2gb sticks.

There are a few upsides to the D5400XS, the S775 mounting holes, and ability to run SLI. (Which I never got working either.)

TBH, the D5400XS was a great idea, but executed poorly.

I think the 1kw psu requirement is a bit excessive. I used the same psu thats in my sig. (PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750w Quad)

Here was my build: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1296850

Well I did the [H] article on the Skulltrail and I've been using one myself for some time so I have tons of experience with these boards. The main issue with the D5400XS is poor overclocking. SLI has always worked well for me. Since the Forceware 177.92 drivers came out I've even been able to run 3-Way SLI. (Intel always said it could and NVIDIA always said it couldn't.) I've run 8800GTX SLI on it, Geforce 9800GX2 Quad-SLI and I never had any problems at all with the board until I slapped Geforce GTX 280's on it. That's when my audio initialization problems, eSATA lockups, and cold boot issues started. If I throw in the ATI 4870 X2 all the problems stop aside from the eSATA one but then again the enclosure I'm using is likely the cause of that problem. So I really can't blame the D5400XS on that.

I think the D5400XS is a good board, but Intel doesn't stay on top of the BIOS changes well enough. Much of the time I'd bet that compatibility testing by manufacturers skip the platform all together.

BTW the new D5400XS I received yesterday was a bit different than the earlier ones I've seen. They changed the covering on the chipset cooler, and they now include a hard PCB SLI bridge just like the one the EVGA 680i SLI is packaged with. The LED poster on the board is also different and there seems to be improved quality on the board in general since the earlier version of the board that I worked with and used. They still ship with the 0926 BIOS instead of 1140 or 1149.

They're getting it up to 430-450, I might have to go pick one up. I had hopes for the DSEB, but it's to server oriented with no OCing. Have had no problems with crossfire on it though.

The whole single rank fb-dimm is crap, you lose bandwidth going from dual rank to single ranked. The other thing is, you want atleast 2 sticks per channel to allow you to do concurrent reads and rights on the same channel. Of course, the D5400XS and Z7S are both gimped with only 4 and 6 dimm slots. Why the hell can't someone make a good workstation board that allows overclocking but also takes full advantage of all of the features of the chipset?

They're getting it up to 430-450, I might have to go pick one up. I had hopes for the DSEB, but it's to server oriented with no OCing. Have had no problems with crossfire on it though.

The whole single rank fb-dimm is crap, you lose bandwidth going from dual rank to single ranked. The other thing is, you want atleast 2 sticks per channel to allow you to do concurrent reads and rights on the same channel. Of course, the D5400XS and Z7S are both gimped with only 4 and 6 dimm slots. Why the hell can't someone make a good workstation board that allows overclocking but also takes full advantage of all of the features of the chipset?

It would be nice wouldn't it?

Well I did the [H] article on the Skulltrail and I've been using one myself for some time so I have tons of experience with these boards. The main issue with the D5400XS is poor overclocking. SLI has always worked well for me. Since the Forceware 177.92 drivers came out I've even been able to run 3-Way SLI. (Intel always said it could and NVIDIA always said it couldn't.) I've run 8800GTX SLI on it, Geforce 9800GX2 Quad-SLI and I never had any problems at all with the board until I slapped Geforce GTX 280's on it. That's when my audio initialization problems, eSATA lockups, and cold boot issues started. If I throw in the ATI 4870 X2 all the problems stop aside from the eSATA one but then again the enclosure I'm using is likely the cause of that problem. So I really can't blame the D5400XS on that.

I think the D5400XS is a good board, but Intel doesn't stay on top of the BIOS changes well enough. Much of the time I'd bet that compatibility testing by manufacturers skip the platform all together.

BTW the new D5400XS I received yesterday was a bit different than the earlier ones I've seen. They changed the covering on the chipset cooler, and they now include a hard PCB SLI bridge just like the one the EVGA 680i SLI is packaged with. The LED poster on the board is also different and there seems to be improved quality on the board in general since the earlier version of the board that I worked with and used. They still ship with the 0926 BIOS instead of 1140 or 1149.

Dan,
I agree. Its a good board, execpt at overclocking.

I had the weirdest SLI issues. It would not play a game, but ran 3dmark perfectly fine. Tested both cards by themselves, and both worked perfectly.

A friend of mine just received a new D5400XS, I hope he has better luck than I did.

Dan,
I agree. Its a good board, execpt at overclocking.

I had the weirdest SLI issues. It would not play a game, but ran 3dmark perfectly fine. Tested both cards by themselves, and both worked perfectly.

A friend of mine just received a new D5400XS, I hope he has better luck than I did.

The only issue I have with the new board is once in awhile the audio won't initialize until I power the system off and power it back on. I don't know what the deal is but Windows always says the hardware isn't installed. In any case I'm not sure if this is a driver issue or what but it only happens with the Geforce GTX 280 cards installed. (The number of cards installed doesn't seem to make any difference.) It never happened with the any other NVIDIA cards though. The Geforce 8800GTX, 9800GX2 etc all worked fine in single or SLI configurations.

The 4870 X2 doesn't present the problem either. However it performs like ass on the D5400XS. I believe this is likely due to the nForce 100 MCPs on the board creating extra latency on the PCI-Express bus. (These chips also render the PCI-Express 2.0 lanes only functional as PCI-Express 1.0/1.0a lanes.) All onboard devices on the PCI-Express bus should be PCI-Express 2.0 but the 64 lanes used for the four PCI-Express x16 slots are only 1.0/1.0a capable.

Back